Shirow Masamune Works Ghost in the Shell: Innocence

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by MamiyaOtaru, May 4, 2004.

1. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Has anyone else seen this? What did you think of it?

I found it a bit of a letdown. All the previews were pretty cool, but when watching the movie, I kept waiting for something to happen that I hadn't already seen in the previews. There were about two sequences that I hadn't caught a glimpse of already.

Well, that and a lot of talking. Unfortunately I don't really understand Japanese. That might have helped. It sure was a lot of talking..

There was a scene or two where I had no clue how it fit into the story. Flashbacks, dream sequences/whatever are pretty hard to catch when I don't know what's being said :D

The 30's looking cars were just.. weird. Aramaki didn't look like I remembered him (prolly thanks to SAC).

The movie just wasn't satisfying to me at all. Oh well, at least there is Standalone Complex 2nd Gig :D I may not always know what is going on there either, but I have a fighting chance, thanks to subtitles. And stuff happens :)

Someday I'll give a real review of this movie, when I see it with subtitles.. Hoping it goes a little better then!

2. Black Robed One

Black Robed One New Member

Yeah, I have seen it not a long time ago, and likewise I wasn't overly impressed by it. It is not that it was especially bad, but it looks very pale (in both animation and contents) comparing to the first Ghost in the Shell movie. I know, sequels a're usually not as good as originals (there are exceptions though), but in case with Ghost in the Shell it especially catches the eye.

You aren't the only one who had some troubles understanding what is going on in various flashbacks and virtual scenes, Mamiya-san, although in my case it is partially because of the very bad translation and no English subtitles (the translation to my native language are generally made rather badly, and so, I usually prefer to have either English translation or better yet Japanses speech and English subtitles). But also I must admit that I have seen Ghost in the Shell: Innocence only once (I've never felt like re-watching it), and such complicated movies usually take a few watchings to fully understand them.

Also, it must be a result of incorrect translation, but in Ghost in the Shell: Innocence everbody refer to the 'late' Major Motoko as Leiutenant. A very serious mistake from my point of view.

3. YokoburiKinura

A lot of talking, eh? Sounds like the director is really trying to keep it faithful to Mamoru Oshii's footsteps (Oshii seems to really like talking and more abstract sequences).

Maybe I should check the first movie again to see how far Aramaki differs from SAC. Not too much, if I remember right...