Video Games Getting all Teary-Eyed

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Billy277, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Movies make a lot of people cry all the time. Has there ever been a scene in a video game that made you cry, either out of sadness or out of joy?

2. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

I cried at the end of Final Fantasy X.

*****PAUSE FOR PEOPLE TO LAUGH********************

The sad stuff was laid on a bit thick, but it certainly got me worked up enough. For those who have finished the game, you'll understand (or think I'm a loony).

Kingdom Hearts is second, but I didn't cry so much as I was given a sense of hopelessness by most of the ending.

3. Wandering Soul

Wandering Soul New Member

omg!! i loved the ending!! it was so sweet and so sad *sigh*

hm...movies that made me cry.....sad sad romantic movies and i don't mean those gay 60's 70's 80's movies mostly anime *sniff sniff* they make me cry the most. and to all the guys out there!!!

I KNOW THAT MOST OF YOU DO TOO CRY!!!!!!!!!!

4. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

The game that almost made me cry was legend of dragoon. Didnt finish the game but some parts tore me apart! :sweat:

5. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Secret of Mana. OMG, the ending scene, when I saw it, I burst into tears...

6. jindo

jindo New Member

Saddest scene in videogames...
    1. FF 7 (when Aeris dies and Cloud releases her in the lake) :(
    2. FF Tactics (when Teta gets killed by an aero) :(

7. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Cloud laying Aeris to rest will almost surely go down as the most famous single scene in all of videogames. And yes, I also cried when I saw that - Not so much because of the scene itself, but the music that plays in the background is so gentle and sad you can't help but get choked up.

Teta getting killed also was sad, but I didn't feel enough of a connection to care THAT much for her - I was more fueled with rage and wanted to slaughter Algus (Which I did a few minutes later.) And femme_fatale, you nailed it with Final Fantasy X. They laid it on too thick, and in addition when I played it they were already rumors of a sequel so I knew not to get too worked up.

What about moments of happiness? I can think of two off-hand: The ending to Final Fantasy IV (Still one of the best endings - and games- of all time, in my opinion), and the resurrection of Crono in Chrono Trigger. When Marle and Crono embraced I wept like a baby. ;)

8. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

The end of Chrono Cross was rather upbeat... if you got the "real" ending by using the Chrono Cross on the last boss. It's a very hopeful and meaningful part of the game. That's one of my favorite endings. :)

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Don't think I've actually been brought to tears, but FF IV had to be one of the more emotional bringers.

Palom and Porom's stone sacrifice, with Tellah trying to heal them only to find that he can't because they willed the transformation. Rydia, orphaned by the death of her mother. And Yang. It was kind of lame to have them all revive at the end, but until then, very emotionally convincing.

The final scene of FF9 where Zidane reveals himself during the play and Garnet rips off her necklace to run down the stairs was well done, too.

I didn't find the Aeris death all too saddening. Keep in mind that I didn't really like her much, and the fact that I was wondering why she doesn't have blood while oohing at the cool look of Masamune.

Fenthick is hanged as Aribeth looks on, crying.

Sue decides she can longer adventure with the group.

I guess a lot of it comes down to well set up character deaths in RPGs. These type of games are so much more focused on stroytelling and character development that you often find yourself attached to many characters. Their loss projects to your own personal feelings, as you can feel it as your own loss.

I'm sure there are also some good emotional moments in other game types. Anyone have one?

10. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Didn't cry in any of these, but it sure did dent my feelings.

Aeris's death (Her theme tune is really good and nice but equally heart-trending)

Though it's not 'really' that sad, the scene when Rinoa is floating mindlessly in space gave me a strange feeling.

When you choose to give in the tortue chamber you'll end up having Meryll die. Quite a sad scene... the bit when she gets continuously sniped by Sniper Wolf was also a bit sad

Well, that's about it... those are one of the very few games I played which had good storylines.

^Shen^

11. Novus

Novus Gone

I cheered during that scene.

The opening movie of Chrono Cross, when I had the sound turned up really loud. Scars of Time gets me every time. It has to be the violin.
    Generally, I find the plots of most video games these days to be extremely drawn out and overdone, so I find it hard to really care about a lot of events because I already know what is going to happen. The endings of the last two Final Fantasy games were dead giveaways.
    I'm just too cynical for this sappy/pulply stuff.

12. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

Another game that really made me cry was final fantasy x. You would expect that i was crying because something sad happened but in reality i was crying because i got so mad at the ending. IT was an ANTI CLIMAX. It got me thinkin.....all this for nothin

13. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

The ending of Xenosaga would have been sad had it gone a different way than it did.

As it was, I was happy that KOS-MOS didn't get destroyed in the end, since she rocked, but seriously, I saw that ending coming from a mile away. OF COURSE she wasn't going to "die". Once Nephilim talks to Shion, YOU KNOW it's not happening.

14. zero35

zero35 New Member

the game that made me cry was the zone of the enders, The ending is so sad:(