Debate Immigrants

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Crow, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

This is a touchy subject,I know.Keep in mind that I am in no way racist.I believe that everyone is created equal regardless of skin color or religious background.Although,I feel that there are a few things that are debateable about this topic.

For instance,I find it disturbing that when someone goes to college in America they are almost always required to learn Spanish.If an immigrant wishes to seek his or her dream by coming to America for work,I think they are obligated to learn English in order to communicate with the Americans that work here.I think it's rediculous that Americans have to go out of their way to learn an entire new language just to fit the needs of some immigrants.If they so badly want to work here,I don't think it's asking too much of them to learn the language of the country they will soon be living in.

Another thing is the free money immigrants get for college in America.This is actually quite upsetting.The Americans that work and sweat for their college money are forced to settle for lower paying jobs because an immigrant that got free money from the government has taken all the good ones.It's not that I don't think they should go to college,I just think they should have to work for their living just like every one else.

I know I sound like the average backwoods hick that doesn't realize that the times are changing and thinks he's still in the 1940s,but it's how I feel.Once again,I am not racist.It's the government that's upsetting me,not the immigrants themselves.

How do you all feel about this subject?

-BC

2. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

You made a lot of good points Blue Crow. I dont think we should be required to know Spanish or any other language in school or on the job. Immigrants should also be responsible for learning to communicate.

I also think that immigrants should have to pay for college just like the Americans unless a sholarship is involved. If we are all equal then something such as college shouldn't just be handed to someone while another had to work for it.

I dont know if this relates to this topic but I remember a debate about one college that was spotting African Americans some extra points on entrance exams. I think that is wrong because all people of all races are capable of studying and learning the same material.

Im not racist but I think if immigrants want to be equal in America then they should have to work at achieving their goals too.

3. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

What part of the country do you live in, Blue Crow? I live in an area with an enormous amount of Latinos (San Jose/San Francisco Bay Area), and I don't know of anyone who felt a need to learn Spanish. So I find it extremely unlikely that people living anywhere other than perhaps Los Angeles or Southern New Mexico and Texas feel they *need* to learn it. It might come in handy every once in a while, but it's certainly not essential.

I've never heard of immigrants getting free money for college except with *very* special scholarship programs like the Fulbright Scholarship (Which my mother received way back when she was living in Cyprus). So can you prove that immigrants, legal or illegal, are getting free money?

That's affirmative action, which is indeed a completely different debate. Much as you would like to believe, African-Americans are *not* on the same playing field as whites or Asians when it comes to getting jobs in America (Look at nationwide unemployment and poverty rates if you want proof), so I like affirmative action. Like I said, though, almost unrelated.

Don't worry, you two. You haven't said anything racist so far. I would like, however, to hear the differences on how you would treat legal and illegal immigrants.

4. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

I heard somewhere that spanish was a very .. very common language in the US, almost more so than english..

.. also I saw it in scrubs :)

and for god's sake.. they're black, not african american. i doubt half of them have even been NEAR africa. black is not a dirty or racist word.

5. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

Well where I live, you need to know another language. In Europe everyone there knows around 3 other languages. Spanish will be the most spocken language in the world soon, and is just over all a good language to learn

6. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

well, im from australia. and every school in australia has a japanese class(usually, if the school is big it also has a class of chinese). and i think that its a great idea because so many japanese and chinese ppl choose to work or study or immigrate or just come 4 holiday to australia. and its very useful to know their language, bcause u can easily get a job in a japanese or chinese restaurant or a giftshop or a travel agency(where alot of japanese and chinese clients coming). the city where i come from has around 30% population of japanese and chinese and if u can understand what they r talking about u feel so smart :catgirl: .

7. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

I was doing some research on a college nearby and it says that in order to complete a course on Culinary Arts,you must take several Spanish classes in order to communicate with your fellow chefs.

Well,I've seen cases where immigrants were given grants from certain government organizations.But if by "proof",you mean that have scanned documents and news reports,then no.But then again,can you disprove it?;)

I think that foreign language classes are a great idea as well.I just don't agree to being forced to learn a language when it isn't even necessary.

-BC

8. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

Well BlueCrow, you sound sort of like an *** by starting this topic...

first of all English is said to be the 2nd hardest language to learn, it takes actually years to learn it while learning practically the spanish language fluently takes about 4 years in high school. My adopted sister has been living with us for over 1 1/2 years, she came from China, she has lots of problems with speaking and understanding the english language, it is very complex for her- were trying to teach her german so it will be easier for us to speak with us.

9. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

If the course's syllabus indeed says explicitly that you *must* speak Spanish (That is, you cannot expect to do well without knowing it), than I agree with you and think it should be changed. It'd help if you could verify it, though.

You're the one making the accusation, so the burden of proof is on your shoulders. If you can't find a single link or fact to support what you're saying, than it's quite possible you shouldn't have said it in the first place.

10. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

i think it's funny americans complaining about immigrants...

think about it..

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Whoop de doo. I have to learn french if I want to take a government job, but do you see me complaining? No, because I'm just not going to take a government job. True, French is an official language in Canada, but depending on the area you are in, Spanish may be large enough to create cause for this.

The onus is on you to prove your point, you shmuck. It's not up to me to research YOUR point.

Except that you aren't forced to learn it. In Canada I am forced to because it is part of my mandatory schooling, but a college selection is nowhere near mandatory because you can pick other courses, schools, or not even go at all.

12. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

I'm sorry that I've tarnished your perception of me,but I was simply trying to present a situation that I thought was debateable.I understand that English can be difficult for foreigners to learn,but that doesn't automatically make it the English speaking citizen's responsibility to bend to their needs.I'm sorry if that makes me sound self-centered,but that's the way I feel.

Haha,yeah,I guess you're right.No one's got it worse than the American Indian.

Yes,it's true that you aren't really being forced to learn it because you don't have to go to that college,but I was trying to say that if that school was the only one in your state that offered a certain course you had to take(which most likely wouldn't be the case),you would have to learn an entire new language when it isn't even necessary.

Well thank you for being so civilized about it.A simple "I disagree" would have sufficed. :rolleyes:

-BC

13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Then go to a different state college, duh! And don't play the cost card on me either, I have a housemate from Minnesota who survives on EIGHTEEN CANADIAN DOLLARS A WEEK here in one of the most expensive cities to live in in Ontario (the city being Oakville, geographically next to other such sluggers as Missisauga and Toronto).

And why did you ignore our other points? Where is your supporting evidence of this mystery money given to immigrants for college?

14. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Okay, Amon. You made your point. No need for name calling. ;)

15. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Amon, I've warned you at least once now about insults. This is strike 2. Do not repeat this behavior.

This is a worthy subject for debate, as noted by the type of reactions many of you have shown. Blue Crow has valid points, as do some of you debating against him. Please, show the common decency to argue against it using LOGIC and FACTS rather than merely calling him an "Inconsiderate <insert insult>". If his position is so wrong, then you should be able to prove it, no?

- Ark