Philosophy I had a deep thought today, AND I REMEMBERED IT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SaberJ2X, Jun 11, 2006.

1. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I have had a few of these deep thoughts before (3 that I remember I had... but I forgot them)

if people believe in re-incarnating... I know I do...
    WHY... are we concious of this life?

another thing is...
    if we simply forget everything after we die.. and if we die and the memories are stored in the brain (think of it as a HDD to understand my thought) why are we concious right now, a person that gets amnesia simply forgets he has lived all his life.

:confused:

2. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Um, why wouldn't we be? Like, do you believe in reincarnation in the sense you are awakened? Or otherwise?

3. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

If we were another person like someone important from 18??, we won't remember it. In reincarnation (from what I know of it), you forget everything you ever did of your passed lives when you die and go into another person. Buddhism (again from what I know), believes in reincarnation. The caste system in India was based on reincarnation.

But if he/she was talking about this life we are living right now, then we will forget about it when we die and go into another person.

(Take note that I don't believe in reincarnation but I'm just stating the things I know of it)

And for the second part, I don't understand what you mean. Could you explain more, please?

4. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

@Lance
    you understood my point quiet well.

the thing is, why we are concious right now.
    since we are going to forget it all when we die

it's like getting horrendously drunk, party out all night
    YOU KNEW you partied it, because everyone has told ya
    but you didn't knew because you were so horrendously drunk
    kinda like amnesia all you knew is that you woke up in the bed/garden/car

5. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Well, the thing that has to be practically understood here, is that even in a hard drive, when you delete things from your computer, they're not really completly gone.

There's special programs or hackers that can bring that stuff back.

However, just as well as they can erase it.

The thing is, the thoughts can't really be completly erased. They'd need to be somewhere. Afterlife, maybe?

If it's reincarnation, then yes, it's an amnesia process, though you loose self awareness if you ever were.

The thing is then, you're not completly yourself. You lost yourself, for instance. In this life, I like anime, but in the next, I could hate it, maybe because I'd not be introduced to it, or whatever possible reason. But if it comes to that, that means that I'm not myself.

That being the case,what happens to the original? To the thoughts of the first life.

Could I be the reincarnation of somebody? Yes, there's a possibility to that, but I'm not technically that person, I am me, since I have the ability to make the choices I want to make, therefore eradicating free thought of the previous life.

So it's pretty much one point going back and forth in an endless cycle. Preety much all I've done, is raise more questions :p

-Seishin

6. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

Raise more questions, give us more headaches :p

Well, like what Seishin said, you can't change who you are now, you're just you, I'm me and.....someone is someone :p Point is, we are concious of this life of ours. We won't know any other life because we aren't them. No matter how we look at it, we're still us. I act different, you act different, Seishin acts different, we are act different because we are our own person. In my opinion, there can't be another me. I'm unique for who I am. Seishin is unique for who he is. We are all unique because no one can be the same person as yourself. We won't be concious of another life we've lived, just this one.

7. Alchemy_Dude

Alchemy_Dude is addicted to bad ideas.

Who are we but the sum of our experiences? If reincarnation does exist, wouldn't it explain the feeling that you've done something before, even if you're doing it for the first time? After all, some people are nothing like their parents, and act as if they were living a completely different life than they are. Reincarnation does make sense in certain situations. Maybe our past lives are stored deep in our subconscious, and are never actively known.

8. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

I quite agree with A_D. I'll be doing something or be somewhere I've personally never been to or seen, and one little movement or something like that, and I have a strange feeling this is all familiar. As for the amnesia/ reincarnation thing, I honestly don't believe you truly lose your memories. Memories can't simply be erased, even for amnesia, though most think that that is what happens. I think that one's memories are hidden from them. Locked away deep inside them, and the only thing keeping those memories from resurfacing is the person themself. A stimulus would help, yes, but the person has to truly believe and really want to remember, in order for those stimulus to work. Of course, this is just what i think.

9. Athena

Athena Wisdom comes with Sadness

From what i've come to understand and learn is that when one dies they are reborn and those memories are somewhere in our subconcious mind therefore accessible if one truly wishes to use that infromation. From what i've been taught it is that one goes through so many lives so that one can learn from each life and gain an understanding for many positions one may end up in during the course of one's life, or lives. I've been taught that one can access those memories in order to, perhaps, help them make better decisions in the life they are currently living so that perhaps they may finally find peace.

10. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Reincarnation- I also would like to believe in it. But we hope that there is something next. Cause it would suck if we just died.