Debate Fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chance, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Well, here's something I've been wondering about...

Everyone has their own fantasy they think should be their life. Their job or their house, or their family...They have the idea of what it should be, and the realization of what it is. In truth though, If you really had the choice to live that dream, would you? Would it really be worth it?

2. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

That depends. Because if we had the choice to live our dream without a cost, we easly would. But I think all things come at a price.
    People ussually would preffer fantasy over reality, because fantasization is our picture of perfect. We know that it's unreal because its what we wish was really going on.
    But then if everyone lived in their little fantasy world, would they be wishing for anything else?
    I think they would. We always want something better than we have.

- Kaiyon

3. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Of course. People are greedy, selfish jerks who care about nothing but what they have, and what they want. If you gave someone everything they ever wanted, I guarantee they will demand more. Of course, there are exceptions to that, as there are to every rule. But for the most part, that's how people are.

Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't mind living in my fantasy world. The only problem is, it leaves very little room for this life. I would have to abandon all that I know and have been to get there, and even though I want it very badly, I wonder, is it really worth it? Is it worth giving up my entire life for?

4. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

For me, yes. Yes it would be worth it. Sure, most of it would require giving up everything I currently have and have worked so hard for, but if anything, that's actually part of my fantasy: to take what I've been up to now and find the courage to throw it all away. Not sure how to debate this, but hey.

5. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

I think most people would drop everything for that one sign of happiness. Yet, I don't think I could do it. I mean, I can't see myself letting my little peice of **** life go for something better. I've had chances, but I turned them down because truthfully, I enjoy the pain, and the sorrow as much as the happiness and the love. It all makes me what I am today...

Benevolent? I think not...
    Lucky

6. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Isn't the fantasy world supposed to be perfect for everyone? If it could be possible to reach that'd worth giving up what you have. Say, hipothetically, if Shinryu's fantasy is to be Otaru Mamiya at Terra II he wouldn't be able to login to BJP again. But, if he includes, a communications system between the Earth and Terra II wouldn't he receive everything he wants? It'd be perfect.

:p

7. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

Definetly Worth it....I mean...it is a dream. Who doesnt want to live a dream?

8. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

To tell ya the truth no. I put myself where i am at today...I don't regret anything bad or good i did because i wanted to do it..I could wish some people were alive in my life and i was rich and very,very beautiful but, think
    if everything in life were perfect it would be boring wouldn't it? Do you think
    maybe if you were this and that you would be happy? No because something is always missing, life in a dream ,isn't even perfect nothing is.

Sorry if i make no sense... :p

9. Vicious

Well if things would be boring then it wouldnt be perfect now would it. The thing is that the dream is something you really desire. And being human, is something you are willing to go far for. Im pretty sure people here pursue a dream they want. I dont regret anything I did but i still wouldnt mind having my dream fulfilled.

10. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Your right..i'm sorry just sometimes i do really wish my dreams were real and
    some loved ones were here but, i can't ever live my dream so i find every
    reason not to want one.

11. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Well I think we all have dreams, don't we? But this reminds me of what St. Augustine said about happiness.

If we know or have an idea of what happiness is, then we must have been touched by it at some point in our life. (He was talking about how we come from God, and that God has put in our hearts a desire for happiness which only He can provide).

We must face the fact that there will be problems in our life and it won't be perfect. For example, I just found out that I have this cronic stomach disease - a hiatal hernia. It's not mortal, but it needs surgery to be fixed permanently - it's that or medication for life.

I had put many hopes in having a "normal and healthy life", but I guess I must not want that anymore. At least not until I get enough money for the surgery.

But it's useless to keep complaining, so I have to go on. I have to cope with my problems, we all have. Otherwise we might lose whatever happiness we can get.

What worries me is those who aren't strong enough to take this step (resignation, or hope that things might - or will - get better later), or those who escape from their problems hoping for things they KNOW can't be true ("maybe I'll win the lottery and my financial problems will be over") and end up hurting themselves more.

I strongly believe that we can find happiness/peace here on earth - not the ideal situation, but something that we can live "happily" in, if we put enough effort.

So my message to those in pain would be: "Don't give up! Sooner or later, no matter how much time it takes, things will get better". :)

12. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

for me, i'd stay with my 'real' life, rather than the picture perfect one. because in truth, you know the meaning of hard work, and what kind of effort you need to put into something inorder to recieve something. it's like when it's summer and you see this awesome car that just came out, and you wanted it ever since the previews, etc, but you didn't have any cash and your parents wouldn't give it to you. so you get a job. at your job, you work hard, inorder to get paid. then after all that elbow grease, you finally come to your goal, and get your car with your very own money. that item suddenly means a lot more, and you really want to take good care of it. rather than lets say you just told your parents you wanted that, and they instantly bought it for you. once you have it, it doesn't hold so much of a value anymore, and you may not treat it to your best extent.

if everything was picture perfect, you wouldn't know the true value of things, and may take it for granted. (i think that's the word.) when that something got broken, you'd just throw it away, and just buy another one. it's like water going through your hands... while when you worked hard on it, your item may be in better condition than the other, and not of broken down.

that's why, like others, i don't accept gifts. i have to buy things my own with my own savings. it sounds kinda greedy, but... hn...

lol. doesn't make sense.

13. Vicious

And who cares about true values when you are living the life? Apperently all the rich people care about the poor so much because they know about the true values right. The fact that it is a fiction like world is all the more reason to be in it. It is a world of your desires. A world of your wanting. Who would care about true value when you have this at your disposal.

14. Cylor

Cylor New Member

[$.02]In my experience, the things you think you want, and the things from which you will truly benefit, are very often vastly different.[/$.02]