FLCL FLCL Vol. 03

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Izzy, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Well, this came out a couple of weeks back, already. In a *very* smart move by Synch-Pointe/Production I.G. (...yeah, rare as it is) you can buy the 3rd volume with the box sleeve...so if you've got the other 2 DVDs...then you've got yourself a nice little 3 volume box.

Primarily, the DVD looks better than the other two in that it has Naota's final pose with Haruko's Rickenbacker as teh cover. Nice.

And...for all you pillows fans...the outstanding extra in this DVD is that it comes with the "Ride on Shooting Star" video by the band. Like, a real music video...not an AMV. ^_^

The only reason for NOT buying FLCL, seriously, is that it comes in 3 DVDs...I mean, they could easily fit all 6 episodes on 1 without the extras (boo!) or two (and just get rid of the Trailers and the outtakes (which are almost unecessary, I will explain later). But, it's definitely worth it. Get it...and mayhap a resurrection of the FLCL board will occur...since, y'know...it'll get popular again! BOHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

Oh, and as for the trailers...it seems I.G. is also producing the DiGi Charat Movie!!! NYAR!!!! Good movie. Best 30 minute movie of my life! Heehee! Oh, and it seems they're also doing a run of Pyoko's singular adventures...and STILL doing "I'm Gonna Be an Angel"...them being idiots for still bringing "Angel" cross-side. Patty *SHOULD* know what I'm talking about...:(

Edit: By the by, if anyone catches the "Castle of Cogliostro" reference in episode 5 (even though it's obvious as all get out) I'll give you a 'net cookie.

*shows off his 'net cookies as pigeons fly about meaninglessly*

2. Paper

Paper New Member

Yay a picture!

I had to see the cover of it and when I found it I thought I'd share. Very cool scene... but personally I was expecting the picture Mamimi took. Ah well, still a cool scene.

I don't like the idea of it being in three dvds either... Pretty inconvenient if you ask me..

Anyway, as for the FLCL board growing, I think it will either way because starting... tomorrow I think, adult swim's dub version's gonna start. But no matter how good people say the dub is, still doesn't beat the sub does it? ;)

3. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

god knows i've seen castle enough times. it's a sure bet i wouldn't miss it... but it'll be a while before i can get disc 3. i haven't even got 2 yet....:rolleyes:

4. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

***********SPOILERS (pretty minor, though, and only involving the Lupin pun)************

The Castle reference comes from the part where Kamon asks Naota if he likes "the Castle of Cagliostro coat" better than what he's wearing. Kamon wears a red coat that resembles a Lupin coat, and the reference refers to how Lupin's coat changes color depending on what company produces animation involving him.

I must say that volume 3 was excellent, though I thought the ending was a bit...abrupt. Still, it was great, as expected. I wish there were more episodes now. :)

If only more companies would release boxes with the LAST volume of a series, not the first. It's refreshing. Too many times I have bought a first volume with box and not cared for the series enough to buy the other volumes. Anyone else agree?

5. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Femme, you get a net cookie. ^_^ There's many debates 'bout the Gogliostro coat...but, whatever. That's done with.

Peronally, either way, first or last, is fine with me. It'd be MUCH better if they sold the box sleeve completely separate sometimes too. ^_^

Oh, yeah, the ending...it's not TOO abrupt, if you go by the story line. Especially because of the type of anime it is, it's not abrupt at all...or you can just call it ALL abrupt. ^_^

Watch that damned pillows video!!! NOW!!!!

6. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Wh00t, volume 3's cover happens to be my desktop.
    *****SPOILERS******
    I have to say I think FLCL's ending was ****ing brilliant, the climactic fight between Haruka and Über Naota was just plain brilliant, especaily when he says... that line and then does that thing. I was like, wow holy ****. It was ****ing cool. Best anime ever I say.
    *****END*****
    If the FLCL board get's reinstated, I SHALL be the moderator for it, even if I have to kill everyone else on the entire forum.

7. YokoburiKinura

I haven't seen Ep. 5 in a while, so I only vaguely remember the coat references. But the 'boxing glove on spring' suddenly made so much more sense the first time I saw Lupin.

8. Outlaw Shishio

Outlaw Shishio New Member

FLCL i think is the best anime, next to Hikaru No Go. Ever heard of it!?

9. Kaneda_345

Kaneda_345 The Star Stealing Boy

Ah yes, one of my favorite scenes. The Lupin scene...

(Screenage attached)

Attached Files:

10. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Heard of and read up to some odd chapter in the 150's of the manga. Yeah, it's good. But, it's not the same as FLCL. I mean, they're entirely two different styles. Same genre, different style.

11. Outlaw Shishio

Yeah I know. But Hikaru No Go's better than FLCL thats what I think even though Hikaru No Go's only about Go and other stuff, and FLCL is about like, things popping out of Naota's head.

12. Kaneda_345

Kaneda_345 The Star Stealing Boy

But FLCL's like completely different and it's only 6 episodes... and HnG has like 50+ episodes. It's like comparing apples and oranges...

13. Outlaw Shishio

Yeah I know!! But its OAV series. But Hikaru No Go's good. I'm just saying.

14. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

The series would have been much less amusing had there not been things popping out of Naota's head at random moments. :p

Hikaru no Go and FLCL are two things I thought would never be in the same sentence at one time, either. Heh. HnG looked good to me, but I haven't seen it, and am leery of importing veeeery long series since the cost is astronomical after a while. Looks neat, though right now I am finding it hard to top FLCL in the sheer "awesomeness" department, especially in volume 3.

ATTN creator of Hikaru no Go: you're one imaginative person if you can base 50+ episodes of anything on a game of Go and make it GOOD. :D Think of what FLCL could have done with that many episodes. Oh my. Sheer insanity.

15. Outlaw Shishio

Hehe. Well i like them both their my favorite anime, even though theres only a little episodes on FLCL. But, thats enough about HnG! lets get back to only FLCL!