Video Games Flashy scenes and fireworks - Or - Why Jazzing has degraded many games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BakaMattSu, Dec 12, 2003.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Thought of this while discussing the length of games in another thread.

But, I find a surprising number of new games today that just don't rub me the right way. When I was younger, I was always ecstatic about the "newest" console out there. Ooh, I want a Nintendo! Ooh, I want a Gameboy! Ooh Genesis! Ahh, SNES! And so on...

Almost everything had charm on the early systems, and many classics hold true even today. However, as time passes, fewer and fewer newer gamers will even touch said classics on the basis that it is old, looks old, and doesn't fry as many brain cells per hour.

Almost everything today begins with flashy or nice graphics. Companies push the envelope with stunningly beautiful rendered scenes and polys. Musical scores come fully orchestrated. We get full voice in many games now.

All the whizzbangs. But when does it go so far that the whizzbangs get all the attention, and we lose out on story, quality, and individuality? Well, here's my line of thinking of when that bridge has been crossed:

1) Artificial Lengthening. Involves whipping up a lengthy cutscene or reusing a long flashy effect. Final Fantasy's trudged down this route since FF8. Summon a creature and it tacks 2-3 more minutes onto your game. Multiply that by how frequently you battle and how often you use the thing and suddenly your game time is really high up there. Is the game any longer for it? Artificially. You're not getting any more story or development. You're not even getting to see something new.

2) Cheating a Full Release aka "Expansion". Involves adding and expanding more elements to an existing game. Usually these come with enough new doodads to really appeal to the die-hard gamer. But they're so commonly used today that one can't help but wonder if they're planned and developed alongside the original game as a marketing ploy to have you buy the game 1 1/2 times - Once for the game, and then at a lower price to fully complete it.

3) Money Shots. Involves setting up some amazing pre-rendered cutscene movies. These can very mood-setting and visually appealing, but can almost like a ruse to make the game seem grander than it is. The worst money shots are any that drag on long to the point where they're almost falling into artificial lengthening above.

4) Copycatting. Involves cloning an existing game because it's successful. These lack originality and seem to be around every nook and cranny. Heck, how many FPS out right now are running a Quake engine?

More as they refresh in my mind...

2. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

I agree with Matt.

What I would REALLY like in an RPG is something that doesn't add too much bandwidth/graphics/etc "artificially". Instead it adds to the code:

1) MORE, MORE LEVELS!

2) Subplots. LOTS of subplots! I really liked a game like "Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals" except for the linearity. You met lots of characters, etc.

3) AI / social stuff. What if characters in your party have AI? I.e. they could even argue, or who knows? Someone could split... and it would be a subplot to get the character back, etc...

4) More story and background for characters.

*sigh* ahh.... dream game :)

I really liked FF6 because every character had its own background, etc. I just kept going and going because I wanted Celes to match up with Locke. :anime:

Anyway, just think about it. If we could add elements like used in "The Sims" to a good RPG, what would we get?

DVD's can have up to 4.5GB of DATA. Imagine that!!! For an A.I. application it's HEAVEN. (heh and it would warantee that unless you have a VERY GOOD copying software, it couldn't be ripped).

Just imagine... characters falling in love with each other, fighting against each other... wow man... i mean...

wow! :p

Just think about it.

About 200 characters in your story, and their 4 or 5 surrounding characters.

If each character gets 1MB of AI data / background, we would get 1GB of AI.

OK, let's reduce the number of characters and things could really go smooth.

*sigh* (daydreams) ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

But no, today is just bells and whistles. What about gameplay?

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Or maybe just more intricate ones. I've seen this as a negative in a few titles. The game was drawn out and long - lots of levels, but very empty.

Subplots are good, if they don't make me feel overwhelmed all at once. The major reason I lost interest in Summoner early on was the fact that I kept picking up subplots, but not finding any leads on the previous ones. I was left with an overly large number of quests that frustrated me to look through before attempting even one.

A good side-story helps now and then. But in all honesty, a little linear helps keep me from feeling lost and "where do I go from here"?

Again, AI can be a double-edged sword. If it were "ideal" AI, it would obviously be a benefit. And character interaction can be fun, too. Look at some of the NPC interaction in Baldur's Gate II - there is banter back and forth as well as some development throughout party chat.

But a poor AI, as in one that is poor tactically in battle, or predictable in conversation, would really be horrible to put up with.

Always a good thing. I love character development. In newer games' defense, we do get more story and character than we did in the early 80's, but it's still lacking in many games of today to the degree some good old-school RPGs manage.

A free-roaming RPG where you could do almost anything, yet be on the move to an earth-shattering story. Can you say "total escape from reality"?

Hopefully making its return when your "perfect game" is realized. :p

4. Bau

Bau New Member

Thats why I am going for the GBA on all my games those games have Excelent game play.
    for example and i dont care if you all hate the game
    Golden sun: the lost age

that game was the BEST game that i had ever played it had great characters (8 and they all were solid)
    the game play was GREAT (40 hours)

i beleive 10 side quests (thats all you really need)

as for the summons well if you didn't want to watch the who thing then all you had to do was press the "A" button and it skips it, and still does all the dmg.

the graphics (if thats what you are looking for) are PERFECT the world map and fields, battle. it was almost PS1 grapghics.
    yeah of cource there was a lot of talking but come one its an RPG.

long in short i think that its all Flash and effects now than anything.

anyway i argee with bakamattsu with that summoner thing that game was horrable. to much stuff, its muddling...

games were much better then they are now. in fact i am playing mario RPG now thats a fun game.

and luvweaver i also agree lufia 2 was GREAT!!! but it needed more to it.
    lufia 3 for GBC was even better (ecpet for those random doungons)

thats all i have to say right now.