RPG Archives Final Fantasy IX

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GentatsuNoZanshi cc61, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Well, this here will be the official out-of-game thread for our Final Fantasy IX RPG we've got going on here. Let's just keep it clean here, folks.
    I plan on secretly keeping track of something similar to HP and MP, so don't think you're invincible. Also, I'll be keeping track of my own form of EXP as well. That's just a little heads-up for y'all on how I'm going to run this show.

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for the length of that introduction in the in-game thread (titled "Final Fantasy IX: Disc One" if you couldn't find it), but those of you who know me can testify that I love to build things up to be really big. I guess that's just showing my roots as a DBZ GM ... anyway, let's get our grooves on!

------------------
    SOMEBODY'S GOTTA FEEL THIS!

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Question: What do we have in terms of equipment? i.e. does Steiner have Excalibur?

3. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Isn't Steiner's last weapon the Ragnarok? Any how, yeah, would Steiner have that? And Garnet would be what level? She was level 98 when I beat everything. (Well, that's because I wanted everybody at their max...)

------------------
    Mwuahahahaha! THe 3vil Hampster/Fruitfly Conglomerate is upon us! Can you hide from them?

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Excalibur and Excalibur II are sidequests, but I am almost certain the "Ultimate" Steiner weapon (tho' expensive...)

I didn't even bother to suggest Excalibur II, since I'm pretty sure we couldn't get to Terra in 12 hours of posting....!

5. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

And what magic does Vivi have?

Can I use Ice 2 or water or Flare or Jihard!?

6. TamaKameKami

TamaKameKami Lord Tama

oh what weapon am i usin to

------------------
    IwAnBo the grinning idiot!

7. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

What summons and white magic does eiko have?
    Weapons?
    Should we all use the first weapons? trance?

8. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

That's new, thnx Bakamatt. I thought I got all the sidequests after I beat Ozma. And how about that kicka$$ weaponsmith in memoria?

------------------
    Mwuahahahaha! THe 3vil Hampster/Fruitfly Conglomerate is upon us! Can you hide from them?

9. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I'll give y'alls all the summons you want, except for the huge ones like Alexander and Ark, but I'm putting severe limits on their use. I just don't want y'all blasting the hell out of everything. Just don't be surprised if when you try to use that tenth summon in a single in-game day it doesn't work because you're out of MP.
    I would, however, prefer that any Black or White magic be restricted to Level 1 (eg. Ice, Fire, Cure, etc.) or to any spell that only has one level (eg. Poison, Flare, Esuna, etc.). Once again, remember that the use of magic will be limited to prevent non-magic characters from being dominated by the mages.
    As for equipment, assume you're wearing pretty damn good armour, and are outfitted with good weapons as well. Nothing too big, but nothing small either. Let's look at it this way: You have somewhat-chanted equipment, but not that brutally-lethal stuff. You probably won't even have to worry about that damage and the like, as I'll just run that behind-the-scenes.
    Next on the agenda is the level issue. Think of it like this: Experience and Level are pretty much there for the players to judge the status of the characters. As the characters themselves, you wouldn't really know about this sort of thing, but for your personal information, assume that you're somewhere in-between Level 65 and 70. Also assume that Kuja is a lot more powerful in this game than in the PSX version (that's why you haven't killed him yet [​IMG]).

Now, I'll let you know about the formula I have come up with for battles. It's designed to simulate the ATB idea, but I don't know how well it'll work. Here's how it goes ...

1. The GM (that being me) states that a battle has begun, and names the monsters and heroes involved.
    2. The PC's (that's you) state what you want to do in this round.
    3. The GM resolves any actions by the PC's, NPC's and monsters simultaneously, using their best judgement. Remember that my goal as GM isn't to "win" the battle, but rather is to further the story, and therefore advance the enjoyment of all the players.
    4. Repeat Steps 1 to 4 until the confrontation is over, at which point the GM will announce the victor, assign any gained Gil or other treasure, and occasionally give other rewards to the "MVP" of the battle.

I hope this works ... we'll just have to see, no?

------------------
    Hold my breath as I wish for death ... PLEASE GOD HELP ME!

10. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Yowzah! GM-ing nine separate characters is hard work when you send them all separate ways!
    Anyway, we've got the first battle underway. Let's see how it works ...

------------------
    Hold my breath as I wish for death ... PLEASE GOD HELP ME!

11. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Still waiting for Zidane (TamaKameKami)'s action ...
    Hurry it up so we can move along, okay?

Dammit! I'm cracking up! I got BakaMattSu and TamaKameKami confused for a second!

------------------
    Loneliness is a slow-acting but lethal poison.
    It's time to find the cure.

[This message has been edited by GentatsuNoZanshi cc61 (edited 12-16-2001).]

12. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I just thought of a kind of important question for Tama. Which kind of weapon is Zidane using? Is it single- or double- bladed?

------------------
    Loneliness is a slow-acting but lethal poison.
    It's time to find the cure.

13. TamaKameKami

TamaKameKami Lord Tama

double bladed

------------------
    SPECIAL "Beef with bell peppers"

14. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Thanks. I can advance the game a bit now ...

------------------
    You wanna see the apocalypse?
    THEN LOOK INTO MY EYES!

15. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

This one goes out to Meakoh_Takashi ...

Hmm ... seems to me that I'm still the GM of this game, and you seem to be trying to muscle in on my turf. This cannot be allowed. Please refer to the outline of how combat in this game will work. If you do not cooperate, I may have to remove you, if only temporarily. So, please quit trying to tell me how to do my job. I don't tell you how to do yours. Just back off, yo!
    As for your little manoeuver with the Tent, please remember that this is not the original game, so stupid ideas like being able to rest during battle will simply not work. I will at this point note a little "house rule", if you will, on how things must work in this game ...
    You can only do things that are logically possible.
    That means no using tents on yourself in battle, no using tents on someone else in battle (how do you plan to force a huge plant-monster into a tiny tent?), and nothing else of the sort.
    I am sorry if this causes a damper on your fun, but I'm trying to preserve the essence of the game here, and to keep a little logic and realism here.

16. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

[​IMG] Where is the GM of the game? Was the game stopped? :(
    I was wonderring if we could use these nifty gifs during our post. I found them at mysmilies.com

17. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I Was Gone

I stepped out for a while, to answer the question. But, I'm back, and I'll pick the game up a bit next week. If you need a reason for my further delay, my school is writing exams right now, and I need to take the time to study up on my math (accursed logarithms!). So, anyway, next week, or maybe the end of this one. We'll be back in action, I assure you.
    As for those fun little animated gifs, I say "Let's go wild" on those ones. Cry "picture" and let loose the dogs of war!

18. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Back in Action!

Well, I've started the game up again. I hope y'all're still interested in playing!

I would like to take this opportunity to remind the Princess that she still has Shiva summoned. As a not on summoning, consider the Eidolon to be still summoned until they are either defeated or dismissed, such as in FFVIII, FFX, or Summoner. So, the point I'm trying to make here is that with Shiva summoned, you really don't need any cheap tent-tricks to win, ya?

"Time is running out ... Let's roll!"
    -Neil Young, Let's Roll-

19. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Busy day for the GM

Well, if you've checked out the thread, you've seen that I posted quite a bit for Garnet and Freya's group, and that I've moved on Zidane and Vivi. Those characters will get more action as soon as I resolve the impending conflict involving Steiner and Eiko. Blank, we'll get back to you shortly.

20. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

A note to Meaikoh_Takashi:
    QUIT TRYING TO RUN MY GAME!!!!
    Last time I checked, the GM of this game was GNZ, not MT. And actually, Quan's alright. He's a pretty tough old Qu, and isn't exactly likely to get beaten down so easily.
    So quit trying to run the game. I have a plan for a storyline, and if you can't accept that, take your gaming elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.