Movies Fantastic Four

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Seishin, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Seishin

Seishin Guest

If you haven't heard yet, the movie for the Fantastic 4 is coming out July 1st, 2005. I don't know much about the story yet.

But here, the "Fantastic Four" trailer (you'll need quicktime):
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/fantastic_four/

Choose the size you want the trailer in.

So, now that you've seen the trailer, or if you've already seen it, what are your thoughts/comments on this movie?

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

...Oh dear God. WHY does Doctor Doom have superpowers like that?! I always thought he was just a genius?

Either way... um. I smell a trainwreck of a film.

3. Seishin

Seishin Guest

May i ask, how come?

I think it looks really good, especially the special effects, Hollywood could possibly be at it's best!

-SakataKentaro

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Bad casting; Dr Doom has his whole identity shat on; Hollywood seems to have a lot of misses when it comes to lesser known superheroes. While F4 is not a niche by any means, it is not as well known as Bat/Super/Spider.

5. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

My sentiments exactly. When I first saw the trailer a while ago, I just thought it was cheesy. And I don't recall there being a 5th person on the mission.. who then went bad? but I could be wrong. Anyways, I'm waiting for another trailer to see what the story is about. Really, story over special effects.

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

There was no fifth person. They just decided to screw around with Doctor Doom and figured an actual personality on the villian wouldn't sell, so they may as well give him lightning powers (OH WOW HOLLYWOOD YOU DAZZLE ME WITH YOUR UNNECESSARY TACKED ON SUPERPOWER THAT REACHED ITS VISUAL PEAK IN 1983 IN RETURN OF THE JEDI SO YOU DON'T NEED TO WRITE GOOD SCRIPTS OR ANYTHING)

7. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Yes, i think the 5th member was supposed to be Dr. Doom. Right now, only (to me) the special effects look good in the movie. The story so fora, sounds like another failure, but i also could be wrong. And like you mentioned, i too am waiting for a new trailer to be revealed, so it could explain the story quite a bit more, so maybe then i'll be able to see how the plot is gonna be....

-SakataKentaro

8. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I got this from the Dr. Doom fanlisting (http://www.fanlistings.org/dr_doom/bio.php) - it's ihard to read so I copied it over:

"Born a gypsy, whose mother was a practicing witch, Victor Von Doom spent his early years on the run from the totalitarian authorities that then governed Latveria. His terrific intellect brought him to the attention of a State University recruiter, who offered Doom a scholarship to their school. While there, Doom constructed a device with which to contract his mother's spirt in the nether world. Despite the warnings of a young classmate, Reed Richards, Doom prematurely activated the device, which exploded, horribly scarring this face! Expelled for his actions, Doom wandered the globe, eventually being taken in by a mysterious tribe of monks near the Himalayas. They taught hi the secrets of sorcery and helped him forge his powerful suit of battle armor! This hideously-scarred face now hidden behind a cold, iron mask, Doctor Doom returned to his native Latveria, overthrowing the existing government and taking the throne of the nation for himself! Now, he has but two goals: to bring the entire world under his rule and to destroy Reed Richards, whom he blames for the accident that ruined his face!"

Holy crap! Sounds like a cool movie in itself, here! All movie makers had to do was pop in a few flashbacks or start the movie a bit int he past, then later have Dr. Doom reappear to kick F4 buttocks... or at least Reed's..

edit: wasn't there a Fantastic Four movie made in the 80's that flopped?

9. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Dr. Victor Doom. What would people think of you when you last name is "Doom"?*snicker*--

--Anyways, if this IS indeed his story, then F4 may be something worthwhile, not like other super-hero movies...*cough*Catwoman*cough*

-SakataKentaro

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Well in this new movie, as he's on the mission and has lightning powers, it's safe to assume it's NOT the Dr Doom from the comics. Dr Dooms "power" was more that he was just a bloody genius; he was, IIRC, never a 'traditional' villian.

And yeah, there was an 80s F4 movie.

11. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Dr. Doom's real story as according to the comics, would be a great movie story. But this F4 movie may not be liked by me for the same reason I didn't really like the first X-Men movie.

anyways. that actor who plays the 'bad guy' isn't he that Cole guy from Charmed who then went bad again unfortunately and had satanic evil powers as well? o.0