Saber Marionette Homages, Recallings, copies and cameos

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by kapitanbar, Aug 13, 2004.

1. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

I don't know if you are interested about this but here it goes anyways. SM has many parts taken from another anime and/or other kinds of art. Here goes some that I remember:

In SM J, when the saber dolls go to Japaness (with costumes) in order to compete with Lime, Cherry and Bloodberry, Panther looks a lot like Maetel, the "heroine" from Galaxy Express 999.

When Hanagata knows that his father will make a visit to his son (Chapter 3 of j to x?) he screams in terror and he'is depicted as in Munch's picture, "The Scream".

The Sukiyaki song (this one was posted on Hanami's SM world) It's the same song sung by the girls and also by Nuku-Nuku.

Anyone else?. At least I know those ones. :p

:dizzy2:

1 person likes this.
  2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Tons of these throughout the series, which is a very cool thing to say the least. The easiest ones to spot are in the names of many characters and places. Many are obvious, and mentioned numerous times over even in this forum, but for completeness sake, I'll repeat them for this thread.

Ieyasu Tokugawa
    The shogun of Japoness has the name of a famous figure from Japan's history.

Lorelei
    From the German folklore of the Lorelei. Similar to the greek mythology's Sirens, she was a beautiful creature that lured sailors to their death with her song - very much how she was that unattainable person for Faust and Ieyasu.

Faust
    primarily from German legend and many offshoots telling of a magician/alchemist who sold his soul to the devil in exchange for knowledge and power. SMJ's Faust gives up his true soul in his pursuit of Lorelei.

Gartlant
    A nod to Nazi Germany. I think that's where Hess' name was lifted, as well, although it's a bit of a stretch to find the similarities between himself and real-life Rudolf Hess.

Luchs/Tiger/Panther
    Taken from the names of German tanks.

Baiko & Tamasaburo
    Names taken from famous Kabuki actors, men who played women for stage perfomances. It fits more in late SMJ:
    When they take on the roles of Ieyasu and Hikozaemon

M.E.S.C.A.L.
    The New Texas marionette models are obviously influenced from Terminator 2's T1000.

Ponta-Kun
    The mother is pretty much Godzilla, wouldn't you say so?

Cashio
    Is the name of the store where Cherry gets the clock fixed - a play on the electronics brand Casio (props to Hanami for this one)

Mishima Heisuke
    Thanks to kapitanbar for bringing over more Hanami knowledge. :) This is apparently a nod to a famous anime scene -- but I can't get further details, as most of Hanami's site sadly doesn't function anymore...

Obiichi Soemon
    In early fandom I remembered cracking up over someone labeling Otaru's master as "Obiichi Kenobi". But, it's possible that the calm warrior's name is a nod to the Jedi Knight, Obi-Wan Kenobi. All it takes is a small substitute of part of his name. Quite simply put:

Obi + ichi = Obi + one = Obi + wan

1 person likes this.
  3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Forgot a few:

Mesopotamia
    Named after the area within the fertile crescent that was the crux of civilization following prehistory. Many believe the fabled Garden of Eden was in that particular area.

Genbu, Suzaku, Byakko, and Fan-Fan
    Yang Ming's marionettes are influenced by Chinese Mythology, and are each named (or at least modeled in some form) after one of the Four Gods of Heaven and Earth. Yu Watase's Fushigi Yuugi makes use of this material as well.

4. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Actually, as I recall, Lorelei lured sailors into SHIPWRECK. Is it a coincidence that the mesopotamia fell in love with Lorelei and hence, the shipwreck?

Exactly. The written word is "kenobi", but it's pronounced "Soemon".

5. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

Satoru Akahori said in his radio programme (in 1997, when SM was released in Japan) that he was moved to make this story by two anime Hi no Tori (by Osamu Tezuka) and Kikaider, another story of a (male kind) robot with a circuit that allows him to develop emotions.

Another appearance of a Edo era japanese City is Samurai Pizza Cats, and Akahori was one of the guys who wrote the script for this series.

6. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Xi'an
    As we all know, Xi'an is a country on Terra II, in which
    Lime, Cherry, and Bloodberry lose their memories and Otaru practically kills himself trying to find them

But it's also a city in central China. I noticed this some time ago, while happening to glance at a map. I know very little about the city, so any further information is helpful. I think I remember learning that Xi'an was the ancient home of the Emperor or something, but...

7. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Xi'an
    "As one of the six ancient capitals in China, Xian served as the seat of 12 imperial capitals for 1,120 years and also a world-famous tourist city, a treasure house of cultural relics"
    Source

"Xi'an (pronounced Shi - an), capital of the Chinese Empire for almost a thousand years, was one of the world's great metropolises, rivaling and even surpassing its contemporaries: Baghdad, Constantinople, and Rome. (Xi'an is different pronunciation than Xian. The apostrophe indicates that Xi'an is two syllables as opposed to Xian that is one syllable)."
    Source

This city really looks as the one on SMJ2X Satoru Akahori has done a great job.