Gravitation English version..what are you thoughts about it?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Badluck, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Badluck

Badluck New Member

Has anyone seen the English version? What did you think of it
    I personally didn't like it, and here are same of the reasons...
    Yuki sounds like a robot, and Shuichi sounds too "flamy".
    The one thing I liked was the songs were not "sung-over" with English Words.
    I can't imagine Shuichi English voice singing.

2. ~ruby_zeal~

~ruby_zeal~ New Member

gahh! i saw the english version on the anime network at a friends house and i hated it!!! :anger2: every time they said "eiri" it sounded like "airy" as in "fairy". not to mention ryu-chan's and tohma's voices sucked too. yuki''s was alright though, could be better. im sticking to the japanese.

3. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

The voice actor doesn't have to sing if the anime has a part where he sings. They can always use someone else who has a good voice to do the singing.

I believe that the japanese version of Gravitation did that.. I mean, Shuichi's voice talking and singing are totally different, well, to me.. I don't think whoever did the songs does Shuichi's voice o_0

4. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Kotani Kinya sang Shuichi's songs.

http://www.kotanikinya.com/ <--- hehe he has his own website. lol.

5. Badluck

Badluck New Member

Tomokazu Seki (Shuichi's voice actor) sings a four of Charater songs. Bird and Break Through, and two new ones that just came out this year,Messenger ~Toki no Shishatachi, and Fake Star.
    Kotani Kinya's songs were used the anime, instead of Tomokazu Seki.

6. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

Eh, it's not a terrible dub. I can honestly stand it. I don't like Yuki's voice in the english version because its so deep. But its quite low in the Japanese version as well.... ah well.
    Badluck, these days they rarely dub the Japanese singing. (And we're glad for that, aren't we?)

7. Strawberrypocky

Strawberrypocky New Member

true true Shuichi did sound like Tenchi and that isnt to well..though I have heard some people dislike that. and some people love the english voice actors..
    >.< I love the anime as much as the next person but the catch phrases are better like when Shuichi yells "La Li Hoooo!" in Japanese and he says "Hiya" in english. Ugh and He didnt even hum Glaring dream in the beginging as he is supposed to do. And Ryuichi didnt do his traditional "Na No Da!" Its dispicable..
    And Yuki sounded like he had something in his throat. *sighs* totally bad..

8. Fujimiya Aya

Fujimiya Aya New Member

I think Yuki's English VA swallowed a sock or something. Seriously.

I was not at all impressed with the english rendition. At least they didn't make Shuichi a girl like the rumors years back said they would. That would have been weird.

9. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

I nver got chance to post on the subs Vs dubs debate before it was binned (why was it btw?) but I actively dislike dubs. You cant separete anime from Japan for me and putting on English voices makes my toes curl.

And to get onto the topic (before the topic police come down on me) Gravitation is so Japanese to my mind, it's not some fantasy in a vague place where possibly people might speak English, its in JAPAN. Having American voices dubbed on to Gravi, well frankly I couldnt take that for more than 30 secs. The whole mood and way of communicating is lost and thats a big part of what makes anime special to me, esp one I like so much like Gravi. I feel the same with a live action film, say like Amelie or House Of Flying Daggers, dubs just suck.

Oh yea someone mentioned the music, so when the music comes on it's suddenly in Japanese, whats that about? OK I see why people are thankful that the original music is kept (I really like Kotani Kinwa's voice, and people often sound completely different when the sing so I dont have a problem with using different people) but it doesn't make sense to the continuity of the production, its just another problem to mentally get over.

10. Engel

Engel New Member

I didn't like the English version. Japanese was waaay better.
    Then again, the dubbed are always bad...especially those coming from Japan..But that's just my opinion.

11. Ryuichilover

Ryuichilover New Member

I like the voices from the Japanese version better. Although it's annoying having to read the whole thing.
    I personally don't have a problem with the English version.