Video Games Fire Emblem

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GenericHero5, Jan 12, 2004.

1. GenericHero5

GenericHero5 All Ska Super Star

This game is hardcore tactics to the max. Strategy, turn based, Level Ups, all the bases are here...but there are deeper things, once you get into it...You can upgrade your units from cavaleirs to paladins, mages to sages, etc. But once you lose a guy (or girl) they are down for the count. No magic Pheonix Downs to save yer *** here. Once dead, always dead, unless you restart the chapter. That's a pain in the ***, because its easy to get cocky after whipping a 2-hour long, enemy filled map into victory only to have your best unit demolished by the chapter boss, making you start ALLL over again.

Anyway, its for the gba, so its cheapish, and its def worth it if you like FFTactics or Ogre Battle or stuff like that. Buy lots of batteries, too. :p

2. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Don't forget to mention that it's by the company Intelligent Systems, the same company that made my favorite game series of all time, Advance Wars! If anyone has played Shining Force for Sega Genesis, Fire Emblem is very similar. But coming from Intelligent Systems, Fire Emblem has a lil bit of the feel of Advance Wars cuz of the rescue feature where one character can carry another character (thus protecting it from harm, and good for moving slower units).

I got the game for Christmas (an early Christmas present from my brother), and after a few days of playing it, I gave a copy of it to my friend/roommate as a present! (He told me "it's addicting!"). And yeah, the game is pretty addicting. Even though you might get pissed when a character dies, and even though you restart a whole battle, it's okay! Because it's fun! Since there's no single-battle-mode like in Advance Wars, I'm fine with replaying a chapter over and over until I get it perfect.

In fact, with the three file slots, I started another quest already, and everything is still fun! I think the best thing about it is that certain weapons are better against each other (in a rock-paper-scissors way), in addition to certain kinds of characters being better than others. And after a while, you discover other triangles, like pegasus knights are strong against magic users, magic users are strong against archers up close, and archers are strong against pegasus knights. (Which can be reversed: pegasus knights are strong against archers up close, archers beat magic users when there's a "living seal" blocking all magic, and magic users beat pegasus knights from a distance.) It's so complex, I like it!