Martial Arts Fun Facts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hitohiro, May 25, 2006.

1. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

Reading through the post you guys make here I see that to emphasize your points, you like to insert bits of martial arts history. So, here's a place that you can just go crazy and do so, as long as the info is historically correct. Whether is be about weapons, a particular fighting style, or anything else, here is the place to do so. This will give us all insight into the field or area in which we study or would like to know more about.

2. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

Oh Oh I got some small information on the Shinobi's history. Ok to start, all Shinobi really means is Ninja, or was derived from two Kanji to come up with Shinobi-no-mono. Ninja did not leave a whole lot of records I guess so there is not a whole lot known about there history (Can someone please correct me if that is wrong) One of earliest Ninja roots is Togakure Ryu. Which is said to be from the late hein period. And that Ninja were really common in the Sengoku era. And that Shinobi were the eyes and ears for some of the daimyo. Thats all i really know about there history. I know a bit about Bujikan and the 9 ryu's though.

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

hrm Shinobi or Ninja means "one who endures"

4. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

History on the Nihontou

The Nihontou, or Japanese Sword, has more or less one form in modern times, however it has gone through many evolutions to become what we see today.

Pre-Koto

The earliest style of Nihontou. These blades were straight in proportion, with a Kiriha-zukuri style blades, a flat blade with chisel edge and chiseled tip, or Hira-zukuri, a flat blade with a rounded kissaki (tip). Blades such as these were known as Chokuto and had large ring shaped pomels which were influenced by the chinese swords brought to Japan.

Koto Jidai

Kissaki Moroha Zukuri tachi were made in this period. These were curved and had a double edged point that ran about 1/3 of the length of the back of the blade. The most famous of these was the Kogarasu maru which marks the begining of the Koto era.

Heian Jidai

The Heian Jidai brought the first single edge Shinogi-zukuri blades (those with ridgelines unlike the hira and kiriha style). They were typically a calvary saber, over 30 inches in length. They had Koshi-zori (the deepest part of the curve was near the habaki or friction point). They had significant taper, ko-kissaki (small tips) and were generally very narrow.

Early Kamakura

By the early Kamakura, tachi had become much more robust, the blades were wider with less taper and the curve had begun to move to the middle of the blade (tori-sori).

Mid Kamakura

Blades of this period were much stouter and had much much less taper. they now had Ikubi Kissaki which were very short kissaki.

Late Kamakura

by this period the Nihontou had begun to take the shape that we all recognize. The blades were somewhat shorter than the perivious era and had less sori, less taper and chu-kissaki (mid tips)

Nambokucho

Blades of this era were "flaymboyant" with large wide blades with little taper of sori and O-kissaki (large tips). Many Hira-zukuri blades as well as Chokuto revivals were made. No-dachi field swords were also made but their huge size and weight made them impractical and hard to use and they were abandoned.

Muromachi

The Muromachi brought many changes to the Nihontou. Calvary tactics were left for infantry tactics and the sword was changed so that it could be drawn edge up on foot. Thus the katana was born. Muromachi swords generally had moderate saki-sori (sori near to the tip) with little taper and chu-kissaki.

Shinto

This marks the end of the Koto period. With 250 years of peace ahead, Sword smithing begins to decline. The classic style is Kanbun which has blades which are stout with chu-kissaki and are almost straight. Blades in this time of peace generally present wild hamon and intercate harimono (carvings).

Shinshinto

This period, late in the Edo Jidai, presents a reversal from the flamboyant swords of the early Edo Period, due to the swords smith Suishinshi Masahide who led a revival of sword making. All blades of this period are copies of the Koto period blades. Some Kogarasu Maru blades are replicated as well.

The periods after this swords smithing fell deeply into decline with the arrival of Commodore Perry in Uraga. Smiths continue to work making Gendaito (hand forged swords) however the army also has bar stamped blades (showato) made for the army.

Sword smiths continue to work in Japan today making works of art in Japan.