Debate good/evil/equal???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chance, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

when we speak of good or evil, are speaking of specific things, or or not?
    even if there is good and evil, how can you determine which is which, and where the line is drawn between the two.
    :dizzy2: is there a middle ground between the two? tell me what you think.

if this is a repeat thread, then my appologizes.

2. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Not sure if this is a repeat thread or not, but I think I may have seen something similar before. Meh.

Anyway, I don't like to define "good" or "evil". The best "evil" character in a book, for example, is the one who thinks he's doing the good. Watch Unbreakable by M. Night Shyamalan, and you'll get a better sense of what I mean. And even the "good" guys commit quite a few "evil" acts, if only so that the greater "good" will prevail.

3. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Ultimately it's we who decide what's good and what's evil. Of course, what our parents and our authority teach us influence us a lot in that.

I'm sure there are people who turn evil because something they considered good turned out to be evil. So they end up rejecting everything that they considered 'good', because now they consider it evil. Or maybe they just stopped caring at all.

Very few evil people consider themselves evil. Consider Hussein or George W. Both think they're doing good. Well, I may be mistaken...

Also, think of terrorists. Al Qaeda think they're fighting for good (for God). And so do Israeli soldiers, US soldiers, cultists...

I've yet to find someone who considers himself evil and admits he does evil because he likes it.

So, what's good, and what's evil? Maybe this is what the book of Genesis meant when the devil tempted Adam & Eve when it said "You'll know good and evil". Who knows.

This is why I favor organized religion (namely, mine :p ) because it's better to have a well established standard of what's good and what's evil (i.e. the 10 commandments).

My 2 cents.

4. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

What is the true meaning of good and evil?
    [thread]14692[/thread]

AS for your question, evil and good (switched order :p ) do exist. But there's not absolute evil or good, just all is relative. So, I can't tell you what's evil in this world because nothing is evil. But I can tell you what's the most evil people in the world for me: SPAMMERS. I hate them, I can't understand why people do things like that for just money.

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

But organized religions with highly defined standards can create MORE conflict (for example, witness the atrocities of the old testament, the crusades, the inquisition). What good are such standards if they don't prevent anything or can be bypassed via loopholes?

6. luvweaver

The problem here is not having a defined moral standard, but trying to force that standard upon others. Still, what's better? To have one standard of good and evil, or to have none? Compare Law with anarchy. After all, what is the Law but trying to get widely accepted moral standards into practice?

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Which is what your religion has tried to do and in some areas still does try to do.

When did "not one" equal zero?

Laws can be corrupt, you know. A healthy balance of the two is needed.

8. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

anarchy causes balance. too much justice leads too full time dictatorship, while too little leads to full blown anarchy. chaos would reign supreme over everything. mind you, isnt it that way now. action and reaction...ect...

9. luvweaver

Well, at least you have to admit that the inquisition time is over, right? Unfortunately, there pretty much an anti-catholic disqualification. Like "you abused others, now it's our turn to get even". And stating that "the Church" or "my religion" still tries to enforce things, is generalizing. Just like saying i.e. that all americans are "stupid white men" or something (yes, that was a M. Moore reference).

Yes, but one thing is saying that laws can be corrupt (like the infamous american patent legislation) and another thing is saying that _ALL_ laws should be abolished.

And regarding Lucky:
    Anarchy means "a complete lack of law and rules" (perhaps you should study a little ethymology).

So yes, Law needs to be judged and modified by men. Which is why there is a congress. Unfortunately, it seems it's not doing its job... :-/ (stupid patent legislations)

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I know the inquisition is over, but there's still several Christian factions that are severly intolerant. There's a reason I can't openly talk about my religious beliefs in my hometown, and that's primarily because if I did I would have been even more outcast.

Let's face it. There's still a sizeable chunk of Christians who blame evil on comics, rock music, goosebumps books, video games, japanese animation and any other convenient scapegoat.

...When did I say all law should be abolished? I said that a mix of law and chaos was needed to maintain a healthy, growing society.