Computers Help: Files and folders locked

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ciel, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I've been reading a lot of unlicensed manga recently, as a result I've been moving jpeg images around, and a sort of weird problem occurs. I can't move an image into another folder without it then becomed locked and unviewable. Of course, it says I can go into properties to unlock it, but I see no option for this.

I just made a new folder, placed a folder with an image into this new folder and the folder within it is now locked/acess denied.

Would anyone happen to know how this occurred? The only way I can get to viewing images I download is by extracting files ont eh desktop and moving the file from there to a folder. But ... maybe it's the folder properties? they are all marked as read-only... so I don't see what's up there. I thought I used to be able to see what was locked or not.

2. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Hmm...Sounds wierd. Did you try to go to the "advanced" menu? Should be something up there.

Mind printing a screenie?

- Teddz

3. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Thanks Teddz. Here's a screenie of from left to right, the properties of a file, the advanced options for it, and what Adobe P.S. says about a file I moved that became unviewable when I threw it into that program. I've also tried to make a viewable file read-only but access is denied. I guess I shouldn't be doing that anyways...

Attached Files:

4. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Are you moving files within different users? Perhaps you have activated some security in those files. Try activating the Advanced Security tab of the Properties window. Right now I don't remember how :eek: Windows is such a laberynth when it's about system settings.

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Sounds like the file may be currently in use by a program resident in memory.

Lame suggestion: Restart your machine, then try to open it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Actually, I thought about that too. So, I thought maybe the file would become viewable today, after a restart. But no luck. Anyways it still says the file is currently in use.. how perplexing..

7. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Did you try to use the window picture "viewer" ?

If that happened to me, I would uninstall Photoshop and see if the problem have been solved. Clearly, Photoshop has it's hands on this too.

- Teddz

8. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I view all my files through windows. But for a few months now I right click and go to 'preview', since for some reason it opens onto a webpage view when I double click.

9. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I figured it out! I think.

Right-click on the file, and go to "Open with," select "Choose Program."

Pick the program you want to open it with, and check "Always do the selected action when opening this type of file."

Now, close it, and try opening the file by double-clicking. Does it work properly? If not, sorry for wasting your time.