Video Games .hack//infection

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BakaMattSu, Mar 18, 2003.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

As the only release we've seen of the four part rpg series, .hack, I'm wondering if anyone's had a try at this.

The premise seems very unique and entertaining, being a single player game that emulates a player who is involved in a MMORPG.

Still, I have yet to try it, so I want to know what impressions it has made on anyone. How is the story, gameplay, and overall feel in your opinion?

2. Cunning Servant

Cunning Servant New Member

Do you have any idea on what its game mechanics are? I know the storyline is about an mmorpg, but does it PLAY like an mmorpg?

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

To begin with, it is *not* a real MMORPG as I expected after seeing the Anime series of the same name.

It's a single player game that involves the main character interacting with other players in and out of the MMORPG. Apparently, there are things such as e-mailing other players and connecting to servers and such. All other players that join your party are AI as to simulate MMORPG without actually being one. In fact, I've read that when you intreact with people, they may talk both in and out of character as a player might in the real thing.

The story goes pretty much like this. You're a player who is taken into the Mulitplayer world by a friend, and he gets taken out by a monster in the game. Back in the real world, he goes into a coma, and you decide the game has something to do with it. Now, you go into the world to hack it in order to get to the bottom of things.

So, as far as mechanics go, I believe the combat is real-time, as it works in MMORPGs.

It's an interesting twist to a standard RPG, and I'm just wondering if it was pulled off in good taste, or if it's not worth a go. The major thing is that it's being released in 4 parts - supposedly in serial style, with each part releasing within months of the last. That could mean either a great, long-running game experience, or an overpriced mediochre game. That's why I want opinions thus far.

4. Zero Enna

Zero Enna New Member

Actually i'v played it for only a week and it got me so hocked im almost finished with part one. th game get harder and harder on each world. what suprised me was that you could put in key words to unlock worlds. you actually have a desktop which you can put diferent backrounds and bgms upon errning ryu book and also keep checking the ryu books each time you come back from a world to earn backrounds and bgms and movies

the downside is that when you get your character to a really high
    level you meet a weak one which you have to play.
    the afection rating is cool but some peoleare hard to get then to care for you so shower them with gifs and reply kindly to your e-mails.

5. Alucard666

Alucard666 New Member

i want to buy it, ive only seen sreens of it, and i havent played it, but i would like to. as soon as i get some money

6. Komugi-chan

Komugi-chan New Member

I bought it because i'm a .hack Junkie o__O

and yes, when you're in "The World" it DOES play like a real MMORPG ^__^ which i think is uberly cool. There are slight variations with cutscenes and stuff, but when you're just levelling up it is alot like a regular MMORPG. The characters do actually talk OOC like people do and i've even seen some 133+ while i'm running around.. o__O as well as there's a certain character you get who's crazy and hyper active and a common thing to see from her is something like "THIS R0x!!! =) Kite, You're SOOOOOOOO much fun to play with!!! =D" I think it's really cool... and the E-mail feature is awesome o__O you can't send Mail at random.. but you can reply to some Email... and you get some pretty cool background stuff from characters you make friends with... And "The World" has a MB, and you can post things on it sometimes... responding to people.. you can also gain access codes to areas that have specific development to the plot.

It's a really absorbing game.. o__O and it's not too easy either. There's the Data Drain effect, and some of the monsters are a real challenge.. The fighting system is a lot like the system in Kingdom Hearts too. Like, AI that you can control.. (Only.. IMO, the AI in .hack//INFECTION are a LOT more intellegent than the AI in KH ¬¬) by you can yell specific orders, say.. you're paralized, or you die, you can ask one of your Party members to heal you, and they generally will. I think you can only get a game over if all three members die.. but that has yet to happen to me, so i wouldn't know...

I haven't finished the game yet, but I really love it! o__O and i suggest it to anyone who likes the Anime.. and lots of other people XD

~Komugi-chan

7. Okami

Okami New Member

hiya i just got the game and i dont know how to beat the first boss

yes i know its sad but the next game comes out in May so i gotta hurry

when i say the first boss i mean that green dragon thing thats at the place you were supposed to go alone and you were envited by that cat woman thing

8. Okami

Okami New Member

thanx
    I'm on level 11

is anyone gonna get the next game cuz i know i am

9. Phantom Cat

Phantom Cat Guest

I haven't played it yet but I really want to.I also haven't bought a new ps2 game in months and I have beaten most of the ones I own.So I think I might save up for it.

10. GenericHero5

GenericHero5 All Ska Super Star

Hey, i just rented it, and was none too thrilled...it plays like it strives to be PSO but, it fails...the battle system is pretty harsh, and the game just feels unfinished, like they could've done so much more. Its not bad, its just...-sigh- average.

11. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

Can anyone tell me wha the topic is about ?

12. Zero Enna

Zero Enna New Member

it actually a game inside of a game

i was going to get the second third and four game imports although there japanese but it was ni prob cause i know japanese but parents woud NOT get it for me. and i have no tome to play either with my May Day Program comming up at Sacred Hearts Hawaii

13. Vicious

cool. wish i knew japanese....then i would be playing twice as much games then im doing right now. I pity myself.......

I actually never played .hack but from what i heard its less then the average game.

14. Zero Enna

Zero Enna New Member

15. Vicious

But isnt toysnjoys in haiwaii or something
    How does this help me

16. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

WOOoOoO!!

i borrowed .hack//mutation from a friend and PWNED IT!! it was awesome....so many things to say.....oo another datadrain power (not too major jus lets u DD multiple enemies at once) hehe and more Helba goodness....*drool* lol
    *spolier *i think* I got to see cutscenes from .hack//sign in the game!! and stuff

17. Novus

Novus Gone

I found mutation way easier than infection. In pt1, I got worked by a few of the bosses. This one, I beat the last boss without even noticing it was the last boss because it was so easy.
    I got beat by Cubia once, though.

The .hack series is actually based on one of Wagners operas from the ring cycle. The title is "Twilight of the Gods" (can't recall the German title, just that I could never spell it). That explains all the references to the "Twilight of the New Gods" in the game. Here's some parallels:
    Sieg is the name of a character from Liminality, taken from Siegfried, the hero of the opera.
    Balmung is the name of Siegfried's magic sword.

At the end of the opera, I understand the whole world's destroyed. Maybe this will happen in the game as well. Or maybe The World will just be destroyed ...

I hear that pt1 is supposed to be character introduction, pt2 is plot, pt3 is mini games everywhere, and pt4 is eye candy.

18. Z01

Z01 New Member

Project.Hack//Infection Is Shorter The Any Other RPGS Ive Played But It was Far The Best Ive Played, I Never Turned My PS2 Off, Wich Probably Wasnt Smart But O Well, - I Can Still HearStatue GirlIn My Sleep - "X" "X" "X" Skills: Staccoto - Da** You Natsume Stop Dying On Me - Ooooo Fu** Out Of Ressurects!!! - Good Luck BlackRose - "Speed Charm"

19. cowboy

cowboy New Member

i've played it but i would not waste your money unless you collect .hack stuff or something it is very hard but if you still wanted to by it go ahead i would wait for the last game :anger2: