Manga "Eerie Queerie"?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Dilandau, May 21, 2004.

1. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

I ran across a manga titled "Eerie Queerie" while looking over www.tokyopop.com - can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it good? How's the overall art quality? I'm sort of intrigued, but I'm a scrooge who doesn't wanna pay $9.99 each for four volumes without some idea of the story's quality. XD (And my local Borders bookstore doesn't have it, so I can't just go and leaf through to see for myself.)

2. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

I got a free sneak preview manga some of Tokyo Pop's new stuff, and coincidentally I found "Eerie Queerie" in there. Here's a basic summary found preceeding the preview..(though you may already know this)...

Mitsuo Shiozu seems to be particularily attractive to spirits. When his mind and body are taken over by two female ghosts, he winds up acting like the women who possessed him! Needless to say this leads to some compromising situations when his classmates find themselves falling for poor Mitsuo! As if being possessed wasn't bad enough!

Hmm, it says the creator is named Shuri Shiozu, if by any chance you know who that is (I certainly don't, but I figured you might).

It won the 1997 New Manga Artist award, so that must mean the art is at least somewhat appealing, and it also states that it will probably appeal to fans of Gravitation.

From what I was allowed to read of it, the artwork looked pretty decent, though I'm probably not a very good judge, and the story itself looked pretty humorous, though it says the genre is "drama", so maybe it takes a darker turn. I only got about ten pages in all.

It definitely looked worth picking up, though, and I may think about getting it myself!

Hope that helped...

1 person likes this.
  3. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

It certainly did. ^_^ Thank you very much.

I did get the sense from the Tokyopop summaries that it's a shounen ai manga - bonus points in my book. XD If it's been likened to Gravitation, I probably will give it a shot, see if I can pick up a used copy on Amazon or eBay. :3 Admittedly, the Gravitation manga wasn't quite as entertaining as the hype professed - but a lesser-known title like Eerie Queerie doesn't have a huge reputation to live up to. XD

You're right, it does seem to have considerable potential for comedy. Some of the later volumes seemed like they might be more serious, though. Of course, it's tough to tell with the one-paragraph reviews on most websites.