Square Enix [Help Needed] How to input Japanese in FFXI

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by royyoung, May 23, 2005.

1. royyoung

royyoung New Member

Hi everyone ^^ this is my first post here

Is there anyway i can input kanji and kana when playing FFXI so it's easier for me to communicate with Japanese players (also I can improve my Japanese at the same time -_-) ?

I'm running English client version on Windows XP pro system.
    Thank you in advance.

2. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

You need to install the japanese language pack - it should come with the CD. Use "add / remove windows components".

Then install the fonts and japanese keyboard definition.

3. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

or you can just go to the computer store like comp usa (man, they suck.) and have them install it for you.

that's what my ofukuro did. :p

4. royyoung

royyoung New Member

あいうえお~

I have that installed already. I can input Japanese perfectly in other applications like Internet Explorer, Office, etc, but I can't switch to Japanese input mode when I'm in the game. Guess I will try it again today. Well maybe I should just try to find a copy and install the Japanese version.

5. kanshona

kanshona New Member

I think the whole problem is that the NA version of FFXI doesnt support the kanji/kana input at all. </sigh> 私は残念である

6. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

I don't think it'll work but it's worth to try. You should follow the directions in this [post=200581]post[/post]. I bet the game won't run after this, though :p

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

As stated above, I don't believe it supports direct input of those characters - you can see them, but not type them. The best you can do is use the in-game keyword system they have or hope romaji is enough...or else get a Japanese copy of the game.

8. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I take it you can't input alternate characters like "ø¬õ×l▓←"?

Sucks, I'd be Ragnarøk. :p

9. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

it's a little...after the fact, but you can do the alt characters in chat,rag. there was a great face we ran around with on Fairy made that way. you just can't use it on names. not even the japanese can use any kana in their names.

as for typing in japanese, i believe you can do it. friends of mine in cali and in denmark did it somehow. i know it's a tricky set up for it though. only person i've talked to though that had to do it, actually runs the japanese version on her system. you should be able to google or look at alakhazam or the ifirit forums(i can't think of the full name...it has ifrit in it though >.>might be killing ifrit.)

10. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

and here i was playing FFXI trying to figure japanese out the hard way xD:dizzy2: