Hellsing Hellsing Manga Dialects

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by ZakoSoldier, Dec 31, 2003.

1. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

As we all now (or at least those who watch/read Hellsing) well for those who read the recentally released Hellsing manga from Dark Horse. Well I chose to ask the dialect of Rev. Alexander Anderson I know in the anime he has a New York dialect with an Italian accent. In the manga I'm not sure of the dialect he uses. I think he uses an Irish accent.
    -----
    For all those who don't know the differance between a dialect and an accent it explained below
    dialect:the words and prouncation of the words
    accent:actual voice

2. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

Hellsing vol.1, page 92, 2nd frame; "Whit can ah dae for ye?"

Yep tis Irish, but New york dialect? nah, id say it's more of an american trying to impersinate an irish person dialect :dizzy2:

3. centrax

centrax New Member

Hmm, I felt it was more of a scottish than Irish. Either way it is hard to read :)

4. Angel from hell

Well unless you have the accent, it is quite hard to tell the difference between a Scottish accent & an Irish one. If we were only given the text then it would be merely assumtion based upon his comments on "Deid english prodestants" if he were scottish he would only comment them on being english (Judging by the old steriotypes). But the programme confirmed it twas an Irish one. & yeah first time i read it... i had to look over some of his words twice ^_^'

(Sorry, just been in the debate forum... my heads still in that way :/ )

5. Charlie

Charlie Guest

Aye laddie, agreed, the auld accent thing is a bit of a strain, especially for people across the pond....how many hollywood movies have got Scots/Irish accents confused? A lot, by Jasus!

6. The Jackal

The Jackal New Member

hehe, you could read it in an irish or scottish accent. although the 'scottish' would be 'glasgow ned'
    now theres a nasty thought.. ned dubbing

7. Angel from hell

*Raises eyebrow*

Ahh dinnae kno we'her tae b slightly annoyed ah that or annoyed
    ... then again im noo a ned or live in Glasgae so... PuChu ^_^

(Perhaps i should post up that site to alert others if they ever decide to visit glasgow)

8. Charlie

Charlie Guest

Then again, have you seen the 'production report' on the Akira disc? It's a Japanese programme with American translation...the translation voices are ridiculous!