Art Equipment Question

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Alien_Sacrifice, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Alien_Sacrifice

Alien_Sacrifice New Member

Hello all,

I've recently started drawing anime, trying to get better and was wanted to go digital. Coloring's nice and all but it would look better on the computer. Anyway would you suggest Photoshop and a scanner to scan it into the computer? I believe this is the way most people do it, but I wanted to make sure. Aslo can you download Photoshop for free (besides the 7.0 trial?) I used to have it but I don't anymore :anger: I'd appreciate any and all info. -Thanks :D

2. Platinum

Platinum New Member

Hiya Alien_Sacrifice! Sometimes drawings can look really good when coloured using average materials, such as pencils and watercolours (which i've seen put to very good use on here) but yeah, most of the time, using digital technology to colour your image does make it look more professional. Unluckily, i don't possess a scanner, so y'kno, i can't scan in and colour digitally. However, i hope you can get hold of one, scan some stuff in and hopefully someone with the correct knowledge on here will be able to advise you on what software to use to colour your creation!! :) I look forward to seeing some of your stuff in the future!!!:D

3. Sol

Sol New Member

Its true that you can make images look good when you hand color it. But some of us don't have that talent ;). Getting use to digitally rendering anime pics can take a while but well worth it in the long run.

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

A good way of doing it also, is to color in your sketch by hand, then scan it in. Then, not only will you have a color code to work with...you can make some nice looking fades and other effects with color already present and you also coloring above that.

And yeah, most people seem to use photoshop. You don't actually need 7, being that it's not too different from 6. Heck, you really don't need anything past 5 or 6, whichever came with the magnetic lasso and some other upgrades. I myself use 6, cuz I'm happy with it and see no reason to upgrade.

And yeah, you can download full versions off of Kazaa and everything. Although, it *IS* ILLEGAL. Photoshop, retail, costs 649.99 bucks. Seriously. I know so because I sold it some guy a couple days ago. But, those Kazaa photoshops MAY leave a watermark on your project, showing to those who know what to look for that you have a pirated copy of a really powerful editing tool. Now, I don't actually KNOW what that watermark looks like...and since it's a watermark, it's not so blatantly obvious...so I don't really care about it.

5. Alien_Sacrifice

Alien_Sacrifice New Member

I was just looking for a program to really use personally not anything too fantastic...so I'm a little weary of forking out $600.00 for photoshop. (Although I do understand why it costs so much) I have a slow connection so downloading such a large program is out of the question!:p

I've used paint and I think that works pretty well and I've also used colored pencils, but it leaves too much white...it doesn't really fill in everything...I guess unless you take the time to REALLY color every part. (and press HARD!) But I've never taken that much effort when using them. I've used oil cryons before and they work well, but to get them I'd have to find them off the interent somewhere.

Anyway, I just liked how some of the anime pic's on the interent looked. They were obviously done on the computer and I just wanted to try and create the same kinda effects. But unless I fork out dough it doesn't look like that's happening.:eek:

-Thanks for the replys and anymore info you might have:)

6. Sol

Sol New Member

Or maybe use watercolor or stamp markers. I heard stamp markers don't curl up the paper and go through it.

7. Inu-Girl

Inu-Girl New Member

Have you ever tried using Copic markers? There really cool I love them! I got some for my birthday from my aunt. They don't make streaks and they just are cool. But they slightly leak on normal paper and if you get Copic markers you can use a certain kind for a Copic marker airbrush.

8. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Where can you buy Copic Markers? I've been looking for them for sooo long!

It's right up there with the elusive Duo plushie!

9. Tetsuo

Tetsuo New Member

If you wan't a free graphic program try to search for a program called pixia (or something starting with pix..:shy3: ).

I once used it and its really really good, although quite hard to use. but i think it was free and almost as good as the 600$ programs so id give it a try.

PS. if you find it but the file is too big, get gozilla or getright and continue downloading the file whenever you like.

Hope any of this helps.

10. Inu-Girl

Inu-Girl New Member

Well you can always got to Japan to get Copic markers, or on the other hand go to http://howtodrawmanga.com and go to its shop to buy them.:D

11. JavaJunky

JavaJunky Guest

check out www.newegg.com for scanners...I just bought an HP 5400 for $143...it's a really good one...

12. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Copic markers

Painter is another good program ^_^! I suggest the use of markers if programs such as Photoshop and painter seem impossible to obtain. As for the copic markers, they can be really expensive.

If you are searching for them, just go to the official site and it has the listing of all the stores nearest to you :)

http://www.copicmarker.com/

Eggplant's personal experience:

Those in England and particularly at the capital can find them at London's Graphic Shop. I've seen the markers but no sign of the spray brush :)

Some sites that have other markers
    http://akadotretail.com/shop/index.php?
    has neko markers... never used them though ^_^;;