Computers i need help fast

Discussion in 'Computers' started by arcbattle7, Aug 5, 2004.

1. arcbattle7

arcbattle7 New Member

i ran spybot and it said would u like to delete files so i did but now when ever i try to open a program i get an error it says the file does not have a program associateded wit it in performing this action. create an assoction in the folder options in the control panel i cant open any programs except aol. can sum plzz help me i dont know wat to do

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Are you talking about opening a program or a file? It sounds like you are trying to open a file (which for some reason no longer is associated with any program)

At any rate, if I remember correctly, Spybot makes backups before it undertakes any changes, so you should be able to undo whatever it did fairly easily (a rollback)

3. arcbattle7

arcbattle7 New Member

i deleted spybot tho

4. MamiyaOtaru

heh why'd you do that? the damage had already been done. Oh well. It might have left the backup data. I would try reinstalling it and see if you can make use of the hopefully left over backups.

But, you didn't answer my first question. Is your problem that you can't start programs or that you can't open files in Explorer/My Computer? What happens if you do Start->run->notepad for example? I would hope that works :D Can you launch programs from the start menu?
    have you tried doing this?

5. arcbattle7

arcbattle7 New Member

yes i have treyed doin that i cant open control panel. i cant open programs. i can open files but it wont let me install anything or uninstall anything. so i deleetd all spybot files but i didnt unistall it. but i dont know how to get files back im not really that great wit comps as u can see :(

6. MamiyaOtaru

hunch: is your homepage currently set to outhost.info ? (don't go there) IE, is that the site that comes up when you start your browser?

And you say you can't get to control panel.. can you run explorer? Press start button, select run and type in explorer You should be able to navigate to the control panel. If you can't, boot into safe mode and try again.

The best place for help with this might be http://forums.techguy.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54 Sounds like you have a rather nasty bit of malware of some sort, and not one that I've ever run into. Hopefully they can answer your questions there. They will likely ask you to try running Hijack This, available here: http://www.richardthelionhearted.com/?url=merijn.richardthelionhearted.com Again, if you can't run it, try in safe mode.

And hopefully when you are all fixed up you can post some more here about happier topics like anime :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I know it's not the best thing, but could he, if he ran windows xp, go into safe mode and do a system restore, MO? it wouldn't help if he was hijacked with bots, but it may bring back his earlier settings.

8. arcbattle7

arcbattle7 New Member

umm how do i put it in safe mode lol

9. Valant Rapitor

Valant Rapitor A Hungry Weeble

It would help, I believe, to know which files were actually deleted. But, if you've already deleted Spybot and thus the logs, we won't know that, and since we don't, we won't be able to restore files. Thus, your best bet is probably to backup what you want, format, re-install.

10. arcbattle7

arcbattle7 New Member

ok i tryed to restore my comp back to first day i got it but i cant do it cuz i cant open up system restore so how do i do it

11. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Erm...to go into safemode:

Restart Computer - Press F5 (Correct me if I am wrong).
    Later, choose "Start Windows XP Safe Mode".

When entering Windows, Starts > Accessoriers > And search for System Restore there. Just follow the directions.

- Teddz

12. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

F8 teddz ^^;
    (nice siggy btw :p)