Philosophy Independence.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yossarian, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

People seem to be fighting for their own independence at an earlier age.

but what does it turely mean to be independent?

Is It...

Living on your own?

making decisions without your parents influence?

Paying your own bills?

Self- Support?

what does it mean to you?

2. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

You kiddies don't know the first thing about independence. Everyone wants it, but no one seems to really know what it means until you've got it, and once you do you find it's not what you bargained for.

Most kids, teenagers and such, seem to think that independence is the right to do as they will- the right to do what ever they want free from the constrictive grasp of thier parents.

In truth that kind of independence is sheltered and not true independence at all. As long as your parents are paying your rent, your food and for your clothes on your back you have to play by thier rules. Even if you think you are free and independent you are, indeed, chained to them and thier shelter.

True independence is being free from that ball and chain. To pay for your own bills, your own food and your own clothes. True independence is Self Support. The act of being able to support the kind of lifestyle you want to live without your parents money.

Once you own your own car, pay for your own food, your own clothes, pay for the roof over your own head and live with your own belongings can you call yourself independent. Anyone who's left the nest can agree with me on that one. It's not easy and it's not what teenager want to believe true independence is, but that's life.

~W

3. Yossarian

this isn't just aimed at teens and younger kids.

toward people in general. teens aren;t the only ones that aren't self-supporting.

4. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

However I believe that Teens are the ones who make the biggest deal about it. I'm just targeting the largest audience. Children really don't know much about independence, nor do they really care. Staying under the protective blanket of thier parents is an instinctive nature built into them. Teenagers start to rebel because it's about time for them to leave the nest and go flock elsewheres on their own.

Still, allow me to take a step back. Who exactly where you thinking of when you created this thread? Who did you have in mind? Who are some of the other people in general you wanted to debate about? I don't want to take away from the real meaning behind your thread.

~W

5. Yossarian

adults, Teens, children, doesn't matter.

whats does it mean to you?

6. Seishin

Seishin Guest

To me,Independence is when:

You don't work for nobody. You're your own boss. Or better yet, you don't work.

No one tells you what to do (not even parents)

No bills

Free of fear, doubts, or worries.

Oh, my bad, I guess I described freedom rather than independece. Scribble out all but the second one, and welcome to the real world....

-Seishin

7. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

independence to me is:
    ( hey dude i kinda took the to heart, most us kids around here have at least one parent and all they do is drink etc etc no need to go into it, and we mostly depend on ourselves..but then again i live in the BOONIES!:D )

1. not having someone who doesnt even do anything for you tell you when to come home at night

2. paying your own bills

3. sleeping in a bed..for free ^_-

4. no drugs or addictions (sorta independence, you dont need anything when your not addicted~! HAH im smart!)

ok im done

8. Orion

Orion Gears

To me, independence means:

-Freedom of speech, life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, yadda yadda yadda.

-Making your own decisions, but letting your friends and family help you with those decisions.

-Somehow, aloneness comes to my mind, because then technically you would be "indipendant", but that's not my view at all.

So there's my views on indipendance in a nutshell.

9. Chane

Chane Audience of One

"How long till I'm my own?
    Independence doesn't start when you leave home"

Dunno, just felt like posting that. From the Tsunami Bomb song, "Take The Reins".

Anyways... the way I see it, you're really never fully independent until you're retired but, eh, that's just me.

1 person likes this.
  10. Roffey

Roffey I'm As Free As A Bird Now

Not to be condescending or anything...

Anyway, just a little FYI:
    I own my own car and I pay for the gas with the money that I earned at my job. I pay for most of my clothes to, with the money that I earned at my job. Basically the only things I don't pay for are the roof over my head and food. In no way am I claiming that I'm fully independent, but I'd say I'm pretty close for 16.

11. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I think that independence isn't about your actual actions, but your potential to act. If you have the ability to act for yourself, to support yourself, and to accomplish everything on your own, then you've already achieved independence.

Suppose that you let somebody treat you to lunch - would they be robbing you of your independence? You're allowing them to treat you. I think that the same goes for many things; sometimes it's just more convenient, if somebody is offering, to let them take care of it.

Just because you know how to do something, doesn't mean you always want to do it.

Heck, are my parents dependent on me because they ask me to go get milk instead of going themselves?

Legally, you can't always actually be completely in control of your own fate.

Complete independence would have to be in a one-person society, which does not exist.

For example, unless you grow your own food, you're dependent on the supermarket, aren't you?

We have to think of independence in degrees.

EDIT: Edited for spelling ^^;

12. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Do the BUMP

Independence has lost it's meaning. Like so many other things.

We no longer eat our kill.

We no longer build our home/shelter.

We no longer make our own clothes.

It's all about paper.

To me independence is only possible when we don't depend on something.