Television I miss the Old Sesame Street...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Lady Aoi, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

That most of you probably don't remember too well, because I'm in my twenties.

:_: Back in the 1980s, Sesame Street used to be so delightful and campy! Disco still hadn't really died out yet, or if it had, no one at Jim Henson's studio had taken much notice. Cheezy 70s music filled the airwaves whenever Sesame Street came on, and cartoons involving psychadelic pinball machines taught me how to count to twelve. Times were more innocent in those post disco days. Bert and Ernie were not considered sexual deviants and therefore had more interesting Neil Simon-inspired sketches involving pigeons and trips to the moon, as opposed to the inane sketch involving Ernie's discovery of an elephant in his sock drawer which I witnessed tonight. And I swear, if I see one more muppet or human superimposed on a poorly animated background (a la the ridiculous indiana jones-esque 'X' sketch that just came on), I think I really will cancel my monthly check to PBS.

Tonight's episode of Sesame Street only slightly redeemed itself by featuring modernist painter Chuck Jones' work, as introduced by Big Bird. But what followed was shameless: Elmo's World. I shudder to describe it.

I miss MY sesame street. The world has changed so much. And I think I can say this change was not for the better.

~ Aoi

2. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Well .. I know Sesame Street long time a go .. but I dont miss it though .. ^_^v

3. neoblacklady

neoblacklady ~*Tpyo Godedses*~

it was better in the old days.....just like nick jr.
    a lot of stuff has changed.....many shows seem questionable now......it sucks....david the gnome!!!! i miss him
    sorry i cant spell it.

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Yes, I miss much of ye olde tutelage (i.e. old school). The Gummy Bears, Sesame Street, Ninja Turtles, SNICK, Samurai Pizza Cats, Robotech, the REAL Power Rangers/VR Troopers...etc etc.

Oh! And G.I. Joe...not that stupid and dorky "G.I. Joe Xtreme" crap. The real deal with Snake Eyes, Lady Jay, Duke, Cobra Commander, Destro, Storm Shadow...

5. SSJ4Goten

SSJ4Goten New Member

ive watched it before but im only 13

i do miss it kinda even though i only watched a couple episodes i still remember that the beetles where my favorite group and i listened to flock of seagulls when i was 2 lol i didnt know who they where i do miss samuri cats too i watched that when i was 7 i think and they dont air it anymore

6. neoblacklady

neoblacklady ~*Tpyo Godedses*~

I know!!!! whatis up with this guys these days???
    They screwed the old shows and brought these unreal stuff to tv that you can tell is so fake. i dont know what happen to power rangers. i guess they dont care anymore...and all those shows on nick.....dora...(i like bob the builder lol) but what really were they thinking? maybe drunk...
    and that old show fuzzy little popoyles i dont know
    care bears....even the disney show is....i remember when they use to play music videos in the morning...they were so nice..

7. SSJ4Goten

SSJ4Goten New Member

any one ever watched...

beetleborgs it gay and sooo stupid but i used to watch it ne1 remember that show it was really cool back then and stuff i watched alot of the old shows

8. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Y'know...Goten, commas and periods and other placeholders make for an easier conversation. :D

Anyway, "Bettleborgs" was an old japanese show too. So was "Masked Rider" which I think did a poor (not piss poor, like PR and VR and BBs) of keeping story. I remember VR Troopers (well, remember the original name) in the Philippines, where the main character was some...24+ year old Japanese actor.

And you know what show I thought was awesome? "Superhuman Samurai: Cyber Squad"! I don't know...it was just...cool! DORKY, but cool!

9. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

Yes, SSJ4Goten, Beetleborgs is a terrible show. The new power rangers episodes are terrible, too (although honestly, I was never really a fan of Power Rangers).

When I was younger (7-14ish), I used to love watching cartoons after school. Duck Tales (anyone remember that?) was a particular favorite, as were Gummy Bears, Tale Spin, and many excellent shows on PBS. James Earl Jones hosted a show called "Long Ago and Far Away" which featured animated and stop motion versions of famous and not-so-famous childrens' books like "Abel's Island" and "The Wind in the Willows". Thomas the Tank Engine was called Shining Time Station and Mister Conductor was played by Ringo Starr himself. To me, Disney and PBS programs of the 80s and early 90s were all about telling great stories, even if the animation wasn't as developed as it is today.

But I agree with neoblacklady. The shows on today are really paltry. Sesame Street was so good in my day and age. And now it's all about CGI muppets and that little giggling red monster. "Elmo in Grouchland" couldn't hold a candle to "Follow That Bird!", a sesame street move that came out when I was five or six. "Follow That Bird!" focuses on Big Bird's placement in a family of birds because a nosy social worker thinks he'd be better raised with his own kind. Although one may or may not agree with that kind of message, it was, nonetheless, dealing with an important topic (adoption) and the meaning of family. "Elmo in Grouchland", on the other hand, deals with Elmo learning how to share. And, I'm sorry, but with the way American TV shows drill messages about sharing are drilled into children's heads these days, it's a wonder we all haven't become a culture of bleeding hearts!

Why is it that we live in such an advanced age, and yet our tv programming rarely mirrors our development? I just don't believe things worked that way ten, twenty years ago.

I hope the length of this post doesn't seem weird to you guys, especially coming from a 22-year-old. I just feel very connected to my childhood, I guess *shrug*.

10. rei

rei New Member

i miss super grover, and those cute alien things..
    these kids today dont know what they missed out on.. elmo is over rated..

*heart* rei

11. GenericHero5

GenericHero5 All Ska Super Star

Elmo's not overrated, hes just gay...
    Anyways...I remember the old school childhood shows, such as David the Gnome, Allegra's Castle (Written by RL Stein, no less...), the Old GI JOE, which is still on cartoon networks, Samarai Pizza Cats, and, and, and goddammit, i want my Inspector Gadget back! BRING HIM BACK NICKELODEON!!

12. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

DARKWING DUCK! He is like...the BOMB! And yes, Inspector Gadget was great too!

"I am the terror that flaps in the night...
    something incredibly stupid here
    more stupid things here....
    I AM...
    DARKWING DUCK!"

BUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

13. rei

rei New Member

ack.. darkwing duck was terrible!! i was more about the tail spin and duck tails.. mr. rogers was mind numbing fun too..

*heart* rei

14. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

ahem no one mentioned Transformers?
    Blasphemey anyone?

Yeah the old Seseme St was far better.
    And those cool 70 style animations they had.

one two three four five.......six seven eight nine ten..........
    eleven twelve

I loved that bit.

Yeah Bert and Ernie weren't considered gay back then either.
    I hate when people say that. They just go and ruin your childhood in one sentance.

15. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Actually, I didn't add Transformers because my uncle has taped episodes and I bought the movie as soon as I had my checking card. So...I *CAN'T* miss it...unless you people do, then I won't say nothin'. :D

Rei, I can voice for Tale Spin too! I just like the Duck because he's an idiot...and he calls Launchpad an idiot. :D But, like everyone says, "to each their own." :D

Hehehe...here's my moment of Sesame Street which I tried to emulate...two years ago :sweat2:

"One cookie...two cookie...three cookie...four cookie...NO MORE COOKIE!! NUMNUMNUMNUMNUMNUMNUMNUMNUM!!!!"

16. sailorvenus

sailorvenus 24 days to go...^^

I love Sesame Street! Me and my younger bro use to watch it every morning! I like it still....hehehe....I'm 19 and I still love it! HAHAHA!!!!!! :shy3:

17. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

I don't really miss the Old Sesame Street, seeing as I never watched it much, but there are so many old cartoons that are infinately better than the garbage they show today. Like, The Tick, Earthworm Jim, Transformers, MASK, that show about the Ewoks, Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, and many more. I wish they'd show them again. Those bastards. And now, when someone comes up with a good cartoon, Invader Zim, it's cancelled after only 2 seasons. TV people deserve death. The only cartoon that I think is good that is still being made is Hey Arnold, off my head anyway. It's a damn shame, but who's to blame? TV people, that's who.

18. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Yeah and Ren and Stimpy. That should have ran for at least 10 years. But Nickolodean fu*ked over it's creator(John something or other, did a project on him in college) big time. Those bastards I'd just love to beat them to death. I can't express how much I hate those ****s. One of the best animations of the 90s and they got rid of it.

The only kids cartoon I like these days that's on TV is that Jackie Chan show. That's kinda cool.
    Bear in mind I don't have cartoon network.

19. GenericHero5

GenericHero5 All Ska Super Star

Earthworm Jim!!! He was great....
    And Freakazoid!
    and and and and
    and i miss my childhood :sad:
    i feel old now

20. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

Dude. ::remembers Freakazoid::
    Now there was a super-hero. :p One who didn't need to fly, just run around with his arms out making "whoosh"ing noises. And I think they started showing Ren and Stimpy repeats on MTV or something or another, late night... though not sure if it's still on or what. ::can't remember the last time he watched something outside of a DVD, small claims court show, or Law and Order::