Debate holidays....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chance, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

do we really need them? if so, why?

2. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Yes we do need them, its a break from the routine that you usually go through everyday. Its a time where you can go off and do something for yourself and realx for a little while and not really have to worry about whats happening in the office. Its also a great chance to get out there and see part of the world, go places you want to go, see things you want to see. I mean if you don't get any holidays then your just going to be working your entire life, and you'll never really get a chance to do the things that you want to do.

1 person likes this.
  3. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

Kain pretty much said what was the thing to say. You see, holidays are the thing that saves us from total boredom and maybe even a nervous breakdown.

Also if you're in a really delicate and important job like a heart surgeon, lack of holidays may cause you to make a fatal mistake.

Holiday, like Kain said are the time for you to relax.

4. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

but what about those of us that work through the holidays that don't get a break the rest of the year either? retail is a pain, and the holidays make it a horror XD
    how'd i start yesterday off? was ringing a lady up, another walked up to my till while i was still with her, and started talking. i cut her off telling her i'll be with her in a second, and she storms off in a high-and-mighty huff. that's a light reaction. people will get moodier and more annoying, like with every holiday, though christmas more so.
    the only people that really and truely get a break for holidays, are students up through high school. cause not every teacher assigns homework, and i'd rather do that than deal with holiday masses.

5. SilverBrair

SilverBrair New Member

holidays are some of the only times peoples family comes together to spend time and catch up on some things they've missed. it's a down time for relaxation. i would go out of my mind if there were no holidays. :dizzy2:

6. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Even without holidays as such (assuming you mean specific "special" days as opposed to merely time off), we would certainly not die of stress and boredom. In fact, many people find holidays to be even more stressful than their regular routine - there are expenses, travel plans, the strain of being around family members you may not like, or the hardship of not having anyone to spend the holiday with. So, no, I don't think that holidays are necessary for relaxation.

Holidays are, however, important. Not only are they occasions which can be greatly beneficial because they bring people together and (ideally) promote feelings of unity and generosity, they're important times to pass on traditions. Holidays are tied up in our history - both our historical pasts (celebrations of victories in war, freedoms gained, or the birth of a historically important person) and our religious backgrounds - and in our family traditions. I'm sure that many families have a special Christmas recipe, or particular practice that's come down to the current generations from decades ago.

7. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Indeed, I'd do the same thing if my winter break were gone. You have no idea how exausting my school is.

KaiyonTormentor

8. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

Meh. Holidays, like chocolates, are good in moderation, but they're not exactly considered neccesities (which isn't to say I don't benefit from the relaxation, or in certain circumstances as Dilandau pointed out, pandemonium of it all. Holidays are great excuses to indulge ourselves, and [again, as Dilandau already pointed out..I'm feeling a bit repetitive ^_^] significant to conforming to historical traditions).

9. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Why yes! We do need holidays. Come on..it's that one time of the year that you get to spend with your family and most importantly out of school hehehe. Well, that's why we need holidays, the world needs them! Like Kain said, it's a break from your routine! Everyone needs a break sometime!

-SakataKentaro

10. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

Yes, i need my holidays. If i dont get them i go totally crazy :dizzy2: . I find studing stressful, so if i dont get my share of relaxation i'll probably turn to energetic vampire. :bleed:

11. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

Dude i can relate to the school being draining he mine is pretty bad on wearin on your nerves well on to the debate we need holidays we need them because we do well that aint a good enough reason is it my opionion it helps busy family's get together and enjoy the company of each other and to help relieve pressure and for rest

12. Feena

Feena New Member

Not only are they good for relaxing, they give you something to look forward to. Sometimes the build up and the atmosphere it creates can be better than the actual time off.

13. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

OOOO! Holidays are the greatest. If its not out to relax, its to have some fun. But then again, there's not much difference between them for me!

-K