Computers Imagine All your JPEG files 0KB

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Suzu, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

My images are gone! I can't open them with a photo editor program, I get messages saying that the computer can't determine they type of file. I've check the details and spotted that the size of every single image is 0KB. The only Jpeg images that I could open and survived are ones that were compressed in zip files. I do not know what to do? I guess this means I've lost them forever T__T :(

2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

What happens when you save a jpeg off the net? Does it revert to 0k as well? It's probably a stupid question because your unzipped images are fine now. I silly me, I'd do a system restore on my bloody computer.

do you remember what you did before this happened?

3. Valant Rapitor

Valant Rapitor A Hungry Weeble

Huh. It looks like all the data's been stripped from those files. Wonder what happened there. Could be a virus, but I heavily doubt that a virus would only target image files.

1 person likes this.
  4. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I think things went wrong when I got the IE browser Hijack, I can't remeber what I could have done. Maybe it's a worm or trojan...

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yep, that is a known viral activity. There are a few that strip the data from target file types such as .jpg, .bmp, .xls and .doc

Update your detection software and remove the damaging sucker. And then, hopefully you can recover those files via a System Restore or a third party undelete program.

1 person likes this.
  6. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Scan through with "hijack this" or with, in my opinion - the best anti-spyware program , Spysweeper.

And as BMS said, use System Restore since it's the best way to "solve" problems like these.

1 person likes this.
  7. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Thank you for helping me ^__^! I restored my system, but I lost the images.

8. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Well, we can always help you by sending you images and finding the ones you lost. But the images you drew yourself unless someone saved them, may be lost if not in your gallery. Ok, so no more e-mails from you Suzu? I was happy you cared :p and I'm happy you did a system restore, I know Matt and I said you should, but did the restore do anything to help you or no?

9. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Yes the restore helped a lot :) . My computer performance has improved greatly;). Again thank you very much for the help and I terribly sorry about this. I'm deeply embarrased and ashamed of not having a proper antivirus. I hope no one suffered from this. Again I'm sorry..

10. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

It happens to most of us Sooz. Now please stop apologizing. ^____^