Fruits anyone?

Discussion in 'News' started by UrashimaKeitaro, Jan 24, 2002.

1. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

The immensly popular series (in japan) Fruits Basket has been licensed in the US now... by Funimation... read my hesitation for my reaction to said announcement. For those of you unfamiliar, Fruits Basket is about a girl whose mother has just died, leaving her without any direct relations, she takes up residence with her paternal grandfather, and, since he can't support a home anymore, winds up without that place either... so she takes up residence... somewhere, initially, well, you'll just have to find some episodes and watch it, the Chinese Zodiac is a central mode of the plot, so a little knowledge does help, but the series does a little introduction, so have no fear and go watch this wonderful comedy, that is about to be slaughtered by another american company...

-UK
    ~~~~~~~~
    is not really sure he should have disturbed the News forum with this

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

funimation? yippee! does that mean we get all the classic dbz voices in fruits basket?

OK, so it being licensed sucks.. not jsut that, but the fact that licensing tends to slow down the activity of fansubbers.. aargh

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Slow the fansubbers? How about cut them right out of the picture?

Still, kudos to Funmation for trying to bring some goodness... maybe one of these days they'll come to their senses and do a good job...maybe...

BakaMattSu, oh what fun...

4. UrashimaKeitaro

I'm just hoping they'll be quick about it and bring it.. I'm only interested in the Sub anyhow.. pray that they don't do to the Fruits Basket logo what Bandai did to Love Hina, I'm considering getting the legit Singapore dvd release just to avoid that horrid logo.

-UK

5. MamiyaOtaru

hehe that's just me and understatement. I like it. It's like a mild form of positive sarcasm.. or something

So yeah, it really su>

6. UrashimaKeitaro

I'll have to go get the link to the parody logo site, YK has it, I think.

We'll see what happens to BakaMX... they may or may not stop with fansubbing, they probably will as soon as they hear about it... then it'll be in the hands of another group.

Yet another series I have to wait for.. Mugen no Ryvius, Fruits Basket, Excel Saga... the list grows daily

-UK
    ---------------
    has some form of masochistic desire to hear what FLCL and Excel Saga sound like dubbed...

7. MamiyaOtaru

hehehe me too..
    FLCL could maybe be done.. done well I doubt it, but done. I just don't see how dubbing Excel herself is possible

If anyone ever gets those FLCL DVDs, we might get the chance to hear the dubs :) I wonder how the director's commentary will work? Will it play along with the show? And which version of the show? the dubbed one I wonder? argh

8. UrashimaKeitaro

well... I for one will be ordering the series from OmochaBox... if they're going to be including FLCL posters... I'm so there... I may order some manga too. Somebody local wanna collab on an order with me?

-UK
    ~~~~~~~~~
    technically doesn't have the money for that... shhh!

9. MamiyaOtaru

I just might. Question is, do we each get FLCL? Why not? can I afford it? Dunno. Time to start not eating..

10. UrashimaKeitaro

FLCL is such a cool series that multiple copies floating around wouldn't be bad, I'm getting it anyway, you may want it so you can watch it anytime... oooohhhh... I just had an idea... I need to talk to an old internet contact...

-UK

11. MamiyaOtaru

If I didn't get my own, would you let me rip it? Would be fun to try to rip with surround sound and multiple audio tracks all intact.. heck I'll prolly even do that if I get my own copy