Video Games .hack // Infection

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MrPig, May 14, 2004.

1. MrPig

MrPig New Member

Any word on this guys? im not sure whether its good to pick up or not. As a plus it looks sorta like Grandia I + II (which i really enjoyed back then), but i kinda just want some closure on the anime, and some lighter stepping into the manga series...

Whats the verdict? looks the part, but longevity is the crucial word. The fact its only one part of 4 kinda says to me that it might be a little short lived. Especially to us in the UK at 50 bucks a shot =\

2. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Well, the game does have some nice areas and is pretty - except for the characters' mouths in cutscenes, which look lipless (my pet peeve with the game XD). It's a fun diversion. On the other hand, once you've played through the first game, you've basically seen all the area types already. There isn't much customization or variation - and although the premise is interesting and the characters are fun, there's just not enough substance there to warrant buying the entire series at full price, unless you're obsessive.

On the plus side, each game comes with a half-hour anime DVD, a companion to the game and anime stories which follows a new set of characters. These DVDs, as well as the in-game audio, are available in both dub and sub (a feature that I particularly valued). This helps to round out the cost a little, but it's not enough incentive for me to pay the price for a new release.

In the US, at least, the first two installments have dropped to $20 each. For $20, the repetitive gameplay isn't such a huge flaw. It's a good mindless game, the kind of thing that you can play when friends are around to distract you or you don't feel like going to sleep just yet.

Have you tried looking for overstock websites? Those have nice discounts much of the time. :)

3. MrPig

MrPig New Member

Problem is i cant run NSTC games... bah.

Anyway, at least working in a games shop i get 30% off. I s'pose that'll just about "americanize" the prices :p
    What the second one like in comparison? I dont think its out here until mid June.

4. Hice

Hice New Member

I'm up to the fourth game in the series, Quarantine. This series is excellent; good story, good gameplay, LOTS of side/hidden missions and bonus things to do besides the main story. Its an all around good game and I would and do recommend it to everyone.

5. MrPig

MrPig New Member

Cool, thats good enough for me, thanks Hice ^^

6. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Well, granted, most of the side quests are along the same lines as everything else - go into an area, and clear all the enemies/get a certain item/finish the dungeon, etc. *shrug* I don't know. It's not that I disliked the series - I've played the first two games and may get the second pair if/when I have spare cash - it's just that I can see a lot of things which could have been handled a bit better in terms of enhancing game replay value. The core concepts (plot, character variety, weapons, yadda blah) are terrific. But more could have been done with the dungeons and missions, and the world itself could have been more interactive.

I admit, my first console game was LoZ: Ocarina of Time, so I've always been convinced that a world's not interactive enough unless you can jump around on the land features and stuff. XD That would, I think, have added a lot to the combat mechanics - which can get a little bit dull.

7. ogami-rain

ogami-rain New Member

you'll like the game! I play it 4 hours a day! but I think I over played it cause I'm not playing it anymore..but you'll like it. The game actually became more interesting when I watched the anime and I understand the anime more than if I had not played the game

8. halo

halo New Member

i just bought this game. for $20 it seemed like it would be something good to occupy my time. one problem that i have with it is that i dont always know what a good trade is, i guess this just isnt the greatest game for me. do any of you have any good suggestions on how to know a good trade?

9. Inu04Koga

Inu04Koga New Member

its very good and interesting! believe me, spending 80$ or more for the whole 4 games is totally worth it!!! well, i already have and finished the first two and im searching for the 3rd one. im hooked! i guess i fell in love with .hack// cuz of the series:D but still, buy the game!