Art Interview: Seraphim's Art!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Suzu, May 11, 2002.

1. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Ladies and Gentle men. Welcome. I'm Skuld-chan, your host. I'm going to interview today the talented artist Seraphim.

Hello Seraphim! Konnichiwa! How do you do?
    May we have an interview with you concerning art and your artwork :)?

2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

(lol) I'm doing fine, how are you?
    sure, it's nice to be here, and nice to talk with you ^_^

3. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Well, we are really honored to have you here Seraphim :)!
    So Seraphim, why don't you start by telling us about the time you first held your drawing utensils to create art?

4. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I don't really recall the first time, Skuld-chan. My Mother told me that when I was little, she was going to bring me to a therapist, because I would only use a black crayon for colouring books, disregard the lines and fill the whole thing in with black. She decided to not send me to the therapist when I started using a purple crayon as well.
    I also recall entering a colouring contest for Laura Secord when I was 3. I won a HUGE chocolate bunny, and my whole family at the time sat down and ate it all!

I use to draw little doodles, colour in colouring books, and make those crafts we all did in elementary school. In high school, I was able to use art materials I never owned or used before. Like watercolour, oil paint and pastel.
    It wasn't until I went for watercolour lessons to learn technique, that my watercolour style improved.

5. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

You had the artist's spirit eventhough you were young :)! That's amazing!
    What are your sources of inspiration *object, things, music, ideas that inspire you and lead you to draw*? :D

6. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I've never really thought about that, Skuld-chan. In secondary school, I enjoyed painting anything that was pleasing to the eye. In my last year of art in high school, we had to choose a theme and stick with this theme. I chose, of course since I went to a Catholic high school too, 'The Roman Catholic Faith: A Retrospective' lol.. so I painted images of the Virgin Mary, a Catholic Cathedral, a Crucifixion scene, a Divine Mercy scene that was inspired by a photo I took in Marmora Ontario, and a clay sculpture of a heart, and inside figures of Jesus and myself hugging. I also drew images of the Holy Father, John Paul II, St. Anthony and other things of this nature.
    In my first year of University, I tried my best to place religion in my art. In my intro to media class, I kept making art with a really really Catholic religious nature. I think one of the reasons was not that I liked doing it, but more that I wanted to pi$$ off the professor. She was such a horrible professor. She would spend all her time helping her girlfriend in the editing room.
    In third year drawing, I also painted artwork with a religious nature, yet more abstract images from my mind. The prof. didn't like me much. A lot of professors want you to do things they like. They may say, 'No, I don't want you to do art like him.. I want you to do you own artwork' but subconsciously its not what they want.
    When my niece was born, I took a fancy in placing her in different poses. Like the Mouse outfit surrounded by dolls, or a tea party with toy bears. I don't know, I just like painting cute little kids. I even did commission work for parents when I was in high school. So religion and children are my two passions.
    I do plan to continue painting children, hopefully get some commisions this summer as well :)

7. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Pretty Impressive Seraphim! :)
    Let's Take a look at your drawing style :D
    Are you more into drawing using a realistic style? Or do you prefer to draw anime-like, funcky, catoonish drawings? and why do you prefer this style? :)

8. Inu-Girl

Inu-Girl New Member

That's soo cool you won a contest at the age of three. I could never do that .>_<

9. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Thank you Inu-Girl, Skuld :) I guess by looking at the art in the M2A gallery, I tend to draw and paint more realistically. I guess for me, I like to be challenged in this way. When I was younger, I tried copying photos and still life exactly. I tend now to challenge myself and make images that don't exist, that I have changed somewhat or quite a lot. For example, I was commissioned by Celeste Marty, to paint an image of her three children. The image she gave me had her husband in the photo, she told me to take him out. She as well told me to chang ethe colour scheme to blues and yellows so it could go well in her kitchen. Her daughters face was down and her hair was covering it. I was given extra photos of her daughters face, to substitute and make it so she was looking up, smiling. Well it was really hard. One time I went to Cleeste before I started painting, and she told me the face did not look like her daughter. So I had to fix that. Well, I got it done ^___^
    So I have a lot of fun changing things in still life, life, photos, etc. Sometimes you have to fix glitches.
    When I was younger, I drew a lot of manga and cartoon-like characters. I wished to be a comic-book artist when I grew up.
    I don't know what happened. I guess I just enjoy using water-colour techniques. but what's funny is, I got poor marks in the watercolour section of my second year painting class. The professor and TA were trying to get the students to loosen up and paint more freely, with less detail. I went the other way! I quickly painted trees and what not, but then took time to paint an elaborate setting.
    So, everyone has their own tastes and strengths. I sometimes draw fantastic images from my head, or mutate images of flowers with multicoloured paint and ink. But I guess the majority of my work is realistic. I like drawing the real world.

Attached Files:

10. Inu-Girl

Inu-Girl New Member

I just took a look at the gallery, I love your drawings there beautiful.:)

11. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Amazing.. Just amazing.. Everyone has there special talents. Im still playing with all my talents to figure out which one is my greatist.. Im good at art when i want to be...

KaMe

12. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

lol, thanks guys. I just saw an add in the employment section of the London paper. They want a chicken catcher. Maybe I can be gifted in other things as well ^____^ It's all about the trying ;)

13. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Thank you Seraphim for allowing us to have this interview with you... You are a talented artist... would you like to give any kind of advise to M2A members and our viewers? :D :sweat:

14. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Thanks Skuld! Anytime :)
    Well, as far as advice goes, never give up on dreams. I have a lot of dreams I like to see through.
    I love it when I am painting and drawing. I really enjoy making people happy when giving my works as gifts or as a commission. If art does not really make you happy, find something you really enjoy to do.
    To make money with art would be wonderful, but its not number 1. Number 1 is to enjoy what you are doing and strive to do so much more better in what you enjoy to do.

:):D
    :sweat: another old painting. well, I'll surf the boards and get started on a painting soon. I'm thinking of placing an add in the paper stating if anyone would want a commission work of their children or something :sweat2:

Attached Files:

15. Chibi Meg

Chibi Meg New Member

wow awesoma picture!! ^_^ :) you should put the link up to your web site too so everyone can see :)

16. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

17. Lime

Lime Claude ish MY honey ^.^

Your sooooooooooo good!!!!!!!1 *.* I envy you... ._. Great work!!! I LOVE IT ALL!!! :D Wish I had some of your work... ._.

18. Yuna

Yuna New Member

Wow!! you are such a great artist!!! Did you have any other artworks using Oil paint or anything other then watercolor? you really do have a great talent!
    how old did ya start coloring with watercolour?
    :glazed: Amazing! you are a left handed and you draw so well!
    ^_^ keep up the good work!

19. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

tnx ^____^ hmm I started using watercolour when I was little I guess, you know those little paint kits that come with a brush? well I started using watercolour paint tubes and actual watercolour paper in grade 9 when I was 13 or so. oh sorry.. in grade 9 the teacher still gave us drawing paper to paint on. think it was in grade 11. 15? I think I was 16-17 when I took some lessons on technique. I used to really paste on the paint..

let's see. I have a couple oils and very large acrylics. I know of one right now that I painted in grade 11 that I have here with me. I'll load it up next post I post, k?

In my website, theres a colour pencil crayon drawing of orchids, and a couple silver-point drawings. (used thick paper, and then a silver wire bit tied to a pencil, then scraped in a drawing).

20. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I'm left handed too! Seraphim, you're such a great artist, although I'm sure you must've understood that from everybody else's posts!

My drawings almost always look anime- style or cartoon, but people think they look real because they adapt for the anime style...Ah, if that makes any sense to you guys...sort of psychological.

Seraphim, great artist, better than me! I love you art!