Current Affairs Hurricane Katrina

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jackabee, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Sabrina

Sabrina New Member

Our school is collecting donations..as well as several other schools across the U.S. im sure...Its so breathtaking how things can be taken away from you so quickly...I'm so worried about all the family and friends that live down there that i havent contacted...i have a 2 month old cousin that lives down there with my aunt and her family that didnt evacuate...it's so scary..I, living in Missouri, couldn't even imagine what the people must be going through...it brings tears to my eyes whenever i see the devestation that Katrina caused...
    I guess all i can do is give as much as i can and pray that everyone that i know is ok...and for that matter those i dont know..so many people...
    -SJ

2. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

they are closing down my school next week, no gas for the buses. Its kinda sad. Alot of people died. We didnt see much of it in Brewton just Mobile. My school raised about 500 in just two days..i was like whooo!!! So many of those storms lately. Im kinda scared. Im right where everything is coming on.. I thought Ivan was bad. They had so many cars lined up at the inerstate i almost screamed out at people to get out of the way..but didnt have the heart too..my my this is a tragedy...

(ps. Blue has came back..and deleted that post)

1 person likes this.
  3. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Well the hurricane Katrina took out the third largest supplier of oil for gas in the U.S. my paper said that. It is affecting some of us. I would love to help out but right now I can't afford to all I can send out is my hope for them. I hope it is good enough. With gas prices raising I don't know what to do. Some places where I am at it is $3.249 a gallon in U.S. dollars. I heard one state was at $6 a gallon.

4. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

Yes, the gas is crazy now.. but I thought it was funny because, One of our Teachers has friends who live down South and work at an oil refinery and they were talking about if they did make one more barrel of oil they would have no place to put it because there were so full of oil in storage.. and she is a teacher who wouldn't have any reason to lie about something like that to other teachers about.. ( yeah I was eves dropping)

Yeah, the other night ( I think last night) they were talking about that there were two Air Planes Heading to Kansas City, and people that were on board were from the the disaster.. and the people are going to get to live in one of the most Desirable locations in Kansas City or the Kansas City Metro.. but it didn't tell excatly were.

My parents went to the red cross and donated money today, I was really happy about that. I was watching the news today and they were talking about they were going to start on the search for bodies and stuff, really it is sad. Like just thinking about all these people who were just... there and gone the next second. I am really sorry for these people because, most don't have anything to start from. There houses, banks, town, and everything that they held close is gone and it will be years before it is all back and what are these people to do for these years?

Today.. I heard something that made me just give a blank face.. President Bushes wife told this Lady to make sure to get her children back into school so they would have a more normal life.. I thought.. what schools? I think that some people need to take a step back and try and look at the whole picture of what happend and what is going to be done, instead of worrying about things that at this time are not so important. but any who.. I am glad that things are starting to happen down there, even though there is sooo much to do, they are now starting to work at this long haul.

1 person likes this.
  5. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Not just you either.. here the gas is about $5.30 Canadian a gallon (around $1.40 a litre), or $4.46 American. After the conversions from litres to gallons, it averages out to that much. But, we have our own reserves here so it just seems our gas companies are profiteering from the situation.

This is affecting all of North America.. I really hope that nothing is going to happen, such as a large economic crisis. With gas prices, it will be more expensive for products to be shipped, prices in stores will increase - along with the cost of living. I'm sure we'll get through this.. But first we need to rescue those people from New Orleans and the surrounding area.

6. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Ask Mr Bush that... in yesterday's interview with abc he said he didn't ask for any. He said that America can handle the problem. But being one of America's main ally, I'm sure Britain will help out one way or another.

He's not really helping the situation, he seemed careless on a few occassions.

- Shen

1 person likes this.
  7. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

What I find really annoying is that those people who are reporting about all this stuff are just standing there reporting instead of helping the.....ah screw it, I'll just let Foamy explain it. Click on the picture to the left of "Foamy: Hurricane Katrina Report". If you don't think you're mature enough for it, don't watch.

8. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

If you want to give money to help fix the damage but you don't have a way to give it or don't have any to give, click here.

9. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

the link inthe second post is broken cause it had a session log out time... I donated 5 dollars to help the victims...but that was all i could do cause im a poor highschool student without a job and i hate the fact that there are idiots that only care abuoto their lose like gas and crap...im so with Foamy ten fold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Fact of the matter is, Oil companies are taking advantage of everyone in this crisis.. I mean you jack prices on gas that bad, then everything else will go way up as well,.. Food, clothing, yada yada..
    How are the average ppl who Can help donate a litle bit of money going to donate money when all of a sudden they can barely afford to get to work for the week because now they have to pay so much more for everything..

Frankly the sad thing is The US government has SOO much suplies stocked up around the country that really its not a big problem to get help to those areas.. Its that the government does not give a ****.. hell they are more concerned about some stupid court judge who died the other day.. WHO CARES ABOUT THAT.. thats just one old guy who lived a full life..
    Thats whats really sad about the situation.. IS the people who have the Real supplies to help and make a difference.. are not helping..

11. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

Huh....I checked it when I made the post and it went where it was supposed to go. Not sure what's going on but it might get fixed later.

12. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

Well, the family that I had in Mississippi are okay. I don't think I posted about them, but yeah.. the good news is that there fine. There in Rich Hill right now staying with my Aunt Diana.

My town has like a Military Base thing called Camp Clark, and people from New Orleans are comming in to stay there. What is really sick is that most of the people in my town are mad about it, because they think all the thugs are going to come here.. some people need a real reality check. It is sad to even think about it.
    I am glad to hear that Wal-Mart will be hiring anyone who was from New Orleans and had to move, I think it is really nice for them to do that..

13. Jackabee

Jackabee Captain Jackabee Sparrow

The Politics of Hurricane Katrina
    I am really annoyed that a lot of people are argueing who should get the blame for the response to Hurricane Katrina taking so long. I mean come on they can do that later, right now they should show their condolenses to the victims and work on getting the region back on its feet. In other news I heard that our college raised nearly a million dollars... I kinda wonder about that though. The efforts by the comminity are wonderful. I hope that with our help the people devistated by the hurricane will be able to rebuild and begin a new.

14. Jet

Jet New Member

I think the government can be blamed for not handling the situation very well. One of the largest cities in the country and the lower portion of the state is underwater, and they didn't have a plan to get them out? I see a problem with the government.

15. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

I think in times like this, nobody is to blame. I mean, come on- it's a force of nature.

Regardless, I donated a lot of clothes and a little money (but mostly it was clothes because I have VERY little money!) I hope it helps...

16. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

the issue here isnt so much the actual hurricane as it is the aftermath of katrina. its been handled very very poorly and theres no excuse for that. there are many people to blame.

17. Jackabee

Jackabee Captain Jackabee Sparrow

I still think that rather than worrying about who to blame, that they should instead work on fixing what ever mistakes were made. They should be evacuating those who will leave and atleast try to provide food and water to those who refuse. I think that every one was delayed in reacting to it... I mean look at our board here. I was suprised that no one had posted before I did. I am wondering how much is of this(Hurricane Katrina & after math) is still on the news. I do not have a TV in the dorm, I don't get the newspaper and I don't listen to the radio so I really don't know much. I did not know what had happened, I had to find out. I new there was a huge hurricane and that it was hitting New Oreleans (online satelite pictures) but I knew nothing of the destruction at the time becuase my state was next... My sister lost power, I didn't even know this until this weekend. A lot of people don't have excuses... but we can pretend for right now and ignore the whole blame game for the time being right? Aren't those people more important then pointing fingers and saying you should have been there five hours earlier? If the jerks down there are only rescueing the white people then shouldn't we replace them with people who will help regardless of social status? I want to help rebuild. I want to find a way down there so I can help make new homes. I want to work for habitat for humanity... they will be there eventually right? I want to do something I am good at and at the same time help people. I want to take up a hammer, some nails, and wood and put together a place that someone can call home, a place where they can heal and begin again. Some people might have died because of others neglegence, but right now there are so many others in pain who need our help. Blaming others won't bring back the dead, it never does. All we can do is move on and help others to move on as well.

If you must blame some one then blame those who are still not doing anything to help.