Tenchi Muyo Fox Kids Showings

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Cloud, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Tenchi is starting on Fox Kids (Fox Anime more like it) soon right?

John.
    --

[This message has been edited by Cloud (edited February 06, 2001).]

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Cool.. maybe, if they don't butcher it (how couldn't they). Any info on when exactly? I guess I could go look myself..

3. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

Fox Kids is really annoying sometimes... what with what they did to Escaflowne. Although they are worthy of praise, introducing thousands of kids to anime. (maybe later they'll grow up and start watching the unedited subs someday!)

Anyhow, the Tenchi release on Fox should be interesting to see, Cartoon Network has been running Tenchi Universe for quite a while, and now Tenchi in Tokyo (a bizarre series, even for Tenchi) and the dubs are stomachable, even though they still have traces of the "oh Belldandy, oh Keiichi" sound to most of the girls...
    oh well, whatcha gunna do?
    -JavaLamp

------------------
    Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love!
    -Albert Einstein

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Heck, if they just bring over the edited dubs cartoon network used, they'll do just fine...
    And those particular dubs could use an intro song too (Toonami cut it out for some reasoning?)

5. UrashimaKeitaro

well, cutting out the opening theme might have been a necessary evil to have more of the actual series on air, that's my take on it. But anyways, I agree, if they use the CN dubs, it'll be fine, the only problem... CN can possibly get away with more than Fox Kids (difference in target audience, venue, etc.) we'll see how/what they do.
    I'm glad they're showing it, tenchi universe, though not as cool as the OAV's, is a funny little series.
    What will be interesting to watch is what Fox Kids does to Slayers, what with the PMS and breast size jokes running amok through that show! (several episodes are underlayed by the PMS joke [​IMG])
    -JavaLamp

------------------
    Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love!
    -Albert Einstein

6. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

PMS jokes.. I'll bet those stay in, euphamized of course. If kids are mature enough to understand 'that time of the month', they're mature enough. uhmm.. that was drawn out with my mental compass for circular logic [​IMG]

7. YokoburiKinura

Why would Fox go after Tenchi? Cartoon Network has had the contract on it for quite a while now, and they've already done their editing, mostly covering up Ryoko's rampant nudity, etc.

8. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

9. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Guest

heeheheh... Cartoon Network has been showing it for a long time...

I think they already ran through both Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo two or three times in entirety.

I'm sorry, but I still don't like any dubbing of anime, especially the particular series that hvae been shown through syndication or on network channels. Usually syndicated ones aren't too bad... but ones that get translated cause a network pays for 'em usually suck or are just barely tolerable. IMO the latest batch of Sailor Moon on CN could have been done MUCH better (I better stop here or I'll rant for ages on that one)... and Escaflowne was just . . . (no comment). Although there are a few exceptions (such as Tenchi), it's generally the rule.

Also, anime does lose alot when censored/edited... good examples of this are Escaflowne and Gundam Wing.

---------------
    Ragnarok

[This message has been edited by Ragnarok (edited March 10, 2001).]

10. UrashimaKeitaro

Yes yes, CN has been running Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo, the news is that they will be showing the Tenchi Muyo OAV's.
    As to the rest, my sentiments exactly('sept the SM thing, I don't watch, therefore, I don't have an opinion on it), but my feeling on Escaflowne goes beyond simple cuts and edits, they cut an entire friggin' episode!
    The Tenchi Muyo OAV's will require a lot of editing for CN though... Yokuburi's comment covers that. Makes me wonder how an all-subbed/uncut/all-anime channel would do (even if it had to be broadcast via the internet 'cause the FCC wouldn't let it on TV).
    Hopefully this makes some sense, and if it does, hopefully I didn't communicate something I didn't intend to.
    -JavaLamp

------------------
    We are Bustas!

11. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I'm missing out on something here, aren't I?
    My friend recorded the Tenchi OVAs from his CN sometime last summer (as well as Tenchi in Tokyo, and currently-Universe)! What strange planet am I from??

Ryoko's rampant nudity has been dealt with by having a bathing suit painted over her, and more mature scenes (such as Washu's "sperm" sample) have been completely cut...

All in all, they've been well done, I suppose.

12. UrashimaKeitaro

My mistake then...
    I don't have CN to watch, so I don't stay up on what they do a lot of the time.

-JavaLamp
    ---------------
    umm.. I was going to sign something here, right?

13. YokoburiKinura

Pioneer has now started releasing the edited versions on VHS.
    As for cutting out whole episodes, I've heard some real horror stories about the way it was 20 years ago (Robotech, BOTP). I'd have to say that today, Cartoon Network is about the best thing to come along (except I hear the Encore Action channel plays a lot of ADV's stuff uncut, but then it's a satellite channel). Oh, and let's get the execration of Saban going, I hear they were somewhat involved in the cutting of Escaflowne.

---------------
    We want to play so perfectly
    Can't wait for the production of the third Tenchi Muyo OAV series!

14. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Guest

Yep... Encore Action shows ALOT of anime...

Yesterday they showed 2 chapters of Gunsmith Cats and Macross Plus (both unedited).

Thanks for reminding me to check the schedule though... :p

------------------
    Ragnarok
    m000000000

15. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

yeah, I saw Blue Seed on the Action Network(3 episodes though)on a free week type thing...I need to order that channel. In Tenchi in Tokyo, Toonami style, Ryoko jumps out of underwater in a hot spring (near the end) and you could actually see her nude, all though it was far away...still!

16. IDAVE

IDAVE New Member

The tenchi OVA was the first of tenchi shown
    on cartoon network!

17. KagekenOokami

KagekenOokami New Member

What's a tenchi? And yes, i could kill the people who ruined Escaflowne that way. It's a sin to destroy such a masterpiece.

------------------
    The Wolf is a dangerous thing, but in the shadows, it's your death.
    -ShdwBlade

18. Kiaikou

Kiaikou New Member

uhm, with "a tenchi" ...do u mean what does tenchi mean...I think It was the world, heaven universe, the whole thing...somethin' like that...

//Aldamel, dun know that much japanese...

19. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Tenchi Masaki's first name 'Tenchi' means 'Heaven and Earth' its also the name of his grandfather Yosho's sword, that then became his. And yep, the Ovas of Tenchi were the first shown on Toonami, but I'm getting sick and tired of them bringing out 'the good tea' and getting drunk off of it, but hey, if I was younger, and I looked up to Ryoko as a role model, half the city's population I lived in would be decimated and I'd be drunk off of sake and running round naked all day...

20. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Just what we need...naked girls running around blowing things up...yah, that's normal.

BakaMattSu-ohki.