Shirow Masamune Works Ghost in the Shell

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by bubbles, Feb 21, 2001.

1. bubbles

bubbles New Member

Got the DvD there last week, and I have to say this film totally rocked ! Great story, nice animation, guns, nakid chicks, and even bigger guns!

One thing which upset me tho is the lenght.. was just getting into it and then "this will be our codeword when we meet again" followed by the credits :-/

More please!

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Well, I haven't really ever been one to enjoy most serious-type anime, so GitS really didn't really hit me too well...

Not only that, but it's been about two years I think since I saw it:

The first half was quite impressive (I'll give it that much), but from there on it just couldn't keep my interest for some reason or another...

-Baka-Matt-Su, sighing to himself, and reminiscing on anime flicks he watched but didn't really enjoy...

[This message has been edited by BakaMattSu (edited February 21, 2001).]

3. air

air New Member

Its based on the shirow manga , if you could even call it "based" , maybe *extremely loosely based*.
    Grab the manga , you'll understand, the film is about a chapter at best, maybe less. The book as with nearly all of shirow's stuff is very complicated, he uses alot of tech speak but explains it all in the margins.
    Theres a full appendix in the back of the manga as well i think.

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Ah, so it was complicated!!

I thought myself just missing half of what was going on was my fault...

Baka-Matt-Su, who may just have to try the manga side of things.

5. air

air New Member

In all fairness, they did leave alot of gaps in the anime, i just dismissed them anyway, but they annoyed alot of ppl. They never explained the relevance of the raiding party on the helicopter that lands and the reasoning why the chief says that the guys a puppet himself by just looking at him. In the manga they went in and raided the place and it made a bit more sense.

A slight warning, the english manga does contain censorship in one or 2 pages.
    The major is using VR at one stage, its supposed to be her having lesbien sex all naked and whatnot on a boat, they rescripted and re-drew it for the english version (you can find the page in one of the coloured pages of the manga and i have the original un-edited version somewhere on my harddrive if anyone wants it )

For extreme confusion, try appleseed, i had to read the second book 3 times, the third time in complete silence and using my brain to an insane amount to understand what the hell was going on. The 4 book series has a 5th book which is the databook for those who are lost , you'll need it.