Debate Iraq's New Government

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billy277, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

2. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

My thoughts: if they want it, let them have it. It's their choice, and us denying it to them is oppression, the very thing we claim to be fighting. Then again, I also say that, as far as foreign policy is concerned, if they want it, they should do it themselves, but apparently no one else thinks that way.

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Depends on the extent of how religiously zealous it would be.

4. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

personally i don't think any country should be run religiously. it just segregates anyone of another religion.

5. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

Here's my very personal feelings towards this whole mess......

I feel we did what we set out to do. Enough said, done--Now, let the people of this country run their own lives. We need to bring home our troops and stop having to send more troops over there. Let's just give this freakin country back and if they really want to kill each other or fight over what race is more devine than another, let them take out their own trash. This whole deal of their freedom is costing the US too many good, young soldiers. Me being one of them, I think its time to say --"hey, we cleaned house, now you run the store......"

Victor

6. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

That's really interesting, VM1070. A lot of people feel the same way you do - They supported the war, but now they want to get out. Unfortunately, Bush promised the Iraqi people over and over again that the troops wouldn't be pulled out until Iraq was completely stabilized and a new government was in working order. So he has to either keep troops in for years and years until the Iraqis finally work something out, or break his promise and lose any shred of credibility he might still have in world opinion.

For the record, this was my primary reason for opposing the war in the first place - I was 100% sure that the Kurds, the Sunnis and the Shi'ites would be at each others' throats once Saddam was removed, and the American troops would be caught in the middle.