Art How do you make eyes look like they're looking somewhere other than DEAD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Stardust Phox, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

As odd as that may sound, I really do want to know. I can't get characters' eyes to actually look somewhere~!! *sigh* All help is/will be appreciated~

*your local question maker

Also, before I forget, can anyone tell me what they do when drawing glasses? I'm pretty sure it's one of the last things you draw, but I mean as in ... any guidlines so they won't look oogly? ^^ Thanks.

2. Solid_dragoon

Solid_dragoon New Member

Well the way I draw eyes is by drawing the top of the eyelid with a line (curved), then a semi-circlish thing for where he/she is looking. What I do glasses is is drawing two small circles and the lines for the ear hook thingy, but it usually looks kinda odd.

3. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

Eh, only thing I could offer is as long as you got the eyelids down, just try different positioning of the iris/pupil, but make sure that they sorta correspond and such in each eye, like in the same basic position and such. Sorry if that doesn't help. ^^;; Also, I suck at drawing glasses, so can't help you much there, sorry.

4. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

There is no one way... but this is how I make eyes look some where. IT actually depends on the shape of the eyes.
    I usually add some shades and light to make an eye look some where... I really cant' explain
    hmm maybe check the attachment
    I hope this helps :sweat: :sweat:

Attached Files:

5. Holly Jolly

Holly Jolly New Member

Just have the character stare at you, if you can't do that...well then I don't know how to help. Glasses come in so many shapes and sizes, just make sure they don't get in the way too much, this is why many anime characters wear HUGE glasses.

6. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

Ooooo.........*stares at the shades on the eyes* I see....

My characters never stare at me. o_O;; ^^;; They always end up looking into space.............it's weird. I think I can try now. That really helps a lot!

7. Kat

Kat New Member

Ok I have no advice that I can just tell you and since I STILL don't have a scanner I will merely provide you with the website to some good tutorials

www.polykarbon.com

Just go to the Tutorials section, this is a more realistic kind of anime.

www.howtodrawmanga.com

This is more traditional anime/manga style. Again just go to the tutorials and I'm sure they will both have something you can use in learning how to make your eyes look more like they are looking. Eyes are the key to pictures, as it is said they are the windows to the soul, and should be drawn as such.

8. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Well, I just draw the pupils where I want them to go, and that's it. See attachment for example. It's a bit crappy, 'cause I just made it now with my mouse, but I think it gets the idea across.

Attached Files: