Comics Favorite 'Independent' Comics

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Billy277, May 2, 2004.

1. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

While I'm not a fan of 'Hellboy' or 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen', I was glad to see their movies do well. I feel it's a good thing for comics that don't have DC or Marvel on the cover to do well and level the playing field.

That said, there are some excellent alternative comics out there, and I'm wonder which ones are all of your favorites. I know there's a ton of Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim fans out there, but what else? There are two that I'm a huge fan of: Usagi Yojimbo and Bone. Hopefully some of you have heard of them. :)

2. soundofsilence

soundofsilence New Member

Usagi Yojimbo is great. Gotta love a samurai bunny. I've read a few issues of Powers, it seems to be a great series. I really wish it was easier to find copies of though. Hm, does The Sandman count as an "independant" comic? Vertigo published it, but Vertigo is owned by DC, I think. Oh well. If it does, than the Sandman is my favorite; if not, Powers.

3. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Sure, it can count. :) What's Powers about?

4. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

hehe i know what bone is from wizard alone...bf has some though i guess...

(speaking of wizard, i have a letter published in an old one. for trivia, which one is me? mwahaha hint: has a mcfarlane spawn on the cover, white background. i get a pic with comment about my letter, and my "weight" insulted in a positive light)

Creed was good ( i love frogs XD ), and well, if we're counting vertigo's sandman as independant, the i'm calling Preacher from vertigo also. ^^ freaking love that soooo much.

5. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

I really ought to start following Bone again. :/ I did for years, and then stopped when I moved because the local comic stores only carry the widely-known superhero crap.

I'd have to say, though, there was one comic that I was very much into for quite some time - called "I, Lusiphur" initially (while it was being self-published by the artist, under Mulehide Graphics) and then "Poison Elves" when Sirius picked him up. It's not something I'd recommend to the weak-stomached or easily offended, since it's a mess of gratuitous violence, sex, and general immorality. XD But the early artwork had a beautiful look when it came to faces (dammit, then the artist's style developed and his characters became less pretty and more manly >:/), and the story is very involved and complex.

6. soundofsilence

soundofsilence New Member

Powers follows a pair of police officers as they investigate crimes in a city full of superheroes. (Sorry, I can't remember their names, it's been a while since I've read it.) One issue I read involved a tape of a big-named superhero having uh, relations with an under-aged girl, so it's not for kids. That's all I can say about it. I'm trying to find the graphic novels, but I haven't found any so far.