Movies Fellowship extended DVD

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by YokoburiKinura, Aug 7, 2002.

1. YokoburiKinura

Yesterday my dad got the DVD for Fellowship of the Ring for us, and of course he got the Fullscreen version, which I didn't like, but hey that's beside the point (but while I'm on it, when I was in town later that day I couldn't find a single copy of the Widescreen version)

But the Extras disc was very interesting. One of the features on there was a preview of the 'Extended DVD edition'. This is supposed to have the movie with about thirty minutes of scenes added that weren't in the theatrical release. It's coming out in November.

Apparently, there are to be four discs in that edition. Does anybody know what those discs will be? I know one disc will be the extended movie, another an extras disc made specially for the extended film. Will the other two be the same discs that came out in the regular edition yesterday?

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Isn't that the suck? Buying a movie and seeing a trailer for a better version of that same movie?

It's like they are laughing at you.

To answer your question though, I have no idea, sorry

3. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

<cough>november 12 there will be 2 special editions out...the normal extended 4 disc thing. with bonus footage(a day in the life of a hobbit among them...)

it's the other one that's neat...costs like 69.99 but! you get an extra disc and bookends...what book ends do you ask? but the stone statue pillars they like to show...the 2 guys with outstretched arms...bwahaha i shall own it...hehe

i got the wide screen...we can't sell the damn movie...annoying...prlly cause we got for 22.99 and target( a 1 minute walk away) has it for 16.99......damn them....lowest we can go is our discount, which would make it 20.99 <sigh>

4. YokoburiKinura

Target's got the widescreen for $17, eh? I gotta keep that in mind...

Yeah, it is the suck, but the extended will be the cool. That collectors' box sounds like the rule, too. Maybe I should go check Amazon. They might know.

It wasn't my money, so as far as my collection goes, I'm still clear and waiting for the extended set. However, if you buy both, there's like a $5 mail-in rebate ($10 if you get the cool box), so maybe I could get my mom to give me the receipts and stuff when I get the extended version.

5. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

I too will own the extended DVD, I n33d that extra 30 min of footage. But those DVDs are a lot cheaper than you'd find them in this country.

6. VampirePrincess

VampirePrincess New Member

Thats why I am waiting for the new version... i believe it has extras of like cast interviews, screen shots maybe even fan art... A little on J.R.R. Tolkien... Who knows but I am waiting for it. I love Lord of the Rings.

7. thunder dragon

thunder dragon dragon king

Lord of the Rings is great movie ..i gara have one of the extended DVD set too..i will wait for it to come..

8. c0ke

c0ke New Member

What the point of getting the extended version? It's the same thing as the original, but with 30 more minutes, so what it's like the Aliens special edition, Leon the Professional and Apocalypse Now Redux, I found the extra minutes a waste (Well except Aliens) I mean Lord of the Ring was a great movie, but the footages on the original is good enough, sometimes adding the extra footages can ruin the movie (Apocalyspe Now Redux)

9. MamiyaOtaru

Well, if that extra footage comes from the book the movie was based on, and was only cut out cause the movie got too long (not cause it sucked) then I'm all for it. People were bitter that parts of the book got cut out, so of course they are happy that there is extended footage. Maybe it puts those parts back in.

10. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

I think I should speak up now, but am I the only one who didn't like the movie (besides sexy Legolas) and think it's just completely overrated and way too long for it's own good? :dizzy2:

11. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Lego-boy looked like Zack Morris. No, not Mark Paul Gosselar, Zack Morris. Sorry, I had to put that in. Movie was okay, and my parents just got the normal fullscreen set.

Oh well, as long as they don't make me choosy about my anime DVD's...then whatever movies they get are fine with me.

12. MamiyaOtaru

IMHO, it was long in keeping with the spirit of the books. i don't mean it was long for the sake of being long just because the book was long, I mean it was long so it could fit at least a fraction of the book into it.

Overrated? Maybe. I hate how so many movies have those incredibly ridiculous topographies. I liked Tatooine much better in ep 4, when it was kinda real looking. Those swarms of arches, and gigantic mushroom rocks in eps 1 and 2 look like crap. Same idea with LOTR.. that road they try to take over the pass is ludicrous. The bridge in Moria is a little overdone.. etc.

The acting wasn't tops either I found. Well, maybe they did as well as they could. unfortunately, despite the length, it was still a case of jumping from one scene to the next willy nilly, without enough time spent in each. Now this happens, now this happens etc etc.

The characters seemed a bit too cliche, the grumpy dwarf, the feminine looking elf the dependable little midget people, the bad human, the good human blah blah blah. (of course, a lot of those cliches we see still today prolly came from that book)

To go with them are the cliche ensemble-cast-adventure-story shots, like the one where they all crest the hill one by one and 'strike a pose' for the camera before continuing on as heroic music plays. One by one they filter by, suposedly oblivious to the camera, yet each of them taking that exact moment to look around as the wind ruffles their hair.. pure argh.

Plus, seeing Agent Smith as a good guy was just weird ;)

After considering it, the main fault of the movie seems to be that it was based on a book we all know already: it is predictable, it is cliched (cause the book formed the cliches) it had to include too many scenes or fans would get pissed (as if they weren't already over the exclusion of Tom Bombadil [what a stupid name])

Despite all that, i did like it. It had its shortcomings, but I am glad I saw it. Here's hoping they learn from it while making the next two, (though they may already have)

13. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Lol. whatever people. I thought Peter Jackson and all his workers did an excellent job bringing such a loved story to life. I'm so happy it wasn't made in the 60's-70's and done so poorly that everyone was afraid and decided never to touch it again!!!

ya seeing Hugo Weaving as Elrond was quite cool. When I see him coming up to Frodo in Elrond, saying 'Welcome to Rivendell ~' I immediately add 'Mr Underhill' (some people won't get this but whatever).

as well, I found it quite cool (or sad) that Christopher Lee played the same kind of character for both Episode II and Lord of the Rings. The powerful man who everyone thinks is good and turns out evil and kicks butt.

plus, Brad Dourif, the man who will be playing Wormtongue, the sniveling advisor to Theoden, King of Rohan, also played the role of Piter De Vries in the original Dune, as the sniveling Mentat advisor to the Baron. (who got killed off by the 'tooth') http://www.theonering.net/movie/cast/dourif.html

for some reason, I heard before hand that there would be the extended version coming out in November, so I didn't buy the dvd that just came out. my parents did though. I told my Dad and he got mad at whoever held back the extended special edition. He's not really into DVDS so he doesn't know that theres tons opf special editions of movies that come later. well, I think one of the 4 discs may be about the life of Jrr. Tolkien.. well at least I hope. The scenes that were cut shown in the Two Rowers preview look amazing. Unlike some movies, they were cut becaause of time limitations, not because they didn't flow with the movie a.ka. some Unbreakable scenes, Christians in Arena scenes from Gladiator, stupid Kung Pow cut scenes)

plus. 30-40 more minutes of music is being composed for the extended version. I think thats cool they aren't repeating music.

nature looks at art, art looks at nature. I don't think these cliches came from the book, it would be sad if they did. I believe Tolkien was looking at the world and how people truly are. (of course the dependable midget people? Frodo can make it on his own, but I don't know about Pip!)

where's my place in this world? whats my mission?
    is there hobbit in me? (have to shave my feet)

but anyways, whatever.

14. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

<sigh....why do i post sometimes? ...>

all i can say is i'm in the expensive one for the bookends...worth it to me...i got a lot of books...

15. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

thanks B-berry luv, for telling me about the bookends ;)

16. MamiyaOtaru

LOL! I did the same thing, except I added "Mr. Baggins" when I saw it :D

Don't get me wrong, I love the movie. It's just hard to transfer a classic book to the screen.

17. YokoburiKinura

OK, finally looked up the features on Amazon, and here's the disc breakdown:

The movie is spread across two discs. This is probably because: 1) It's now so dang big and 2) there are four audio commentary tracks from different sectors - director and writers, design team, production team, and cast.

The second two discs are the 'appendices' - all the 'making of' and features stuff.