Saber Marionette Initial Reactions?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Think back. When you watched Saber Marionette J for the first time, how did it make you feel? Did you love it even then? Did your opinion change over time? Who were your favorite characters way back when you first watched it? Were they the same as now?

As for me, I'll let you know as soon as I remember.

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

SMJ is what got me into anime in the first place. Until I saw it, I didn't think much of the whole genre. It changed my life. ^^

I've loved every moment of it from the first episode and onward.

I still remember that first night, where I saw the first half of the series. The stoppage of Gartlant's main computer had me in stitches the whole morning after.

Luckily Seraphim is a really nice person - I was able to see the rest of the series, and JAgain thanks to her (and That guy!, whom I hope didn't get into too much flak with her over it).

Did my opinion of it change over time? Definately. It begain as what I regarded as a comedy, with a hint of action. But as all SMJ enthusiants know, it is much, much deeper than that, and I loved it even more because of that. It's a masterpiece.

It started all with Lime, and I do believe it is still Lime in the forefront of my beloved characters.

3. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Me, too! ^_^

I don't remember exactly which chapter was the first i watched (it was on locomotion), but I remember the first moment that hit me. It was when Cherry called 'Master Otaru', with so much devotion...

There was something in that scene that told me... "you need to watch this". And then I couldn't stop - I watched every episode I could!

:) Ah, memories...

4. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

Back to the future, man!

I've posted something about it some time ago in these forums. Here it is

Turning the clock back

The "one year back" was meant for 2001.

Something funny. I've started to watch J to X from episode 25th (also in Locomotion as Luvweaver). At that time I though "these japanese making strange animations as they frequently do".

Right now I think that J to X is a better series than J or J again.

But while as I've started to watch it my preferred character was Lime, I think that now I would chose Panther.

5. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Well, for me, the beginning was three years ago. I was in Grade 10, and, at that point, I still knew very little about anime. I can't really remember everything, but, somehow, I started going to the anime club we had.

I don't remember a lot of that time, but sooner or later, we started watching SMJ. Now, this is where it gets tough. I've really forgotten too much. I can't remember now who my favorite character was, what I thought of it after the first episode, or anything else. I think I can almost remember Lime being my favorite, but I can't be sure. I know that I loved it, and I remember going on an internet search, looking for more of the series, but I didn't find much. (I only got to see up to Program 16)

At some point, I stopped going to the anime club, for reasons I can no longer remember. Two years later, in Grade 12, (this was actually 13 months ago. October, last year, it all started over again.) By sheer chance, I happened to get the same Social Studies class as an acquaintance of mine, who actually turned out to be the person who supplied the now-defunct anime club. (It died after the teacher strike, and all attempts to revive it met with failure)

Anyway, somehow, I found out that she had SMJ, and I asked her to lend it to me. She lent me the entire first series. I watched it in two days, then re-watched it immediately after. Right away, my favorite character was Cherry, at that point. My friend, (because she quickly became one) then lent me J Again, and, I watched it all the night after. I taped the DVDs, so that I could watch it again after I had returned the series to her. I rewatched it quite often in the weeks that followed.

Then, the story picks up again 11 months ago. After a month of waiting, my Ultimate Collection arrived in the mail. Luckily, I was off of school for the Christmas break. Actually, at the time, I was in the middle of rewatching J. but, I cut it off, and started watching J to X. Unfortunately, my mom had made plans with an uncle of mine, and I had to stop to help him move. I was right in the middle! (It was the Phase where Otaru found Akashi, and was told off by him. The second time.)

That whole day went downhill, starting a chain of events that led to me kicking that same uncle out of my life. (For unrelated reasons)

Anyway, after I got back, I immediately picked up where I left off, finishing it in another day.

Lastly, a list of my favorite marionettes, before, and after J to X (because it did change)

Before:

1. Cherry
    2. Lime
    3. Tiger
    4. Luchs
    5. Bloodberry
    6. Panther
    7. Marine

After:

1. Cherry (Come on, you know this)
    2. Lime
    3. Bloodberry (I really liked the emotional side of her that J to X revealed)
    4. Tiger
    5. Luchs
    6. Panther
    7. Marine

Really, though, my love for all of them deepened after J to X. Bloodberry was the only one to move up in rank, though, since Cherry was already at the top.

Heh, my friend said I was a total "Cherry freak." She said she shouldn't have lent SMJ to me, because I was "too in love with the series." Isn't that impossible? :D

For my reactions to Saber Marionette R, check the thread of the same name.

6. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I remember I watch the whole 26 episodes of SMJ2X in 1 day... I was addicted
    I laughed, I cried, I enjoyed it all, I loved the 26 the most I WANT J2X 2!!!!

I wanna see lime and bloodberry and cherry on the university and crap :)

7. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Me too! loco loco

I watched it the first time in locomotion some years ago, although I really didn't watch it. The series had already started and the first thing that I saw were the Saber dolls and Faust. I thought something like "Great, another boobie girls", and I switched the channel (BIG MISTAKE) (There also was in locomotion Aika (Pretty bad) and Burn Up Excess so SM didn't seemed to be different.

After a year I think, I saw SMJ and the first thing that attached me was it's humour. Then it's characters, story, eh I'll resume, EVERYTHING. Since then, I've been re-watching it countless times!

8. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

The wert throws his opinion in once more...

First time I ever heard of it was when a bud of mine (at who's house I am typing this right now) told me about this new anime he had seen at Anime Expo in Anahiem. The name didn't really appeal to me very much so I just kinda shrugged it off. I was already into anime at the time and my fave happened to be Ranma 1/2, the series that got me into anime in the first place. Unlike Jedimdo, it was the flagrant amount of boobies, especially in the second movie, that drew me in. The characters and the storylines kept me.

I went to AX the next year and saw a few eps of SMR and almost all of SMJ Again and I have to admit was impressed. The characters had vivacity and life and the story seemed to be a deep emotional one, laden with comedy. Did I mention that this AX was being hosted at the Disneyland Hotel? I got a kick out of how they tried to fast forward through all the naughty parts in SMR. The happiest place on earth and people were watching the naughtiest moments in life.

But I degress.

About two or so years later my bud got his hands on some fansubs of SMJ. It was about 10 at night, and we didn't have much else to do. I remembered SMJ Again and decided to watch the first season. Well, at about 6 the next morning I FINALLY finished it. My bud had passed out about 5 hours earlier and I was hooked like a smack addict.

I wasn't able to get SMJ again or the SMJ-X until a year and a half ago when they offered up that signed collectors edition. I've gotten through J Again once more and I'm about halfway through J-X. I like to write and SMJ is my muse, so I'm a little afraid of finishing off the series, because when I do, there goes my inspiration. It's just too good.

MmmHmm, yesh indeedy. That there's the honest truth.