Computers Getting Directdraw and Direct3d

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kain, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I've just bought Hlaf-Life 2 and low and behold, i can't get it to work.everyting has been installed and i've tried running it a few times, but everytime i get an error messaga saying "Engine Error: unable to init shader system". I looked at the website and it gave me an explanation.
    It said i should make sure that Directdraw and Direct3d should be enabled. I used the "dxdiag" command in the run box, and when i went to the display tab, the enable buttons for Directdraw and Direct3d were blank. So i'm wondering if theres a way to get these, cause i really don't know much about this stuff and i wanted to ask some others what they thought before i go messing with my computer (for reasurance only, not for somebody to blame ^^). Anyway i have DirectX 9 installied on my computer and my video card (Radeon 7000) has the latest driver (i think, version-6.14.0010.6368 is better then version-5.13.01.6166 right?).
    Any help would be great, if not, don't worry about it i still have the reciet...... i think ^^.

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

A Radeon 7000 supports DirectDraw and Direct3D (any card with DirectX does).

I surmise that you may have set your hardware acceleration too low in your display settings.

1) Go into your Control Panel, and double-click Display.
    2) Click the Advanced button.
    3) On the Troubleshoot tab, adjust the Hardware Acceleration so that it is set to full.

3. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

It was already set to full. I clicked on apply anyway, but i'm still not getting any reading on either Directdraw or 3D. I can't even start a test for it. Is there anywhere that i might be able to download them?

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

1) Can you attach your dxdiag.txt?
    2) Does dxdiag give any errors when you run the DirectX tests?
    3) When you installed the latest driver for your video card did you remove the old one completely and restart your machine before installing the new one?

Direct3D and DirectDraw are APIs, thus you already have "downloaded them" with DirectX.

5. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

1.I've sent a copy of the dxdiag results.
    2.For some reason i can test directdraw, but the enable/disable button is still not active. There were no errors when i ran the test.
    3.I'm not sure if anything was removed, that driver was there when i got the computer. The date on the current driver is more resent then the one i found on the manufactuers website. so i'm not sure if i would be downloadaing an old one or not.

Attached Files:

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

7. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Still not working, feck it i may just have to take it back to the shop. Thanks for your time.

8. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

download DirectX 9.0c or just upgrade to SP2, update AGP drivers from the motherboard
    if this doesn't work, darned 7000 then

*note* 7000s ARE the worst driver "supported" video card ever

9. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

At this point i'll give all that stuff a try. If it doesn't work i'll either bring the game back or get a new card altogether, somebody in college is selling a geforce fx 5200, so i might be able to pick it up cheap (i've heard its crap but what the hell, it plays the game). On the other hand i may just spend the money on somehting new.

Thanks for the tips.

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

...he's on a W2K system, running SP4. He wouldn't want to rollback to SP2. :p

11. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm so so so so so so used to people asking in XP due to being an desktop OS rather than a desktop-fied Workstation os, well you can figure out the probabilities of messing stuff up