Movies foreign movies

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by poseidan, Nov 27, 2004.

1. poseidan

poseidan New Member

know of any? good ones , im just interested , and i want to increase post count i guess. ill name some i know
    Casshern(japenese)
    My Boss,My Hero(korean)
    Taxi(european?)
    Trick(japenese)
    please reply i don't wanna be the person that makes threads where no one replies.

1 person likes this.
  2. grunge_otaku

grunge_otaku New Member

Taxi is French. I've seen both Taxi 1 and Taxi 2, and they're both pretty good.

I recently rented "Good bye Lenin" (German), but unfortunately I didn't see it. It's supposed to be a great movie, and from what I've heard, it's worth checking out.

I've seen quite a few French movies. "L'Auberge Espagnole", recently released in the US, is baically a EU movie, with a cast from Spain, England, France, Italy, Germany, Denmark, etc... It's a VERY, VERY good movie. I recommend it to EVERYONE, especially those of us (like me) who are seniors in high school and about to go off to college. It'll give you a whole new perspective. It'll also educate you about how people (especially students) live in Europe. In fact, they don't live much differently.

Other noteworthy French movies: "Le Diner Des Cons" - One of the funniest things I've ever seen. "8 Femmes", pretty good, but not the best. "Les Triplettes De Belleville", which I'm sure many people saw....

I've seen a decent amount of Egyptian and other Arab movies, as well.

I actually haven't seen any good Japanese live-action movies, but I'm pretty sure I'll rent Princess Blade soon enough. It looks like an interesting movie.

1 person likes this.
  3. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

I've seen couple of korean movies, "Please Teach me English" and "The Gas Station".

I am not so sure about the names, correct me if I am wrong ^^;

4. poseidan

poseidan New Member

yay replies anyyway its attack that gas station.

5. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

I watch mainly Asian movies, considering my heritige is Chinese. Anyhow, Korean, Chinese and Japanese are the ones I watch, but I'd suggest French movies, mainly by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the mastermind behind movies such as Amelie from Montmatre, La Cité des enfants perdus (City of Lost Children) and Delicatessen. You should watch his movies if you want a taste of french ones.

I suggest also Swedish ones, considering that I am raised in Sweden. Some good movies are Lilja 4-ever, made by Lukas Moodyson. Really gripping tale about a young girl from Russia who gets caught in a human trafficing situation, and gives us Swedes a darkside of the country. Also, the movies based on the book, "EVIL". Telling us about how a young boy, who enters a private school due to his violent behavior, starts to question the students authority to other students.

- Teddz

6. KoeiX2

KoeiX2 New Member

The Returner(japanese)
    Versus (japanese)
    Gen X Cops (chinese)
    Time and Tide (chinese)
    Shaolin Soccer (chinese)
    and uh... *thinks*
    Tokyo Raiders (chinese...and..japanese?)

1 person likes this.
  7. Zanza

Staff Member

I've just seen two korean movies. I disliked "Oh happy day", but I really enjoyed "My tutor friend" ^^
    They story of "Oh happy day" wasn't that strong, it didn't make much sense of the first half, or else I was really lost; and no, I won't see it again :p

8. Zanza

Staff Member

I just saw "The Twin effect" DVD which happens to be chinese. Very cool movie, its about vampiers and stuff, but its not scary at all, it's so funny!! And Jackie Chan is there for a small role!! ^^
    If you can watch it don't miss it!! ^^

9. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

i've seen the very good french movie which is called "a girl on the bridge". And i really like HK movies: "my left eye sees ghosts", "cat and mouse", "irrisistible piggies". I've also seen some good japanese and korean movies but i forgot their names :confused: There are Russian movies that i like: "Russian Ark", "Siberian Barber" and "Burnt by The Sun".

10. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

Shower - Japanese

Heartwarming tale (which I usually avoid but this one is good) of a family owned bath house and their struggle to keep it afloat.

The Eye - Chinese

Freaking awsome horror film, scared the crap out of me and I dont scare easily. Its the story of a blind girl who gets eye transplants and starts seeing...things.

Crimson Rivers - French

Jean Reno awsome action flick/mystery about murder in the mountains.

11. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Life is Beautiful? (Italian) I dunno, I thought it was just too weird for my taste. Interesting, though. (About a guy who pretends a Nazi concentration camp is a game, so his son doesn't get scared, or something) :p

12. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

thats one of my favorite films and one of the best films i've ever saw!
    i mainly see american and english films here in portugal, but i've also seen sholin soccer (i know it's not well writen), and some other japanese and chinese films, i've also seen some brazilian films like "cidade de deus" (god's city).

13. Seishin

Seishin Guest

The only really good one I know of is Nine Queens(Argentina).

It's a really good movie about these people that rely on ways of tricking people out of their money without knowing it, but also without just plain out robbing them...err...it's complicated, but i recomend it, they lisenced it in the US, and so i saw it at a few BluckBusters, so if you want an hour and a half worth it, make sure to rent Nine Queens.

-SakataKentaro

PS:I made this quick because i'm writting at the school library, and--eh-- you should know the rest....

14. PinkSpider

PinkSpider New Member

I like...

The Japanese film... "Dark Water". ^__^

And.. the Japanese film, 'Seth et Holth', but that's not a very mainstream film at all. Even though it did top the Japanese charts when it was first released. EYE-BALL LICKING!! BLOOOOOD!!

*makes more Seth et Holth screencaps*

15. Fang

Fang New Member

Has any one seen that movie with the blind chinese guy I think the name of the movie was Fight,Zaratu,Fight.

16. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

The only foreign film I can think of that I enjoyed was Les Triplets de Belleville. It's French. (Possibly Canadian French?) But yeah, Finding Nemo beat it at the Oscars... I was so pissed. I love this movie, it's so different than your average animated flick- it's beautiful and ugly at the same time, the art style is amusing, and the whole movie is just... well thought out and highly enjoyable. They don't even use much dialogue, it's that perfect. I can't believe that fish movie beat it. Can't believe it.

17. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Depends on what is foreign. Anyways, the German film, Run Lola Run the French film Amélie and the Japanese Live movie Cutey Honey.

18. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

Id definatly have to agree with your choices there. Run Lola Run gets better each time I watch it and I am a huge fan of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's work like Amelie. If you liked Amelie and are into off the beaten path films you should check out The City of Lost Children. The acting is excellent and the whole thing is this twisted fairy tale about mad scientists and children gangs. High quality indeed. Also has themes simliar to Leon: The Professional with a very young girl and an older immature man forming a bond of sorts (not sexual dont worry, this isnt Lolita...though that was a good movie...heh). Anyways check it out, I highly recomend it.