Computers FF XI keyboard problems!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MrPig, Mar 1, 2004.

1. MrPig

MrPig New Member

Laptop keypad problems

Sorry about this (god seems determined to stop me from playing this game and instead find a job! XD), but mines installed on my laptop - which is lacking a numeric keypad.

I sware ive read the manual front to back, and pressed every button i can - but because i dont have "-" on the numeric keypad so i cant open the main menu!

any help? :shy:

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Most laptops nowadays embed the numeric pad onto the keyboard. Check the letters on the right hand side for small print numbers in blue or similar. You can hold down your function key (Fn) and press the appropriate key for the numpad input.

The menu key (-), walk toggle (/), and rest (*) button should all be there, too.

Or optionally, get a game pad to play.

Does that help you out?

3. MrPig

MrPig New Member

*checks*

*re-checks*

0_0
    WOW! the buttons have little purple tiny sub-functions! [/extatic homer voice] ^__^
    Thanks BM! sure that'll help! *hugs*

4. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Belongs more to Otaku forum don't you think? Will move shortly...

^Shen^

5. MrPig

MrPig New Member

Dunno, firgure it could be a more FF-specific problem really.

And only for people as computer-illiterate as me :shy:

6. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Of course, that little Fn button does come in handy if your laptop doesn't have external controls....

I vote Otakutech.

Oh, and an easy way to just keep it enabled is to just leave your NumLock key on. Then all you have to do is press Fn.

7. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Yes, this can stay here ^^. You might want to get a real external keyboard to play ffxi, or a USB controller, either of which would be way better than a laptop keyboard (except maybe on a 17" laptop w/ full size keyboard).

- Ark

8. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

there's also an in-game option for the compact keyboard you may wanna try too. i also think you can customize the keys for that too. never played with it though.

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Which ironically enough can't be accessed without pulling up the menu with the (-) numpad key. ^^;

10. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

there's actually a ctrl - key combo that does it too. lemme see if i can get it again...

edit:
    hit ctrl - (the minus key located on the top of the keyboard after 0) i know that minus is there on a laptop, i own one. also. if you have a mouse pad built into the keyboard area, get it to scroll click. if you have a usb mouse you can use, even better. just click on the scroll, don't roll it. click. just got out of the game after checking both of those methods, neither of which are mentioned, that i can find, in the manual.