Last Exile Favorite Last Exile Pairings?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Dilandau, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Yep, I loooove "favorite pairings" threads. XD But hey - they make for good discussions about the characters.

Please don't kill anyone's argument for a couple by saying, "But so-and-so gets paired up officially/dies/etc. at the end!" Last Exile has not been fully released outside Japan yet, so I ask that you are ESPECIALLY careful to use spoiler tags.

As for me...

Dio/Claus - Because they've got all the makings of a really amusing, cute relationship. XD Dio is clingy all over Claus, glomps him, and even gives him a pet name - while Claus is embarassed and mildly horrified by that kind of behavior. *snicker* It's the kind of pairing that could work on a number of levels, from humorous and fluffy to very deep and angsty. Dio's fascination with Claus is very evident from pretty much his first appearance, and whether you think it's amorous intent on his part or not, the potential is there.

Dio/Luciola - There's a lot of trust, devotion, and reliance between these two. They share some adorable moments in-series. They're a fairly obvious possibility, and again, one that could be anything from casually flirtatious (on Dio's end) to a deep and loving relationship.

Tatiana/Alister - They're long-time friends, and although their relationship gets a bit rocky, I see the possibility. (See, I DO support pairings that aren't yaoi! XD)

Two pairings I do NOT like, however, are Alex/Claus and Claus/Lavie. Alex has his own reasons for being what I consider an "unpairable" character - someone who should not be paired off easily (if at all) by fans, because it doesn't fit his psychology. *keeps spoilers to herself* As for Claus/Lavie... :/ That's a sibling relationship. They grew up together - and while I don't doubt that they could have entertained a mutual crush (MANY people have their first crush or crush-like feelings for a family friend, cousin, or even close relative because they're familiar rolemodels), I just don't see it becoming a full-fledged romantic relationship. They relied on each other so much during their childhood that it's only natural they would need to learn to rely on themselves and others as the series progresses, and I think that's one of the primary impediments to their plausibility as a pairing - both of them are growing outward, not growing closer together.

2. Black Robed One

Black Robed One New Member

Alistia/Claus - Yay, I like nonstandard parings! I agree that there is little basis for such a pairing, but there were a few very kawaii scenes that invlved Alistia and Claus. And under certain circumstances (and in Alernative Universe) this pairing could have worked out.

Note: it is “Alistia”, not “Alister”! Alister sounds more like a male name, don’t you think?

Donya/Moran - Once again, there were a few very kawaii scenes involving Donya and Moran, but unfortunately they’ve met a little bit too late in the anime, and thus their relations were never developed anywhere far.

3. Dilandau

Yes, I always felt kind of weird about the "Alister" spelling. On the other hand, it's what I've seen 9 times out of 10, and I haven't hear her name clearly spoken enough times yet to really form an opinion. XD Plus, I never had the fansubs to bias me towards that spelling.

Then again, "Luciola (Luciora/Lucciora)" is not terribly masculine-sounding by the standards of many cultures, because the "-a" ending is often considered feminine. So eh, I've stopped trying to make anime names conform to what seems natural to me.

I will admit, though, she seems a closer match to Claus' personality than, say, Lavie (who seems to get paired with him a LOT in fanfics, unsurprisingly -_-).

4. Black Robed One

Black Robed One New Member

Well yes, but if I remember correctly, it was Dio who gave Luciora (at least, his name is Luciora in my version of translation as well as on my favorite Last Exile website) his name. And... khm... Let's say that Dio isn't exactly the most normal person around. ^_^

Well, I wouldn't say that Claus/Lavie is such a terrible pairing. True, I don't like this pairing much, but mostly because their relations were depicted so well in the original animated series, and thus, IMHO, they leave very little room for fanfictional stories.

However, their personalities, although very different, make a perfect whole: i.e. Claus' tenderness and carefullness combied with Lavie's aggression and determination. And while it is true that Claus and Lavie are very different from each other, we must never forget that differences tend to attract each other...

5. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

did any of you say Sophia/Alex?
    Alex has his own reasons for not showing his feelings to Sophia. I mean his last love died while they were travelling the Grand Stream. It's only natural for him to shut out his feelings. Sophia, you can tell has always loved him. Alex's last words were 'Sophia'.[/quote]

Any other pairings I'd say are really evident in the anime.

6. Dilandau

Eh, I don't like Alex/Sophia. As I see it,
    Alex was too much in love with Euris (sp?) still. It's obvious that his love for her and his desire to avenge her were his motivation throughout the series. While I won't deny that Sophia was obviously in love with Alex, I don't think he felt the same. Though it's possible he did have feelings for her, I think that his lost love still had a stronger hold on him.

Also - and don't quote me on this, I still haven't seen the last 3 episodes - the way I heard it, the last thing he said was Euris' name. But Wina (the woman who handles the audio input and sound signatures aboard the Silvana) tells Sophia that Alex said her name instead, apparently to let Sophia think he did return her feelings, and thereby perhaps make things a little easier on her in the long run.

Actually, while we're on that subject, here are a few interesting tidbits. First off, I'm told that "lucciora" (Luciola's name in the Italian release of LE) means "firefly," and I know that "luciola" is part of the scientific name of the Japanese firefly. Interesting, then, that the domestic release names Delphine's right-hand man, who is also Luciola's brother, "Cicada" (which is, of course, a type of insect). And one of the names that Dio considers when naming Luciola is "Mantis" - another insect.

7. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Alex said 'to the skies' so none of us know whose name he called after that. Remember when Sophia got off the cargo ship and the guild engineer said 'Euris' .. I found it interesting because she did ressemble Euris.

edit: What about Vince and Sophia? you think she'll be able to pick anyone she wants though?

8. Milkycrownlover

Milkycrownlover New Member

Hey~! this is my first post in there forums~! i am probably the biggest last exile fan on here.. and yes dilandu (hello again remember me?) you are absolutely right~! on an interview with range murata, Last Exiles character designer, he said that a idea was tossed around by the animators and directors about naming the characters after specific bugs. Luciola is italian for firefly, and it is part of the japaneese scientific term. there is a real reason why they named Cicada "cicada". He is luciolas elder brother, there fore luciola had his name far before tha animators ever thought up Cicada, considering he wasnt a major character. cicada the bug, is directly related, as in the same family, to the firefly, AKA. Luciola. in american the name for the italian cicada is cicadus. Because Cicada is Luciolas brother, they named him that. and when Dio is picking a name for luciola, he also mentions obligus, which is a praying mantus in latin.

Sayinnoooraaaa~!

Milk-chan~!

9. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

so... what is your favourite Last Exile pair?

10. Milkycrownlover

Hey ciel~! My most favorite last exile pairing is Luciola/Dio. Even though i dont like the idea of them being a romantic couple as in Yaoi, I still like the idea of their deep friendship and loyalness for one another. I truthfully think the only person Dio loved was Luciola; he always felt so cold and unwanted... but when luciola was around, all of that went away. he felt loved, and if felt like luciola could make all his pain go away. I think that this couple is widely misunderstood by fans of yaoi. The only reason whey Luciola and dio are so close is because they only have one another; they love eachother becuase they have no one to love them in return. all of the other cold hearted members of the guild, expecially delphine, showed no love towards them. thats why they stick together through the good times and the bad, becuase they love eachother. the only have Eachother.

That is why i think this is such and amazing couple. i dont believe their is any sexual orientation between the couple. But i still read doujinshi about them engaging in sexual activities, althogh i dont believe they would ever do that.

What do you thinkof this couple Ciel~?

Attached Files:

• 119.jpg
      119.jpg
      File size:
      20.3 KB
      Views:
  11. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I love that pairing as well. I didn't see it as a romantic/sexual pairing in any way, it was more deep than that. It was very tragic what happened and I wish it had turned out differently. Dio just couldn't function without Luciola. And Luciola only thought about protecting Dio but then he ended up not being there for Dio when he needed him again. I think the doujinshi where they depict them both in sexual activity degrades the relationship they had.

12. Milkycrownlover

Hey ciel, again~! I am so glad to know that there is another person that thinks diffrently (the same as i do) about the/a sexual relationship between luciola and dio. i dont think they would ever do that, and like you said, their relationship is a very deep one. and your also right on this one too... it does degrade their relationship with one another. But like i said, i do read the doujinshi about them engaging in sexual activities. I really do get a charge/goodie out of looking at them having that kind of relationship. but like i said, even though it is sorta cool to see them do that, i never EVER would believe that they would do somthing like that. their relationship is deep, and sometimes people (yaoi fans too,) take in the wrong way. Ciel, do you have any last exile doujinshi? i have 8 last exile doujinshi, but not the hentai, yaoi ones. i get the scans via e-mail from my friend ACXchan. By the way, do you have a website called ciels cell? i love that website~! if it is you, i think the art os anime abstractey, and it almost looks as if it was made with watercolor paints, instead of copic markers. I also make last exile doujinshi myself. all of them are Dio/Luciola related, and their all happy stories.

Byeeeee~!

13. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

That's really cool that you make last exile doujinshi. and no :( that isn't my site, but sounds like a good place. I don't have last exile doujinshi, yet I wonder since you own many, what are the most popular pairings in them?

14. IceCreamSister1

IceCreamSister1 New Member

See my signature. That's my favorite pairing.

[edit]Glad you found someone you know around here but... please keep to topic, what I've deleted belongs to private chats... or use our PM to talk. Thank you

- Shen [Mod]
    [/edit]