Computers Explorer text size vs. Website text size

Discussion in 'Computers' started by That guy!, Nov 12, 2003.

1. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I'm having a bit of a problem on my site where people with different text size settings see everything on my site as overlapped. I am using layers so maybe I should use tables, but tables or not I've also noticed some sites where the text size does not change no matter what setting you have with Internet Explorer. Does anyone know the code to do this?

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Easy.

Use style sheets. Classes using a specified font size will not resize not matter what browser size they have set in IE.

With Netscape users, and possibly other browsers, it's out of your control.

You really ought to be using style sheets for your text, anyway. Makes things so much easier to change later on.

3. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Yes, you should use tables. Your actual problem is that you're setting the layer (div's) widths and heights as fixed, and not as percentage.

This is a very old problem. Liquid layout vs. fixed layout.

I really recommend you grabbing a CSS tutorial. If you want your font sizes to be fixed (hindering accessibility in the way), you should use px units. I.e:

.myfont { font-size:12px; }

If you want a more flexible layout, you should use percentages as width in your td's or div's.

i.e. 25% instead of "150px".

In any case, use CSS as much as possible. That will help your site be maintainable.

[edit] ARGH Bakamattsu, you beat me on this one! :p is this a race or what? [/edit]