Computers Feeling the burn (a bit too much)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Phalanx, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

Hiyo,
    I was wondering, this webmistress I know is always getting flamer e-mails from people. I get the job of dealing with these ridiculous "things" as I call them. But its getting pretty annoying. First off, they are hurtful (not to me, I get joy out of tearing these tweps a new one, but they do disturb the owner) and they are semi-well though out. Do any other webmasters get this problem? Are there really people out there who just hunt around looking for places to threaten (yes, someone threatened to close the site)? Lastly, can anything be done about it?

2. Slydice

Slydice ave, Lex, morituri te salutamus

It's probably just random spam mail being sent around the internet. This type of mail gets broadcasted to literarily thousands of people everyday.

It's like the junk mail you get in the post.

A web master/mistress will always get more than the norm because they usually get the catch-all e-mails, which means they get even the ones directed at people who don't exist.

My best advice: Just ignore them or at least try to live with them.:(

3. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Another good idea would be to take the main email off the site as a hyperlink, and just spell it out (webmasterATyourdomainDOTcom rather than webmaster@yourdomain.com), that prevents search engines from harvesting your email address. This'll only help if it's actually just spam, and not people genuinely disliking the site, in which case all I can say is that you can't make everyone happy all the time. *shrugs*

- Ark

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

Some of it might be spam. But the rest respond to my e-mail (even when I say that I would delete without reading).

For some reason too, I think its the same idiot who is sending this stuff. Anyway to find out?

5. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

View the message headers, look for an IP or hostname in several of them that look familiar.

- Ark

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Sadly flames are a part of daily life for a webmaster. Not everyone is going to like a site, and some are just assholes about it. Can we see an example of the flames? How long has it been going?

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

Its been going on for a while (a few onths, i'd have to ask the webmistress to be sure). But I've only recently started helping out with them. Heres the lastest one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay, your deals seem hardly worth it. Can you tell me who would
    actually
    buy your stupid homemade comics requests for 15$?!? Never mind, don't
    answer, I know already. Idiots would.
    You know what I mean; people like you.
    (that was pointless)
    Okay, thanks. Bye.

second e-mail

Hi. Your site is cool, but your drawing sucks. I dont see why people
    would
    buy your homemade comics. And, you know, I'm definetely not just some
    jealous person trying to hurt you. People like you never realise this,
    but
    if you listen to your critics, you can become better. Don't worry,
    it's not
    bad anyway. Just make the characters less...chibi'istic(?). It's
    really
    cute. though. And don't give that stupid goody-goody attitude to
    people,
    and don't tell mean people not to e-mail you. They will anyways, and
    they
    don't care if you delete it. Don't let it bug you.
    Thanks!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

That was a minor one. There were a few others that were really disturbing, but I didn't save those. I just have this one because I don't clean out my e-mail all the time.

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Oh, so its a comic/web-comic dealy?

Tons of those, no matter how well done, pull in massive amounts of flames telling them how much they suck.

Also, has she pulled in any money at all? If so, remind her of that fact.

As for those people, sometimes they need to realize that it can take a loooooooooooong time for a characters design to standardize itself.

Look at early Slick from Sinfest.
    A little different. Not much but a bit.

Look at Cherry from RPG World.
    Originally thinner and flat chested. Actually most characters were more thinner, stickish in the early days.

Look at the original Nodwick.
    Much much smaller nose and a bit more detail in his designs. Hell, if you took an early Aaron Williams work from ANY series, it'd take me a couple minutes to realize Williams did it.

Even very simplistic characters, like Carson the Muskrat from Dork Tower, looked different in their earlier days. It wasnt always pronounced but it can be seen.

9. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

I see what you mean, Thanks. Its just I never dealed with this before and wanted to know what other webmasters did.

If anyone has any other tips, tricks or ways of getting rid of these fools, post it up. No worries about how many weeks later it is, i'll still check um out. Toodles

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Hell, take a look at early Simpsons.

And I dont mean first season, I mean Tracy Morgan show. They look like multi-coloured hunks of ****.

Now compare them to the current version.

11. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

just delete and ignore...you really can't make everyone happy...and some ppl send email like that cause they think it's funny. all you can do is put them in a block list as they come in. unless it's creative critisism(which neither of those were) and just tell her ppl are just being stupid. she's not doing it for everyone. she's doing her web idea for herself. and as long as she enjoys it, none of the flames should keep her from doing what she wants.