Toys and Models How to Paint Gundam Model Kits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by b-tuvs, Jun 17, 2006.

1. b-tuvs

b-tuvs Member

If you're nuts about Gundam models like me, I bet that once in your life you stopped and said "HOW THE HECK DO THESE GUYS PAINT THE GUNDAM MODELS???!!!"

I have bought a lot of Gundam model kits and I always compare my output with the pictures on the instruction manual and I can say that mine looks totally off compared with the ones on the pictures. The Gundams on the pictures look awfully cool and very smooth with thin straight lines going all through out the model. HOW THE HECK DO THEY DO THAT!??? I know that they use somekind of tools to make their Gundam models look like that, but my real question is, what kind of tools they use, what kind of paint, markers etc... they use to make those cool looking Gundams in the Pictures??? Does anyone have an idea about this???:confused:

2. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

Psssh I used Airbrush and it gave awesome variances in paint thickness... as for lines... get a a thicker enamel and use a thn brush... those pens you can buy really suck. you can also use lace and cut it out and make lines and heat press or blow it on... it all depends. But im no longer into that stuff, didnt do it much but what can I say...

3. b-tuvs

b-tuvs Member

Gundamn-IT!!!

Thanks for the HOT tip, but what kind of paint do you use for the body??? Is it Enamel, Acrilyc or something else???

4. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Usually the guy at the Hobby store you buy your kits from is very helpful with showing you what paints to use.

Even if you go to Walmart, there are paint selections from companies like Testors, right in the same aisle as the plastic car/gundam kits.

If you have plastic models, then you need to use paints for plastics. If you are using resin, then you need a different paint. It's good to always read labels and if you are buying online, please ask the sellers your questions before wasting your money.