Debate Electoral College

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paper, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Paper

Paper New Member

I had the sudden urge to start a thread about electoral college... Simply put, electoral college is the system where each State is given a number of votes equal to the number of its U.S. Senators(2) and the number of its U.S. Representatives. Each state has a different number of votes that vary from 2 to over 50. The party that has the most popular votes gets all of that state's electoral votes, no matter how close the race. That way, a candidate can win an election without winning the popular vote.

So what does everyone think about this system? o_o

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

I don't think that it has any real use in today's society. It was originally designed under the pretense that every state would submit their own candidate for the Presidency. Besides that, some people use that as an excuse not to vote by saying that it doesn't matter because the electorial college makes the decision anyways.

My verdict, it has to go. It is not working the way it was designed to.

3. Roffey

Roffey I'm As Free As A Bird Now

It was originally intended as a safety net. The founding fathers didn't believe the general public was capable of making informed decisions.

However, times have changed, and people are now much more informed. I believe the majority should rule. The Electoral College shou;d be abolished completely.

(Pst, paper: It ranges from 3 - 50. 2 Senators and at least 1 Rep in the House of Rep.)

1 person likes this.
  4. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

aye, 3 is the minimum allowed, the number then is based on population. and well, in all honesty, since we have the technology to tally the actual votes, why don't we a) make it consistant for all states, so that everyone is doing it the same; b) just count everyone's vote and screw the electoral college. yeah, you could argue it would take longer. but ya know what? seemed to be tallying just fine the other night from what i was watching.

or they make a reality show called "Who wants to be the president" in which you must suffer 4 years to prove how hardy you really are and if you should be the president or not. use of a death cage is encouraged.

1 person likes this.
  5. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

6. sweetasuka

sweetasuka Ahh Ice-Cream!

I don't really know what to say. It was created a long time ago by our forfathers with every intention to make it fair. Wether it be that way or not today I have no say cuz I wouldnt know how to make it better

7. Roffey

I tell you, it was not created to be fair, it was created bhecause they didn't trust the public. As a matter of fact, when it was originally created, they wanted the Electoral COllege to be able to pick the president regardless of the populous vote. Even now the Electoral College could vote differently then the winner of their state, but since the winner chooses them, this never happens.

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Hey Naruto, I have a great idea.

Post a source to back up your claim.

9. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

it's really sad. we voted on the 2nd, not the 5th. california has 55 votes in the college...the article is neat though. just wish i could take it more seriously, as it looks like it's based on old and no longer valid numbers.

10. Roffey

How does every American History textbook I've ever used work? As well as both my American History teachers.
    As well as Forbes.

*Note: When I say "American History textbooks" I mean textbooks of American History

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Thank you, that's much better. Also before you ramble about american history textbooks, keep in mind most of us are not from your nation and hence are not prone to believing every claim that could also come from a kooky conspiracy site due to the way you were saying it?

(Note: In case anyone is asking, no, I wasn't attacking Naruto's claim. I was attacking his laziness in providing sources, which in a debate is a fatal flaw.)