Computers ERROR MESSAGE:unable to init. shader system.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by pedros, Nov 22, 2004.

1. pedros

pedros New Member

HI .I have recently purchased &installed half-llife 2. When i start the game i get the error message, "unable to init. shader system." I have the latest build of directx , 9.0c ,but when i open its display properties i cannot access the check-boxes for DirectDraw and Direct3D. These I'm told have to be checked. I have set vid. acceleration to high in advanced settings as well., along with the latest driver for my video card. (GEForce FX 5700 )I'm suspecting the vid card cannot play the game.Can anyone shed any light on what might be wrong? I can play other pc games like DOOM 3 and GTA quite ok.

2. pedros

pedros New Member

same...

bak..why when i check which version of driver i have thru the run command, i find it is dated like 29.8 .02 ??/...this cannnot be the latest driver !!..and yet i have downloaded the latest driver (from manufacturer) and installed it .Man , this is a mazeeee!!!! :confused:

3. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Try to update your drivers for the Video Card. HL2's demands are big so, try that.

- Teddz

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Wow. This is the second case of this in the few days since Half-Life 2's release. Hopefully we figure out the cause this time... :)

From Steam's support page regarding this error:

Hope this helps,
    BMS

1 person likes this.
  5. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Guess HL2 requires a special designed graphics card. I think Radeon cards are flawless when playing HL2

- Teddz

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Traditionally, ATI cards perform better with DirectX apps, and NVidia with OpenGL, but there should be no reason the game wouldn't run with a decent GeForce card.

And we know this sort of issue is not an ATI/Nvidia issue, because the previous poster was using a Radeon card and getting similar results.

Have yet to get HL2 a try myself, but I would imagine I would have to do step 3 - I don't use my secondary display, but I do forget to disable it after updating my drivers sometimes.