Debate Exploration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Basher, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Yes there has been a debate for years on exploration it has finally found its way to M2A.

I have heard agruments on space exploration why it isn't good or is and about why isnt there doing anymore explorations of the earth like in the ocean. I just want to find out what real ppl think.

I watched part of a segment (okay listened to) dealing with bring objects from mars to earth to be tested. Some scientist fear that it could be the end of the world because of some kind of organism. Others want to find out if any life form was on mars if there was why did they die out? BTW why are moon rocks more safe the anything from mars? i alwats believed the man on the moon jk

*opens hands* debate it at will.

2. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Nice debate topic, Basher.

Personally, I'm in favor of space exploration. But that's the sci-fi geek in me speaking out. I think that we need to get NASA off the 'Use Giant Rockets to put things into Orbit' mentality, and figure out alternate, cheaper methods of getting things out there. If we can do that, then space exploration will have a future.

- Ark

3. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

nasa aint big rocket players. they're doing lots of experimental propulsion system, like the ion drive system. among many others. They're just extremly complex. and need the funding that they don't get. they'd rather spend it on wars... but thats another debate:cool: .
    oceans are as difficult to explore as space is. and most of it hasn't been explored. but i think theres much more beyond earth worth searching for.
    the sun wont last forever, everyone knows this, eventually the earth will cool to a giant iceburg until the sun expands and sends earth to a firery hell. so if we want a future it makes sense to look for one. (besides, we've screwed this earth up enough already.).
    scientists believe that one of the moons of jupiter, (phobos) is basically all water, with a surface of ice. in fact it's really certain that it is..., but one of the most extreme environments on earth, where organisms exist, is around geothermic vents on the ocean floor. so if life extists anywhere out there, this is the most likely place for it.
    would you like to know if theres life outside earth?.

besides space exploration is the provider of so many things you take for granted. without space exploration, many forms of technology simply wouldn't exist.
    like the microwave for instance.

the moon is a much more sterile environment than mars is. it's much smaller, has less userfriendy elements than mars and is less likely to have anything in it.
    Besides, if any of the moon rocks had virus then it probably would have spread by now.
    Mars has everything that is needed to sustain life, except an atmosphere, so it's more likely to have life in it.
    madels have already been proposed in nasa that could create an atmosphere habitable. all they need is more money, and time. (but mainly more money).:D

4. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i do believe i read something once that said there wasa certain type of fungus or moss that can grow on mars if moved from earth. if that's so, we just need to put some there and remember to water it hehe insta-atmospere hehe

and i do agree with ark, nasa should find a cheaper and safer way to get into space and stay there for extended lengths of time. not just blast up satellites and send to rich to the moon and back every now and again. they test propulsion systems, they should find soemthing better eventually. but they arne't testing anything really new at all. thus is why the same 4 shuttles well, 3 now, are still in use after years of constant use. and now, those are showing their age.(a note: a shuttle is not the giant rocket with the flames out the bottom. the shuttle is the white plan attached to said rocket.)

but personally, i would just love to see them figure out an antigravity device of some sort. babylon5, here we come! hehe

5. Basher

I think that there should be more space exploration. We should try and use the resources some of the planets might have. Maybe there have already been objects from mars on earth. I would not doubt it at all. Considering the panic it might cause. It would be best if any government kept it from the world.

I wouldn’t mind finding out if there was life on another planet. Come on ET phone home. :) I wonder how many galaxies there actually are. I wouldn’t be surprised if the universe did actually end and we were inside one of those glass snow balls. To me that would be so cool but not likely to happen.

I am also all for exploring the ocean more. There is probably over a hundred species of fish that haven’t been named yet. I read somewhere about over a hundred insects don’t have names so it’s probably the same for fish. I would like to know if they are real mermaids or any dinosaurs were left.

I guess its just safe to say that until technology has more advances we will still be grounded to the planet earth. I do agree with Ark on the fact that NASA could hurry up and find a cheaper way to make rockets blast off. As far as the earth going into a freeze cap I thought that earth was getting warmer. Or is that just because of the holes in the ozone layer?

6. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Let me answer it now. No, there is no mermaids. Prehistoric creatures on the other hand are a possibility.
    NASA probably won't be coming up with much if they don't have the funding. There are some really great ideas there but they need a lot of funding that they aren't going to get. Which is a shame really and means we may not see much space exploration in our life time.

I read that some predict that in the near future China and India will take over the space race.

Oh and sorry to be a know it all but the moon of Jupiter Poom Poom is talking about is actually called Europa. Phobos is one of Mars' moons.

7. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

whoops, is too:D .. why did i say phobos?....:rolleyes:

8. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

i support space exploration....
    and...
    I read somewhere that they are trying to use strong electromagnets to get into space also instead of BIGBIG rockets.

9. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

They're also trying to uses solar sails. Which sound promising

but there is some scepticism

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993895

But at least they are trying, which is a step in the right direction.

I've gotten sick of real world news and being pissed off and angry about it. It's good to read about space exporation and reseach. Gets the hopes up. New Scientist is always good for that.

And there's always quantum physics if you want to melt your brain.

10. Basher

Mad, dont tell me theres no mermaids. Disney has never steered me wrong. Next you will say that there is no Atlantis. Mad you better not say anything. :p

Maybe we should pay more attention to the ocean

Where did you get the info on the space race?

heres a pic of a mermaid
    see they do exist :p

11. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Well got that info in an article writen by a guy who's job is to predict future events for large companies and some governments by examining events today.

I forget where I read it, it was a few weeks ago. It was either on the net or in a magazine. Some of the predictions seemed far fetched like the US invading Mexico, but some of them were spot on like an African holocaust and discovering that mermaids don't exist.
    I'll have to search for it again, it was pretty interesting.

12. Odango_rose

Odango_rose New Member

Of couse, exploration will happen even if we didn't want it to.

NASA does work on methodes of getting there other than "bigbig rockets"(lol) as other people have posted. You also musn't forget that there are many other countrys who are working to beat the US at sending certain thngs out there. one way or another it's going to happen now or later.

13. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

I agree with Basher19 when saying that we should explore the Oceans more.

Humans have always looked for the stars for answers, we have forgotten to look in the most obvious place... beneath our own feet.

14. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Couldn't have said it better myself, Raven. ^_^ I have no doubt at all that the human race will eventually build something to withstand teh pressure, and then ruin all they find down in teh sea, and out in space. Or try to anyway. I'm gonna shut up before I get into a sci-fi story.

15. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

That looks like a warped piece of metal hanging on the bottom of some pond, Basher. ;)

As for exploration, I say "Space, the final frontier".

It's more interesting, that's why. We can see planets, stars, and galaxies way out around us. All sort of neat movement out there.
    Get deep into the ocean and what do you see? A whole lot of water, not much else.

With space, there are targets and goals in sight.

With the oceans, it's very hard to pick a target so easily. You more or less have to research probabilities and guess where to look.

And aliens seem more interesting than fish and water weed. C'mon! :p

16. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

nah, there's plenty of weird lifeforms and interesting sheet down under the sea.

we don't know as much about this planet as we are led to believe..

17. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

And how about UNDERWATER aliens? :p other planets have oceans too! LOL

Sorry, i'm not much in the "debate" mood right now ^^;;;

18. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

hmm i heard an interesting report a while back, it predicted that soon the space race will be taken over by india and china. (really.)

19. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

hmm i heard an interesting report a while back, it predicted that soon the space race will be taken over by india and china. (really.)
    If china can make rockets as strong as their McDonald's happy meal toy's, nasa could be in trouble.:p