Saber Marionette How did you acquire your copy of SMJ?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by marc_alvin7, Feb 2, 2005.

?

How did you acquire your copy of the whole SMJ series?

1. DVD

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. record from TV

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. download from the net

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Not yet complete

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Don't have them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. marc_alvin7

marc_alvin7 New Member

I got mine through Bittorrent and Edonkey/Overnet. I got SMJ and J Again through Bittorrent. Took me almost two months completing SMJ-X because of lack of sources and I wasn't able to download during the x-mas season. Now I'm in the process of burning them into vcd formats... :D

2. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

:prideful: I purchased my copy of the Saber Marionette J Ultimate Collection Number 566 of 5000 over E-Bay, and it arrived December 18, 2003. Before that, I had copies of J and J Again recorded from the DVDs my friend lent me.

Owning that Collector's Edition gives me so much pride...

But, I'll tell you what I plan to do, also. I plan on purchasing another copy, and getting the second autographed by the vocal cast. (Japanese, of course) Won't be easy, but that's what I want to do.

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

This thread is very close to the line, and I will emphasize that BJP does not advocate or promote illegal activity. I don't want to see any links to downloads crop up in here. Do so, and I will take action.

Good. Now that that's said...

My "original" copies of Saber Marionette are fairly dated, and were a copy of what was mainly fansubs. I owe much to Guy and Ciel for allowing me to dub a copy of my own to wear out with extended viewings. In fact, I think I still have those VHS's stacking somewhere in storage.

Of course, J to X got dropped midway through by its fansubbing group as it became licensed (and then Bandai-Entertainment sat on their thumbs waiting to release it for another couple years...but that's a story for another day). Ciel had the first 10. There were the even rarer 11-15 out there, that I managed to track down - and then even after, the dreaded Hong Kong bootlegs - Terrible subbing job (a quick show of their "talented translation" is in the names "Amy" and "Little Red", Lime and Bloodberry respectively).

Dismayed at those terrible versions (and without the time to resub them into real english -- I *did* do episode 16 in entirety, though) Bandai-Ent finally had gotten off its duff to release the remainder.

I picked up J Again at a Future Shop in Windsor. It was my very first DVD - I only bought it because it had everything in one shot (unlike other 6-series like FLCL where they milked the buyers). SMJ was still my favorite, and it was inevitable that I would order the 3 2-Disc sets from a local Cinema-1 (it was my first and last order there -- very overcharged).

And of course, it was time to finish it.

I unholstered my credit card, swooped over to Amazon.ca, and in about a week's time, I had the J to X set.

One year later, everything released in a limited edition boxed set. I was both excited that such a thing existed, but also perturbed that I had shelled out 2-3x the cash for all the individual releases. Ah well -- I still to this day have to hold myself back from ordering out a set nonetheless.

Oh, and I picked up SMR when Media Blasters dumped it on the market last year - for completeness sake.

4. marc_alvin7

marc_alvin7 New Member

oops....

sorry, good thing i didn't cross the line... :)

5. ProtoType

ProtoType New Member

A long time ago (must be 8 years ago) I bought SMJ on VHS step by step up to 6 casettes (here in germany it cost a lot of money to import the american VHS). I didn't get the last volume at that time. And I bought Saber Marionette R also on VHS (US-import as well). A year later I bought Saber Marionette J Again 1 also on VHS.
    Later on I see the DVD release (also in USA) and I wanted to buy it. So I sold my SMJ-series to buy the DVDs. On ebay I get the Saber Marionette J Again double-DVD, then volume 1 of Saber Marionette J (also a double DVD). And I get Saber Marionette J to X volume 6 (that was the only one available).
    Two years ago in germany was Saber Marionette R released and I bought that on DVD.
    But after christmas last year I've saved a lot of money and I bought the limited Ultimate Collection on ebay! Now I've got every episode on DVD! ^____^

6. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

^_^;; Well, all my copies are original DVDs, no bootlegs. From J series to JtoX. Although I'm still missing the Tiger JtoX DVD x_x; They always have one and don't have the other. Anyways... I got them at Frys Electronics, and I've cherished them ever since I got obsessed with SMJ XD I have to whole JtoX series also in Chinese VCDs ^________^

7. Tailki

Tailki New Member

Hey haven't been on here in forever!! My freind got me the second collecters set for christmas and I just started watching it and finished the first disc. Its great!! Know bout more stuff that was in some of the old rpgs I did on here. Maybe I'll be around more??

8. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Wert!!

Well I'm in Singapore right now and I'm totally Blitzed. It's amazing how half a bottle of really nice Wine and an import Beer (which is really local beer when you think about it) can eleviate your mood.

YAY!!

So in the spirit (no pun intended) of drunken exhuberence I say HI HO to everyone back in the United States and I hope you're having a better time than I am out here at sea. YAY!!

That said (and back to the topic at hand...) I managed to score my original copies from fan subs a long while back. I don't think that anyone here wants to hear (for the millionth time) how I got them or that first night spent glued to the computer screen. Heck, I can't even remember who fan subbed it. Might have been a DVD rip, I can't remember.

But now I take great pride in saying that I own the complete box set/autographed collectors edition. I dont know the number off the top of my head (I'm two steps from totally trashed right now, gimme a break), but I know that the Box art wasn't as good as those on the individual sets I bought a year prior to purchasing the box set.

And SMJ is stilll good.

Good times to all! I hope you're all doing well, wherever you are right now.

Take it easy and take care. Stay safe y'all!

~the intoxicating Wert

[Edited for content by a friend with a markedly lower B.A.C. than the wert.] :D

9. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

Man, you're all gonna laugh at this but...

Okay. To make an even longer story short(er)... when a friend of mine introduced me to SMJ in...2001? Yes. I found a cheap set of tapes on ebay for something like 32.00. This was before DVD technology had become quite as omnipresent as it is now, of course, so VHS could still fetch a decent price on auction sites. Er...anyway. I liked the first few episodes and I had some cash saved up, so I purchased the set. A little while later I got J Again in a collectors box, and then R on tape, too. All legitimate copies. I confess that I did purchase a Hong Kong set of J to X, but I rationalized this by saying I would purchase all of J to X when it had it's American release.

I eventually got all of J, J Again and J to X on DVD. However I still don't have volume 6 of J to X on DVD. Money's been a bit tight, and the last DVD set I bought was the apocalypse arc of Utena, which really was a fantastic investment. I don't yet have R on DVD either, but since I have it on tape I figure I can wait a little while longer.

Well, that's it, then.

~ AOI

10. Lady Aoi

Hahaha! Those subs are absolutely evil! I can't believe we were both desperate enough to order them from Hong Kong! (I think I was the one who talked you into buying those, right?)

Also, the HK subs seemed to translate quite a few of Lime's words as "bulls***". Which I found simply hillarious all things considered.

I had forgotten, Matt, that you "re-subbed" episode 16. I remember now that it was excellent work.

~ AOI

11. Reisti Skalchaste

Darnit, all this talk about the HK bootlegs is making me curious! Now I want to see them, just to know how bad they are! I hate bootlegs, but now I need to see this one, out of pure curiosity!

...I wonder how I'd find them, these days...

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Actually, I didn't order a set. I managed to get another fan to DVD rip them after much begging and pleading. I know many told me to just wait and that they were terrible, but I just couldn't.

I should still have the bootleg copies around somewhere...I tossed them aside very quickly when I bought the legit ones, but ripping and posting a few of the "better" translated scenes would be good for a laugh, I suppose.

I had forgotten about the bullshit lines. They cracked me up, too. Maybe my memory's failing me, but weren't they actually Cherry's lines? I'm thinking that's why they were so improbable - Cherry is probably the least likely of the three to curse. :p

13. Hoshi-kun

Hoshi-kun New Member

Saber Marionette J was a series I've always wanted to see. In the summer of 2002, the Saber Marionette J Ultimate Collection was announced. Seeing it would be cheaper to buy the set than getting the separate DVDs (and being an LE item), I pre-ordered by copy at DVD Planet. Two days after the official release date, I received my copy in the mail and watched the whole series in two weeks to "enjoy" the last couple of weeks of my summer break. I instantly loved SMJ and it managed to sky-rocket as my favorite series of all-time. I did some research on the series, and found out there was a manga series and another OVA (SMR). I bought SMR on VHS when RACS had a VHS sale (it happened to come on my birthday ^_~). I also got the first two volumes of the manga in English as a present. So yeah, I now have all of the anime. I’m planning to get the rest of the manga, the SMR DVD, and, hopefully if my kanji skills get any better, the novels.

As for that bootleg thing, it would be highly amusing to see how bad the subtitles turned out. I never buy bootlegs, but I'd like to know how they translated the series XD.

14. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

a friend of mine loaned me a DVD so I could fix it.. I had to watch it a million times to fix it in the end...

guess what that DVD was ;)

and then I got it of Locomotion ^^ to VHS

15. Lady Aoi

Oh. For some reason I thought I convinced you to buy them. Maybe that was InuYasha or Mamiya I'm thinking of...I know that I convinced someone to do it!

Please do. I still have mine and would be happy to give them to someone *BUT* I promised them to a friend a few months ago, along with the rest of my tapes, in exchange for the first season of Utena on DVD. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

(Matt is it breaking protocols if I tell Shinryu how he can get the bootlegs? Shinryu, Im assuming you own the series so no one would be losing money).

Possibly some were Cherry's. BUT, they did translate one of the episode titles to something like "the bullshit of happiness". And as Lime always announces the episodes, it must have been her.

Actually I'd find the idea that any of them would cuss a bit shocking. Bloodberry's arguably the most foul-mouthed of the lot but I don't remember hearing anything worse than the occassional "damn" come out of her mouth.

Watching the bootlegs reminded me a little of the Mark Twain story "The Jumping Frog of Calaveras County", where the story supposedly is translated into French and then back to English -- sort of like a 19th century forerunner of babelfish. Good stuff.

~ AOI

16. Reisti Skalchaste

Just PM me about it. That's not against the rules, I believe. Thanks! *rubs hands together, ready to laugh at the awfulness* :D

And yes, if you look at my above post:

17. sapphire_deity

sapphire_deity New Member

I first saw SMJ when a cousin's friend asked if I could watch it with her. After an episode, I had to go and couldn't see it further. Later that day, I dropped by at an Anime shop and decided to buy DVDs on sale. It happened that SMJ was one of them. So it was then about 5 years ago that I first had my SMJ copy.