Computers Help me and my dieing computer! T_T

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jaken, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

My computer seems to have some glitch. And it doesn’t seem to be anything that I can easily fix. I have done virus scans, spyware scans, computer scans thru AOL. And nothing turns up.

Here are the errors that I get;
    When ever I log on to my computer with windows XP. After all the startup programs have loaded, I immediately get a message that says something about Explorer not working(Explorer.exe) Every time this message comes up you can do the "send error report" and the "don’t send" option. Like when any other program locks up or freezes. But once you click either option the whole computer locks up and you are unable to do anything. Can anyone tell me what this is or what EXPLORER.exe is? And then what the problem with it might be?

Then I get messages when i shut down the computer. Involving a program called rundll.exe But that is not really my concern. But if anyone knows what might be causing this, it would be nice not to have its nuisance.

Please help me. . . .i am lucky i am able to get the internet runnning!! I had to go on another user name, same errors come up but you are able to use programs afterwards. i dont want to do this forever. Can someone please help me?! I would be most greatful if you could. Thanks.

((i'm about to thow my computer out the window. . . . i hate windows XP))

2. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

your computer is seeing the light unfornutely, it's not WinXPs fault..
    steps to protect yourself...
    don't even touch IE6
    put a good quality firewall www.zonelabs.com
    a good antivirus, McAfee is better than Norton's
    and keep your windows up to date always

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

If you're getting trouble the .dll files and explorer itself....just reinstall.

It really ISN"T that hard.

Your explorer (which includes, i think, both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer) is probably corrupt, and you'll need the boot disk to have it repaired, in any case.

As far as rundll.exe, I've no idea what actual program that it's connected to...perhaps it's a windows.dll? Sounds like it is, and if it is, I'd fix that anyway with another install.

Or go Linux!

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Explorer.exe
    Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer, which handles the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager.

rundll.dll
    A legitimate Windows file.

rundll.exe
    Added to the system as a result of the LOXOSCAM virus that is a backdoor Trojan that allows a hacker to gain access to the computer. The application is written in the Delphi programming language.

If your error message on shutdown involves not being able to find rundll.exe, that area is fine...otherwise you might want to open task manager, end the rundll.exe process, and then manually delete the file if not of your various scanners picked it up...

If none of that works, you can try WinXP's System Restore feature. Roll back your system to an earlier date when the computer was working without a problem.

Explorer.exe is one of your OS's main files (as you can see from the above description), and if it's defunct you may be forced to wipe your comp and start with a clean installation.

5. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Okay. . . so to put it simpler. . . .do i just have to reinstall windows? or do a repair with the main disk? Now would the disk be the original Windows XP disk? or some other one? When i reinstall, will all my files still be intact? Nothing will change, just the broken things will be repaired, right?

The error with rundll has a 32 at the end also. . . if that means anything. . .sorry i had it wronge before. rundll32.exe
    It comes up at shutdown and says it was unable to close and so you can either wait for it to close or do end task. But i will try deleting it. That is if rundll32.exe is okay to delete.

Sorry if i sound so stupid. . .and ask alot of questions. . .i am not that great with the computer technical stuff. :sweat2:

And i dont know when the last time my computer was working correctly so i dont want to risk it with systems restore. I hope i dont need to wipe the computer clean. . . o_o ;_; If worse comes to worse. . .would i be able to take it to a computer repair place? Is that something they can fix?

Well thanks for your help so far. I will try out what you have suggested so far and get back to you.

6. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Rundll32.exe is NOT okay to delete. In fact, it's a rather important file.

Burn your important documents, and files, and whatever else you want to keep that didn't come with your computer.

Put in your windows CD, and completely reinstall windowsXP. And yes, it IS the WindowsXP disc. Your files will not be intact, as it will completely erase the hard drive. I'd say not to bother with repairing, because reinstalling can clean out your system of crap you don't need, and stuff that shouldn't be in there in the first place.

As far as taking it to a computer repair place? Yeah, they probably could. But do you REALLY want to pay so much money just to have them fix a file or two? Reinstall. If you can't back up your stuff into CD-Rs or DVD-Rs....then it's high time to get a burner. You can probably get one for somewhere around 40 bucks anyway.

7. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

no, you aren't stupid... microsoft is :)
    try repairing the installation (system restore)
    then... if that fails... FORMAT

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Not to mention said "repair places" will likely just format and clean install if they can't figure your problem out in less than 10 minutes. So why pay money for something you can do yourself.

rundll32.exe is the file Windows uses to load library into memory so programs can use them. Delete that and your computer will definately not run.

So, we're back to those two options:

1) System Restore. It should be in your Start Menu, under Accessories, System Tools.

2) Clean Install. Backup all important files on removable media, then boot from your Windows XP cd and follow the installation instructions.

9. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Thank you all for your help. System Restore did the trick. All the errors and such are no longer there. Thanks again! And now i am somewhat smarter with Windows. ^^;; I dont think i will ever like it but. . i am getting used to it. :anime: I am sure my computer thanks you too! ^_^

10. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

erm. . .well here is an update. >< A new problem has risen. A new error invoving RUNDLL. The error comes up on my computer around every 2 minutes. And its very anoying. The attachment is a picture of the error.

Should i do a system restore to solve this problem as well. Or is that unnessesary?

Attached Files:

11. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

It started occuring just yesterday. And i have no idea what caused it. ^^;;

12. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

put the windows CD...

Start > run > "SFC /scannow"

13. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Well it scanned. And nothing happened and shortly after the error came up again. x_x

14. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Well figured out with system restore and some digging into the computer. I found the file that it keeps looking for and saved it else where on my comp. And what i discovered by placing copies of the file in the folder is that what ever program that is looking for that file, must be deleting it. Is there anyway to find out what program is deleting or trying to use the file?

15. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

You can also do an in-place Repair install.

Directions:

1) Put your WinXP cd in the drive
    2) Reboot
    3) When you see "Press any key to boot from CD ROM" hit space or whatever.
    4) Wait for Windows to load to the 'Welcome to Windows XP' screen
    5) Hit enter to continue loading Windows
    6) Wait for the License Agreement
    7) Hit F8 to agree to the license.
    8) You should have an option to press "R" to repair. Hit R.
    9) Wait

This lets you reload the core OS files, without having to reinstall every single program you have.

- Ark

16. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

I did what you said but it didnt work. I never got the press any key or boot from CD.

I have done something like this with a diagnostics CD. And i got a Message that would let me choose to boot from cd or hard drive. And it worked. But nothing happened with the XP cd.

17. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Well it doesnt matter anymore. I figured it out, i found out what program was using the file, then i deleted the program and now it works fine. And everyones suggestions, helped make my computer run alot faster! My comps completly back to normal. Thanks!