Square Enix Final Fantasy XI

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by User18, Mar 29, 2005.

1. nomad-alpha

nomad-alpha New Member

yeah its a great idea fighting evil beast folk with your friends...

theres a bunch to do and a bunch to kill...

i had it for about a year and i enjoy every minute of it....

im hopin that they could make a "mod" of it like a modern version either in the eyes of XII or X... im leanin toward XII

2. Alucard21

Alucard21 New Member

As much as i think that FFXI was a rather large leap 4ward for Square-enix i dont think it should have been released as the next follow on game in the series.i think they would have done Much better Just naming it Final Fantasy Online/World or something with even more of a catch to it especiallly since they are going back to the story telling side of the game in FFXII and comming away from online gaming again.
    I think it definately deserves the Final Fantasy Title but shudnt have been made XI i think XII should have been XI and we shud still be waiting on XII and the thousands of possibilities of what the story and next character are gonna be.

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

The only time Final Fantasy ever diverged in name was the renaming of certain games to fit the "Final Fantasy" series. Games like Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest and Final Fantasy Adventure.

Oh, and the Tactics series. Which...I really can't explain. =P

I, personally, think it deserves the Final Fantasy name, if only because of its scope. Every Final Fantasy has been a major project for Square, and Final Fantasy XI is/was no exception.

True, it's not a Final Fantasy game that everyone is accustomed to. Then again, which Final Fantasy, since VIII was everyone accustomed to? In each Final Fantasy, they innovate the genre in different ways.

FFI had an open-ended party system. Adogynous, because you can't really tell which sex they are.
    FFII had characters, and that odd stat-building...
    FFVII had magic *only* equippable by the weapons are armor you chose.
    FFVIII had the draw system, and a backstory that relied upon building information based on what has been noted. (A cop out, saying that they couldn't fit everything in the 4 discs they provide)
    FFX had the whole Free-form Party, where you can take advantage of each character's strengths in the middle of battle. Plus, voice acting.
    FFXI, while not innovative, was a great departure from any other Final Fantasy. It introduces a party dependent on *who* you play with. Your party isn't made up of static characters that you control anymore, it becomes a community thing.
    FF12/XII is already a massive departure from anything we've really seen out of the series. It is the first time we're revisiting a world that's been already concluded.

All in all, I'd just like to say, yes. It is worthy of the name. =]