Square Enix Favourite Final Fantasy Mage

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GentatsuNoZanshi cc61, Jan 30, 2002.

?

Which type of mage is your favourite?

1. Red (uses black and white magic)

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Blue (Quina, Kimahri, etc.)

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Black (Vivi, Lulu, etc.)

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. White (Garnet, Rosa)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Time (Stop, Slow, Haste, often included in white)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Summoner (Garnet, Eiko, Yuna)

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

In the Final Fantasy series, there have always been mages, or "magic-users", as you might call them. We've seen red, black, white and blue, time, summoners, and I'm probably forgetting something too. Which is your favourite?

2. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Summoner! Don't you guys love the JOB system!!!

:) :D I choose summoner, cuz I'm a summoner and I like summoners.

I think what made me choose summoners is the fact that in the previous games, I had a lot of good times with them.
    FFt: I trained my summoners to be powerful, and I took pride in my accomplishment
    FF4: Rydia, never failed me. I used her to beat the most of the bosses as well as the final boss.
    FF5: Reina is my summoner, however I didn't complete the game
    FF6: VERY ESSENTIAL, I used a lot of summons to beat bosses
    FF7: My firsy ff game intoduced me to the art of summoning
    FF8: I fought Omega Weapon jsut for the sake to aquiring my precious Eden. Siren, Bahamut, Shiva, and Carbunkle are my favorites.
    FF9: The main theme is summoning! EIko and garnet powers are awesome!
    FF10: Yuna! My favorite character.... yet Many more summoning experiences awaits me in that game
    FF11: You will all see me a summoner. If you ever need a summoner in your party, I'm there ;)

convincing isn't it...:p

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

In one word - versatile

Oh, Red Mage, where has your respect gone after the excellent first game appearance?

What's so stylish and cool about red, other than his fancy feather capped hat? How about the fact that he's good at everything?!

He can heal with the goodness of White, and he can blast foes with that tasty Black, and even then, he can throw on good armor and weapons and fight almost at the level of any good warrior...

The only sacrifice is that versatility comes at a cost later on. Yes, he can do all that, but at the cost of the ultimate techniques... Red Mage can't equip the strongest armor, weapons, and magic... but everything else pretty makes up for it...

And now some stray comments on other mages:

Blue - A very interesting group indeed, having to track down monsters to use their techniques... some of my favorite magics I've come across have been blue (Big Guard, or Mighty Guard from ff7/9... White Wind is a classic), but while that's true, alot of Blue magic is just plan useless, often hard to track down if you don't know where to look, and thus doesn't make it a very good choice...

Black - My runner up. How can you go wrong with destructive force? Flare... Meteor... Ultima... A staple mage for any boss...who cares if he can't fight worth squat?

White - Essential, but usually not a favorite. While they generally have more power in battle than the Black Mage, having very little to offer other than protection and healing doesn't rank them high on the charts...

Time - Umm...i think Square wanted an extra category for the Jobs system, so they took some white magic and tossed it into its own class. Useless in any system other than a Job system. I wouldn't trust any Time mage with my party...

Summoner - Powerful, yes. Expensive, hell yeah. Summoners bring in the big powerful spells that can sometimes leave others in their dust. The cost? Summoners are the weakest physical specimen of the bunch, and I'd place my bet on even the Time Mage to beat one in a straight fist fight. They are very useful, nonetheless, but that usefulness involves a large amount of MP!

BakaMattSu, if you haven't experienced www.nuklearpower.com/comic/ yet, you haven't lived!

4. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Have you seen the summoners in FFX? I think that they have too much power. I blew away the last bosses in two attacks with my Bahamut, or with one blow from Anima.
    I like the Black Mage costumes: the blue robe and orange hat, right out of the first game. Lulu's outfit was cool as well (although I doubt they'd come in my size ... or gender :)). The best part of Lulu as a black mage was her hilarious weapons, like the "Cactuar Spy" or "Wicked Cait Sith", and let's not forget the "Morphing Mog".
    My beef with the White Mages is mostly that whatever they do can be done by somebody else with more efficiency. For example, any character can use a healing item, and the white magic spell Holy is always too expensive to use effectively when you can Flare for less. However, when you consider that in the last two FF games, the summoners have also been white mages, I guess I'll have to reconsider ...
    I never liked the red mages, particularly in the first game. They were too expensive at the start, needing the same expensive weapons and armour as a fighter, plus the added cost of magic.
    The time mages I thought were pretty good in Final Fantasy Tactics, but that's about it.
    As for the blue mages, I just liked Quina. S/he was hilarious. Otherwise, I don't really care for the blue magic scene, although there are some fun ways to learn techniques, such as eating your foes.

5. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

FF8 mages

Is Quistis a blue mage? I means she did use blue magic didn't she?

An' isn't Ultimecia a powerful time mage? I mean time compression was her main objective in the game?

One thing I hate about FF8 that there are no specific job classification. No diffrence between a summoner, time, white, black, snd blue mage.

Hmm maybe they are red mages??? :confused:

6. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

i chosse no one of them

7. Heero Yui

Heero Yui New Member

Argh , poll too confusing
    Stop with the FF polls already
    Its a great game and all but weve nearly voted on everything about it

8. Yuna

Yuna New Member

What did Yuna choose?

Isn't it obvious? hehe:)
    Black and Red mages are cool too. Red mages are however more powerful. They could use black and white magic, but only some can summon. Like in FF8 they all can summon, but in FF5 they can't...

9. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Nearly everything isn't enough!
    Just face facts, Sir Heero. Most of us around here like Squaresoft at least a bit, and therefore should be expected to be fans of the Final Fantasy series. If you have a problem with that, either go to another forum, or don't reply. Simple, ya?

10. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

There is always something to vote on with Final Fantasy.. Because the Fantasy is NEVER final!

KaMeKaZi

See you space Cowboy

11. GenericHero5

GenericHero5 All Ska Super Star

An idiot's humble opinion

Well in my opinion its better to be red than dead!
    Red mages have the best of both worlds, balancing a destructive offensive arsenal with defensive, stat boosting, and healing spells. And, while they may not live up to the full potential in either class, they are still very powerful. Also, they arent as severely restricted with weapons and armor like Black and White Mages are. But dang, if they could only summon...

(Hmmm i think i proved that i have too much time...)

12. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

I chose blue mage. You forgot Quistis DAMMIT!

13. Dante

Dante New Member

Uhm... it might just be me but I don't really think Quistis is a Mage-type, heh...

I COULD be wrong, but... yeah...

Anyways, I'm all for Red Mage (or, as I call him, Grey Mage! :p).

14. soundofsilence

soundofsilence New Member

Definately black mage, if only for the pure destructive power. Also, Lulu and Vivi are two of my favorite FF characters, so I've got to go with black. Why do black mages always have cutesy names? Strange...

15. Rem

Rem New Member

I choose black mages. I am not too fond of Vivi but I love Lulu, I really like her outfit and her personality, cool calm and collected but with a short fuse. Like me ^_^.

Anyway after seeing her outfit, I have since wanted to make her cosplay outfit, now thats a challenge.

And anyway what about the mages from earlier games? I dont thinm I saw terra there, shes kind of a black mage except everyone learns magic sooner or later in that game.

^_^

16. Mystic

Mystic New Member

Blue

Blue is most my type, I think, so blue.